Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not a good day...

I had placed my bike in a friend's garage after riding it from Albuquerque to Seattle several weeks ago. It had been a wet ride for the last 100 miles and I was thankful for my rain gear. When I arrived I put the battery tender on and caught a flight back to ABQ later that same day.

Finally today, I was able to head back down to pick the bike up. Everything looked fine. I put the key in, everything lights up and the GT goes through its system start routine before I press the ignition... *Chuff* *Click* :(

Oh boy... my heart sinks. I try it again: *Chuff* *Click* :confused:

It sounds almost like it catches for a second then disengages, followed by the click sound. I also noticed that, right after trying to start, the bike would cycle through the system start-up routine again .

Any one have any ideas? All I can think of is that water got into the electrical system and is causing these issues.

Any help would be appreciated - and thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
check if your battery tender wires are on backwards. or you have a dead battery.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the response, guys :)

Everything was hooked up correctly and the battery had plenty of juice. So I'm not sure how the battery would be the culprit. Can it still be fully charged and causing an issue somehow?

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
It can be charged to show full voltage, but it the battery is shot it won't be able to deliver the amps needed to crank the bike over. How old is the battery? Did you try jumping the bike? You can safely jump it from a car battery, just don't start the car. Once you get it started you might want to check if it's charging correctly, you could have a regulator or stator issue.

Also check your ground connection and battery connections to make sure everything is tight and not corroded.

My bet is the battery is all that's wrong.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Sounds like the battery (I had a similar experience with only 100 miles on the bike). If the tender says it is charged, unplug it and try to start it; plug the tender back in and if it shows that it is charging, I'd replace the battery.

One bit of advice: wrap your screwdriver in electrical tape when you remove the battery terminals. Ducati put some nice access holes under the seat, but there are no rubber grommets in them and if you touch the terminal to the frame via the screwdriver you will get a shock (as I did).

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Interesting - thanks dietrech and printemps. I'll start troubleshooting with the battery and hopefully that's all it is...

Thanks again for the help!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just wanted to send out a big thanks to everyone who responded :)

I dropped in a new battery this morning and the bike started up with no problems. After a rainy ride back up to Bellingham, she's now safely in the garage - thanks again :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts