Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought a 2011 ducati 1198sp the other day and drove it home 120 miles no problem. Went to work that night, started it up and drove home the next morning. Went to go back to work and the bike wouldn't start. turn the key, hit the button and the headlight turns off and it clicks then hums but will not start. battery on the cluster shows 11.5v

bought a jumper box and tried and it tried to turn over once but no go. hooked it up to the car (engine off) and it tried a little bit more but still wouldn't start. please help

·
Registered
336 Posts
So even when jumped via a car battery it doesn't turn over, or it does turn over but doesn't fire?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
all the fuses are good. haven't found the relays but I haven't had a lot of time to poke around.

·
Registered
7,104 Posts
Go directly to the hot post on the starter from the battery. If it cranks you know it’s not the starter motor. Then see if you get 12 v to the battery side of the solenoid. 12v ? , then turn the key and see if you get 12v on the starter side of the solenoid. Since it sometimes tries to start , I doubt it’s the switch. A bad battery connection at the starter is possible. A bad starter sounds likely. Clean your grounds, some bikes have more than one.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks! I took the old battery in today and had it tested. They said it was at 30% life and is possible it wouldn't jump at that low. new battery, bike fired up after a little hesitation.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts