Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

221 - 240 of 242 Posts

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
Coolest. Thread. Ever!

I just saw this thread this morning, now I'm 3 hours behind on my housework!

My dad never really rode, but he appreciated bikes as cool mechanical items.

He took a bike in on a debt once when I was 4 or 5. He only had it for a couple of weeks until he traded it off for a small trailer. Mom didn't want it around.

It was a parallel twin, an Indian as I recall. He got it runny once while he had it, and rode me up and down the dirt road we lived on. I remember because I burned the back of my left leg on the exhaust pipe as I sat on the tank. Mom threw a fit, so no more of that.

But I secretly lusted and saved...and after I turned 18, I bought my first bike....he started something.

(My dad has been gone 10 years now, he would have been 89 this coming July. He was such a fount of knowledge and wisdom...I miss him terribly.)

·
Señor Member
8,189 Posts
I posted this elsewhere but being as this is bikes of our father's, figured it would go well here. My dad was not rider but did enjoy bikes once my oldest brother started riding, giving him a ride once. This picture is of me and my son, back in the mid 80's. He just celebrated his 39th birthday and is a rider himself, having recently sold his Ural.

Attachments

·
Registered
115 Posts
Wow, what a great thread! I don't think I ever would have gotten around to pestering my mom for these.

Anyway, the first picture is from the mid-60s, my dad proudly on his BSA, his brother with the BMW. My dad had a string of motorcycles, but the only one I can remember is his last one, a 50cc Kreidler Florett. Legend has it I once burned my leg on the exhaust, but I can't even find a scar now. Dad stopped riding in the late 70s and the Kreidler spent its life rusting away in the garage.

The second picture is from about ten years ago when my dad and I went on a day-long tour when we rented a big Beemer for him as a surprise Father's day present.

Then when he retired a couple of years ago he treated himself to an R1200C and he couldn't be happier with it. The only downside now is that I've since moved from Europe to the States so we don't get to ride together often.

Attachments

·
AARP Reject
2,926 Posts
Wow, what a great thread! I don't think I ever would have gotten around to pestering my mom for these.

Anyway, the first picture is from the mid-60s, my dad proudly on his BSA, his brother with the BMW. My dad had a string of motorcycles, but the only one I can remember is his last one, a 50cc Kreidler Florett. Legend has it I once burned my leg on the exhaust, but I can't even find a scar now. Dad stopped riding in the late 70s and the Kreidler spent its life rusting away in the garage.
I like that he still fits the same leather. Very cool (and admirable)!

·
Registered
269 Posts

I'll bite. This is a really cool thread.

My dad had a Matchless when he was in college. There is only 1 picture that I know of and we don't know where it is unfortunately. Well the story goes my dad sold it to buy my mom's engagement ring. Well 30 years of marriage and he was still talking about it. My mom passed away and my dad at 60 with some serious heart problems decided to get back in the saddle. He bought a new Victory and tricked it out. He said he was going to get whatever he wanted on it because he didn't know how long he was going to be around. So he did and put miles on it when he could. He brought it out to Nevada so we could ride together a couple times. I took him to Indy last year for the GP and he sat through the hurricane with my wife and I. That was the last trip we got to make. It means a lot more to me now because he passed away this year. The bike is my garage and it will be really tough to ever let it go.

Lots and lots of nice stories and pics in here gents but somehow, this post made me tear up...Them feels...
Ahhh, the things men do for their girls (i.e:selling the bike to get the engagement ring) - i don't think women will ever know or (really) understand how much we love them and care for them...the things we'll do for them...

Seems like a sweet guy, i'm sure you got to enjoy every minute you spent with him...God bless his soul...

