·
Premium Member
6,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Made a few Fork caps to replace the OEM caps
Raw Billet on left
OEM is on the right

Will not chip and corrode like the stock plated Fork Caps

Will be making a few polished and anodized in black and clear.
But just raw billet looks pretty good

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
very nice! did you consider any other designs besides matching the original? perhaps with a logo cut into the center portion or even a different wrench fitting than the pin-holes (for those who don't have a home-made pin-spanner)?

with the cap modeled and machine programming done, a tweak or two would be relatively simple.
quality work, as always jc!

·
Premium Member
6,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks
I did consider changing the OEM style but in the end this was made to keep the classic look and keep it simple.
Making something that looks different would make it too complicated.

very nice! did you consider any other designs besides matching the original? perhaps with a logo cut into the center portion or even a different wrench fitting than the pin-holes (for those who don't have a home-made pin-spanner)?

with the cap modeled and machine programming done, a tweak or two would be relatively simple.
quality work, as always jc!

·
Premium Member
6,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For the Fork Caps
Raw No Ano or polish is $110 for a set

If you want the Silver or black Polished and anodized add $40 for the set

If your existing O-Rings are good then you can reuse them.
I do have replacement O-rings available

Comparison of Silver Ano billet to Chrome OEM

No big difference in weight
OEM is 3.8 ounce
Billet is 3.6 ounce
the benefit here is the Billet version will not corrode and start to shed chrome like the OEM

Very cool! How much does set cost?

·
Registered
46 Posts
I never really bought anything from you JC. Mainly because I live in Barcelona and that is a ton of ship/handl money to consider buying from USA.

BUT! this fork caps are one hell of an improvement! I really really really like how they're machined... just perfect.

By the way I'm sure you know that the 2006 Monoposto and the GT for instance don't use the same fork caps?

But again this is a project that I was looking to do myself so... pretty well done!

·
Premium Member
6,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the information:grin2:
Yes the part numbers listed for the Cap assembly is different from the 2006 sport to the 2007 models. The 2007 and up Sport and GT share the same cap part number.
This could be a difference in finish. The part numbers for the fork assembly and the stancion tube (upper tube) 349.1.294.1A is all the same as well as all the internals and such are the same.
So the Cap I made should be OK
BUT
to Make sure I will check my stock of Fork tubes at the warehouse and get a 2006 cap and do a side by side comaprison.

Side note the 2006 Ohlin is obviously not the same but I should say for the record the cap I make will not work on the Ohlins :smile2:

I never really bought anything from you JC. Mainly because I leave in BArcelona and that is a ton of ship/handl money to consider buying from USA.

BUT! this fork caps are one hell of an improvement! I really really really like how they're machined... just perfect.

By the way I'm sure you know that the 2006 Monoposto and the GT for instance don't use the same fork caps?

But again this is a project that I was looking to do myself so... pretty well done!

·
Premium Member
6,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Follow up

The part numbers for all the components are the same for the internal parts.
Specifically the part the fork caps screws on to which is the pumping element.
The only number the is different is the fork cap.
The 2006 fork cap is the same in every aspect but the threaded hole is larger on the 2006fork cap.
What is stange is the part it screws on to has the same part number for teh 2006 and 2007 and up

I can make this larger threaded hold on the Billet Fork caps I make
So if you have a 2006 sport and need a Billet fork cap
it is available

Thanks for the information:grin2:
Yes the part numbers listed for the Cap assembly is different from the 2006 sport to the 2007 models. The 2007 and up Sport and GT share the same cap part number.
This could be a difference in finish. The part numbers for the fork assembly and the stancion tube (upper tube) 349.1.294.1A is all the same as well as all the internals and such are the same.
So the Cap I made should be OK
BUT
to Make sure I will check my stock of Fork tubes at the warehouse and get a 2006 cap and do a side by side comaprison.

Side note the 2006 Ohlin is obviously not the same but I should say for the record the cap I make will not work on the Ohlins :smile2:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts