Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
I think it took a lot of balls for Lance to write that and, by the way it, appeared in the print magazine as well, not just on line.

Whether he's right or wrong, we as a community have to accept the fact that the general American non-riding public views us with a very skeptical eye. Many do not understand why any sane person would EVER want to ride a motorcycle, much less do it for enjoyment.

If you want to have a super loud exhaust, ride around with little or no protective gear, remove all your emissions equipment, do stunts or burnouts in public areas, split lanes at high rates of speed, etc. then you should not be surprised that many will try to take away your privilege to ride when, what and how you want. Why do you think gun rights are under fire (no pun intended)? You get a few kooks who go crazy and kill some people, the media jumps all over it and pretty soon all the people who've never owed a gun in their life think they need to all be taken away. It's not inconceivable that the same could happen to motorcycles, at least as we know them today.

I really think the AMA needs to get behind tiered licensing, mandatory training and age/HP restrictions to help PROTECT our privilege of riding the way we want to ride. Sure the same could be said for automobiles, and I'd agree those same principles should be applied there as well. We can bury our heads in the sand and pretend it can't happen or we can get on board and help steer the direction.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I read the spot the other day. I think it's right on. There are lot's of correlations to riding, but I think firearm ownership and responsibility was a the perfect comparative.

Any privlege should be guarded and protected. I can't say how many people on this board abuse the privlege or not, but we ALL know people who do.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
In Minnesota eye protection is mandatory. If you can't see you can hurt someone else.

Helmets are optional. But if you get hurt, even if someone else is at fault you are barred from claiming damages for those injuries that would have been prevented by wearing a helmet. That is, you have a choice and you are responsible for that choice.

I will never ride without a helmet, jacket, gloves and something appropriate on my feet (pants also if I am going any further than a few miles).

Yet I have trouble telling others how to dress when they ride. Others should be free to be stupid.

I don't find the gun analogy very effective unless discussing riding behavior. Stupid riding puts others at risk which is analogous to stupid gun behavior. (I have both fast machines and my own properly set-up private range.)

Wearing safety gear is your own business - but accept what bad things happen to you if you do not.

·
Premium Member
712 Posts
Actually I think the author makes some good points about personal responsibility as well as the community of sport and sport tourer motorcyclists, or at least Ducatisti, educating and looking out for each other before point where judgement is failing or on path to failure. Better that existence than one wherein the legislative body and judiciary remove one's ability to apply judgement and personal liberty in pursuit of happiness. Don't think the failure of the former could lead to the latter? Keep an eye open to what has happened/is happening in UK and same for the US... The trend is not encouraging.

·
Registered
871 Posts
I thought this was an excellent article. I for one, never ride without my fully armored Vanson jacket, boots, helmet and gloves. I learned at an early age just how devastating road-rash can be. I was in my early twenties when road cycling with bike shorts and a tank top. I had just finished a 25 mile sprint training session with a local bike club and was returning to my car. Traveling at approximately 25 mph I tried to lift the front wheel of the bicycle over a small lip of a curb and lost the front end. I slid on my unprotected left arm about ten feet before coming to a stop. I can't begin to describe the pain and how long it took to heal. That was on a bicycle traveling 25 mph!!

I have even decided this year to ride most of the time with my armored leather pants and just upgraded my Sidi boots to a newer model with more protection.

As far as the comments regarding the perception of sportbike riders by the general public, read my thread pertaining to the speed program "Superbikes". It's coverage like this that does a disservice to the serious, responsible sportbike rider.

·
Banned
389 Posts
never shot my gun irresponsibly can't say i never hit 150+mph on the freeway. can't say i did either. can say i always wear gear tho. is that like a gun lock then? my gun is fully loaded unlocked :D

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
women are like pianos

Women are like pianos; when they're not upright they're grand.
Put a helmet on that gun mister. You may not know what your getting into.
Ride safe. Sometimes you feel like:) or:D but you rarely feel like :) and :D at the same time. On a really good day youl feel like:D and :cool:. once again I would like to say ride safe my ducati friends ride safe.

·
Home of vortex tuning
1,648 Posts
ATGATT is a concealed permit, two spare mags and a fist full o' 45?

·
Registered
661 Posts
I am fine with people choosing not to wear helmets if they're fine with not using my tax dollars when they get injured & need hospital care. Admittedly I grew up in (and learned to ride in) a country with a mandatory helmet law, I do not think it is a violation of my personal freedom for the gov't (state or otherwise) to legislate that I must wear one when I ride.

Oh, I'm also a gun owner, so feel free to try and stereotype me. :)

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I thought it was a good article and a relevant comparison. I don't know if I'd punk out a fellow rider like that, full name and picture, no less, in national print. But I have to admint it took balls. Stupid is stupid, no matter who does it, even if she's hot, and on a Ducati.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I am fine with people choosing not to wear helmets if they're fine with not using my tax dollars when they get injured & need hospital care. Admittedly I grew up in (and learned to ride in) a country with a mandatory helmet law, I do not think it is a violation of my personal freedom for the gov't (state or otherwise) to legislate that I must wear one when I ride.
+1

Even in states where motorcyclists can't file claims if they were involved in a no-helmet accident, they receive emergency medical care. If their insurance won't cover this, I'd imagine most times the rider can't either. The tax payer usually winds up footing the bill for their ignorance.

A couple years back I read an article that detailed skyrocketing bill for head trauma costs statewide after Florida amended their helmet law. It was staggering, and the vast majority was paid by the taxpayers since most of the cyclist involved in accidents were either underinsured, or not insured at all.

Responsible motorcyclist wind up paying for irresponsible ones either in tax dollars or higher insurance premiums (or draconian legislation).

If legislature was passed allowing riders to ride without helmets, but barring any medical care, even lifesaving, to head or face injuries of helmetless riders, I'd support that. But of course that would put EMTs and doctors in an severe ethical bind.

For the record I'm also a gun owner who supports most gun controls. I believe the NRA and other reactionary organizations are creating a "Boy That Cried Wolf" scenario. They raise hell anytime anyone even proposes anything related to gun control, even if it's a good idea. If legislation is ever brought forth that really challenges our right to bear arms, when the NRA cries foul, no one's going to listen to them because, hell, they always do that.

·
Registered
294 Posts
One is designed to kill, and one is designed as transport. It's pretty irrelevant, really.
Actually, one could argue that neither were designed for the purposes you state. Quite clearly, both are designed for recreation. That's not my point however.

The objects have no significance, however both are privileges which must be protected by those who choose to enjoy them. I'm perplexed by the few who have said that the two have no relevant connection. Very clearly, I think there is relevance!

·
Registered
698 Posts
So the moral of the story is to be careful while riding and always wear your gear? How many paragraphs does it take to say that? I personally could have used a few more paragraphs of childhood cattle ranch memories myself :p

1 - 20 of 43 Posts