Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am stationed in Germany and will be here for a long time. I am considering a Bimota from the 90's as they are affordable and we have a large selection. See link below and start drooling.

www.mobile.de

I am considering the following: YB7, YB8, SB7, YB11, SB6R and the SB8R. By the time I return to Texas, the bike will be 25 yrs old so I am looking for something that will be a keeper. Of the models above any one stand out in terms of performance, reliability?

I am used to quirky Italian bikes as I have a 95 Superlight and an 07 ST3S.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi

I have riden all those bikes and previously owned a SB6r and 8r.

If it was my money the most usable of these bikes is the SB6r you can ride it forever, it is comfortable great performance and ready available spares. The 8r would be next but the front end is way to hard in standard trim i had my front end springs changed, then it was one of the best handling bikes i have ever owned. i also tuned my engine to 142 rwhp at great cost but although i thought it was great i sold her on as i fell in love with a KB1.

Strange as it is also look at a SB6 although really the same bike as the 6r it is smaller and feels sportier even with less horsepower. My 6r with titanuim race cans airbox mods plus carbs rejetted gave !40 rwhp which is so usable.
So if you need comfort look at the 6r or if you like the slightly sporty feeling of the 6 go for that.

Sb7: although same as SB6 but with the 750rr engine these generally are if standard come with the fuel injection system which again in stock form is very poor and makes the bike difficult to ride unless flat out. Here in the Uk we have fitted Power commanders to them which changes the bike completlely again making it a great bike to ride, bare this in mind as the added cost all adds up, these are slower than the sb6, but i like them and are a bit more unusual.

YB7: unless you are very small and light as it was really for the Japanese market i would not bother. Without trying to sound sexist the ones i have seen in the UK have generally been owned by women.

YB11: very nice bike, small fuel range, great handling but its unusual riding position i could not get on with. I tried one to buy had it for about an hour loved everything about the bike but could not get comfortable so gladly gave it back.

Good luck shopping

Best advice try as many different Bimotas as you can thats half the fun of window shopping.
let us know what you end up getting

Carl

KB1 (race), SB4s, Mantra, Paul smart replica, Yam 350lc (race)

·
Registered
516 Posts
Wolff,
Given the modern bikes that you have I would be looking at some earlier ones that are really collectible. I see Carl has a KB1..what a terrific bike to own. I have been looking for a long time here in Australia for a KB1/3 or HB2 or SB2/4but have just about given up. Perhaps you can let us know what is available over there. There's not much here!
Ian

·
Registered
605 Posts
The most modern, the SB8R will offer the best performance and the most available parts. Next would be the SB6r, although parts for the 1100 series and its carbs will be less available than the TL Suzuki twin and injection in the 8R. I have both and enjoy both. Performance is fairly close. Dave

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Seems to be a large selection here in Germany. There are a couple YB11s still with VAT on them for 9000 euro. I am exempt from VAT so I could pick up one for 6000 euro or 9000 USD with the piss poor exchange rate.

SB6R are also around 5-6K euros.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Wolff,
Given the modern bikes that you have I would be looking at some earlier ones that are really collectible. I see Carl has a KB1..what a terrific bike to own. I have been looking for a long time here in Australia for a KB1/3 or HB2 or SB2/4but have just about given up. Perhaps you can let us know what is available over there. There's not much here!
Ian
There are perhaps 10 times the number of Bimota's for sale in Germany alone. See http://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/motorrad/ And click under "Marke" to find Bimota (This will change the # of bikes available from something over 90,000 to 88) and then the date is the easiest in my opinion "Erstzulassung von" Erstzulassung is the date it was registered for the road, so it is possible a 93 is a 94 but it is not that important. This way you find all the bikes in the age group you entered (1975 bis=to 1994 for example) (putting in those dates will change the no. of bikes to 13)
Right now there is one HB2 http://tinyurl.com/ycbb6kj and one SB3 http://tinyurl.com/y8tk57a

Some have been there a long time and some come and go like the wind.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I bought my 95 Superlight on Mobile.de. I do troll autoscout 24 and mobile.de and there is quite a selection. I am a former army doc now civilian doc working for the army and I will be in Germany for sometime. Any bike I bring back will be 25 yrs old and exempt from DOT/EPA when I eventually return to Texas. So it looks like an SB6R or a YB-11 would fit the bill as well as a YB 8 or SB8r.