Beautiful post, warmed up my black little heart, thanks for sharing friend :)

·
Bon Vivant
10,791 Posts
My dad passed away last October. He had a few bikes and a few scooters when I was a little guy but wasn't really ever into it. He bought me my first minibike when I was 10 and a proper race bike at 13. He used to drop me off at the track and leave... picked me up a few hours later never thought twice about leaving me there to go crazy. What we did together most was fish - I got a boat this last year to fish with Candie - its her thing but I cant help but think of my dad while we are out there

·
Registered
142 Posts
In 1964 my dad bought a Honda trail 90 that I learned to ride on,then in 71 bought a 71 Suzuki TS 125 that was cool but I really wanted a Kawasaki H1 didnt have any pictures of the original ts but I did build one just like it a couple years ago, same year same color. And then I built the H1 I never got .

Attachments

·
Registered
142 Posts
My son in 1979 next to the old water buffalo. I took my motorcycle endorsement test on that bike.
And at 15years old in 1971 on my 69 TS 250 I worked all summer at the local horse race track to pay for that. Shoveled lots of horse crap for that, it was totally worth it.
See what my dad started with that Honda 90

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,727 Posts
This is probably the coolest thread ever on this board!

I'll shoot some pics of the pics soon...my Dad had a Yamaha 305 Big Bear Scrambler in '67 - I was 6 years old. My first crash was riding with him (well, wet grass, 20 mph, but a first is a first!) Got himself a 450 Honda in '72 and a 750 Four in '75, a Goldwing in '77 and an Aspencade in '80, I think. We rode two up a LOT! He gave up riding in the early nineties, though. Sick and tired of the battle to stay alive in traffic. He figured he'd pushed his luck far enough. He still digs bikes, though. So far I haven't convinced him to take the KTM for a spin - he can't swing his leg high enough to get on her - but he IS talking about an old CB450 for sale locally...here's hoping!

My Uncles on my Mom's side were riders. I never met them - they were both killed in car accidents in the late 50's, but I've seen plenty of pictures...Indian guys, the both of them. They both played guitar in bands, too! Seems I'm a chip off the old block.
Sorry I'm late on this reply, but it's fun to go back to older threads sometimes and see if anything new popped up, especially this thread. Talk about some coincidences. I bought my first new bike in 1969, a Honda 450DOHC. For the time, that bike was fast, reliable, and comfortable. The color was Candy Red and fast forward to last year, I wanted to start cruising and my Road King didn't cut it and I was also tired of three chain case gaskets blowing out, once while in the middle of Death Valley. Sold it when I got back and was going to wait until after undergoing a couple of surgeries, but I couldn't help it, I sold the Harley and decided to wait again, but just for fun a couple of weeks later I checked out Craigslist and fate was on my side. I found a 2008 Goldwing with only 2.9k miles on the ODO about 50 miles away. Got a ride up to see it the next day and as soon as the cover came off I said in my mind, "I'll take it!". The first impression sold me, it was the same color as my 69 450 DOHC, Candy Red! The bike was in perfect condition and the late owner did some nice upgrades to it. It didn't take long before I was riding it home, the bike was perfect for any touring down the road. I still have my 999R, I ride that when I get in that mood to rip it up in the foothills. They are good friends in the garage.

Another coincidence with your dad besides the 450, I also bought a 78 Goldwing and kept that for a couple of years, but sold it because I was a motor cop at the time and the thought of riding around after work or on days off didn't really appeal to me at the time. I wish I could find the one picture I had of the 450 and post it, your dad would have appreciated it. I rode that bike a lot, went everywhere on it, and during the no helmet era, how dumb. The only time I wore one was when I worked in San Francisco and rode the bike back and forth from South San Francisco. I would take hgwy 280 and many times it was socked in by fog, in those cases, I wore the helmet for safety and staying warm. I remember a couple of stupid times when I was in a hurry to get home so I got into the fast lane of 280 in fog so thick you couldn't see 10' ahead and just throttled it all the way home. I still remember visualizing a stopped truck in front of me with no time to do anything but say goodbye. I did some dumb things on a bike back in my late teens, early 20s, but I guess you could say that about many others in my age group.

Reactions: scott
221 - 240 of 242 Posts