·
Registered
605 Posts
There are perhaps 10 times the number of Bimota's for sale in Germany alone. See http://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/motorrad/ And click under "Marke" to find Bimota (This will change the # of bikes available from something over 90,000 to 88) and then the date is the easiest in my opinion "Erstzulassung von" Erstzulassung is the date it was registered for the road, so it is possible a 93 is a 94 but it is not that important. This way you find all the bikes in the age group you entered (1975 bis=to 1994 for example) (putting in those dates will change the no. of bikes to 13)
Right now there is one HB2 http://tinyurl.com/ycbb6kj and one SB3 http://tinyurl.com/y8tk57a

Some have been there a long time and some come and go like the wind.
The HB2 and SB3 are both quite hard to locate. I have both in my collection, but they were tough to locate and if there are others in the US, they are in long term collections and not likely to show up for sale unless the collections are going to be sold. The HB2 is low slung given the 16" wheelset, but handles quite well. The chassis and bodywork can also be found in its half brother contemporaries, the Kawasaki powered KB 3 and Suzuki SB4. The SB3, on the other hand, is sui generis. The chassis is a twin of the earlier SB2 with its unique method of joining the frame members. Indeed, virtually an SB2 with less radical and slightly more 'modern' bodywork. Only a handful of these out there and I suspect perhaps fewer than the much sought after SB2. If you can acquire an HB2 or SB3 (assuming the bodywork and frame is intact as they would be tough to replace or find parts) grab with both hands. Dave

·
Registered
605 Posts
Just saw the photos of the HB2. Stay away. The bodywork is gone and the rest of the bike looks like it has been turned into a 'Streetfighter' with wheels, susp., etc heavily modified. IMHO, a bastardized bike with neither collector value or much interest as a daily rider -- and overpriced for the latter role. The SB3 looks fine, except I am not sure if that is an original paint scheme. Dave

·
Registered
605 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Dave,
The black HB2 is not worth looking at. The KB3 certainly is. My problem with the link is that when I change the language to English I am redirected to a car directory with seemingly no motorcycle reference. Apologies to Wolff as I didn't mean to interfere so much.
Ian

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Dave,
The black HB2 is not worth looking at. The KB3 certainly is. My problem with the link is that when I change the language to English I am redirected to a car directory with seemingly no motorcycle reference. Apologies to Wolff as I didn't mean to interfere so much.
Ian
No apologies needed. I appreciate all of the input. I think I will start looking for a clean SB6/6R or a YB 11. There was a nice vid on you tube with an SB6R.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9J190qe8J0

·
Registered
605 Posts
Having owned the SB6 (my first Bimota) and since sold, and currently very happy with my SB6R, I would go with the 6R over the 6. They modified the swingarm by making it a tad longer and did some other tweaking of the suspension that made for better hsndling snd ride. I also had, but sold, a YB11. The ride and front end response left me a bit displeased. All things being equal (condition and price) I would go with the SB6R. Dave

·
Registered
516 Posts
Dave,
I was looking at the 3 models that you mentioned and I agree entirely although my conclusions were based on what I could read and find out from talking to people. The YB11 sells cheaply over here and I put that down to the observations made about the front suspension and the lack of feel that the Paoli forks ( Is that right?) give. I think that the improvements to the carburetion on th 6R make it the choice of the SB's.
Ian

·
Flying Brit
1,809 Posts
I think you should also look at a YB7 its small and beautifully made.

I have owned around 15 Bimotas and three of them were YB11's. All of them handled funny, hunting front end in mid corner at high speed. My SB6R wasn't much better. I had Penske make me a 3 way shock which only improved it marginally. I think the forks could be the issue and its sensitive to tire selection. Original Hi-Sports were terrible. The best handling Bimotas I owned was the Tesi 1D , 944 motor with Ohlins kit and the small DB2 with 400 Ducati motor (Jap market only). I'm now down to two YB11s. The motors on these are great and allot of power can be gained with a 1070 kit and internals. Mine has 168rwhp and it's a rocket!

·
Registered
338 Posts
. . . problem with the link is that when I change the language to English I am redirected to a car directory with seemingly no motorcycle reference.
Try http://babelfish.yahoo.com/ and paste in the web page you want to translate. I tried it out with the SB3 and it is not bad but you get the idea of the page. When I first read the German and then the translation it makes more sence but it is better than nothing. If you get VERY serious I can help out a bit if there is time.

As for the colors of the SB3 it states this is a prototype with a special factory paint where only 5 were made. All the others were finished in a silver and sold through the Suzuki dealer network. I presume this means in Germany or Europe.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Bimota KB1 for sale ??

Hi

I have a 1979 KB1 which i am going to put up for sale.
Much restored
Engine has wiseco kit 1105cc
Light gas flow head just to clean her up
29 smooth bored carbs (original items from Bimota)

BOdywork fresh paint with all new bearings

Forks rebuilt
Wheels crack tested and painted by Dymag

Original exhaust, still sounds great

Overall a very standard KB1 still has the original fuel tap.

Mileage shows 11k but little history before me so cant be sure other than what i have said.

Not happy with the paint on the frame so going to do this again then put her up for sale what price do think i could get.

This is not my race bike (never part with that one), but another.

Uk based

Carl

·
Registered
605 Posts
I have an ex-German KB1 which I consider one of the gems of my collection. Good luck on the sale of a rare and highly desirable bike. Dave

1 - 19 of 19 Posts