Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope everyone is coping up well with the virus.
I had a major engine issue, and I ended up replacing it.
I got a used working 848 engine with low miles, and after replacing the old one now, the bike won't start it cranks but won't start.
I was meticulous connecting sensors, cables, etc. The bike cranks but won's start. Checked plugs, fuel pump, replaced fuel filter, emptied fuel tank, and added high octane gas.
The bike sat for a while in my garage while I was waiting for the new engine, so I thought the injectors were the issue.
I disconnected one of the injectors from the fuel cap, fuel started to flow out, and when I turned on the ignition, the fuel pumped out faster... so there's no issue with fuel pushing into the injectors. The problem is the injector connection not spraying the fuel into the top end of the engine.
I ordered new injectors and replaced them both today, and the bike didn't start.
I pulled out the injector and turned the ignition and crank it, and the injector was not spraying fuel still...
I am assuming now that the injector is not getting power, going to check now the end connection with a multimeter, but I was wondering if there is any other fuel relay or sensor that I missed? I also checked the fuses, and they were fine. I tried tracing the injector power harness, but it looks like it is connected to the main harness so that it will require some more troubleshooting.

Thanks again in advance for any assistance.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You mensioned checking the fuses, but have you checked the fuel injector relay?
No I didn't check the fuel injector relay.
Do you happen to know where it is located?
I accidentally cut the neutral wire sensor while installing the engine so the neutral sensor is disconected could this be causing the issue?

·
Registered
3,766 Posts
You said, "I accidentally cut the neutral wire sensor while installing the engine so the neutral sensor is disconnected could this be causing the issue?"

And I said, "yes" but I wasn't thinking and spoke to soon. If you cut the neutral wire that connects to the neutral switch on the back right of the block, then I don't think that is your problem. I've not read the wiring on the 848 XX98 machines, but typical motorcycle behavior of no start in neutral, cranking isn't allowed. I'll look up a wiring diagram and get back to you if someone else doesn't first.

Spark is confirmed, spray from the injectors is no happening?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You said, "I accidentally cut the neutral wire sensor while installing the engine so the neutral sensor is disconnected could this be causing the issue?"

And I said, "yes" but I wasn't thinking and spoke to soon. If you cut the neutral wire that connects to the neutral switch on the back right of the block, then I don't think that is your problem. I've not read the wiring on the 848 XX98 machines, but typical motorcycle behavior of no start in neutral, cranking isn't allowed. I'll look up a wiring diagram and get back to you if someone else doesn't first.

Spark is confirmed, spray from the injectors is no happening?
Yeah I didn't think so of course I don't see the green neutral light on dashboard but the bike cranks on neutral.
Correct. I am getting spark but injectors not spraying fuel. I replaced both injectors today.
I'll check the grounds tomorrow.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The injector relay is located below the battery box.
I checked the injector relay today, and I can hear it clicking, then I pulled it out and cleaned it and found no corrosion.
I pulled out the battery box and cleaned up the terminal, disconnected ECU, and cleaned out the grounds then I pulled out the ignition coil and spark plug and tried cranking it, and there it was no spark. I then tried a brand new plug and didn't see any spark either.
I noticed the voltage regulator wires were burned and cracked around the sides if I understood the bike should start even with a faulty voltage regulator as long as the battery is charged?
Could a bad voltage regulator could affect the ignition and cause a no spark condition and no power to the injectors?

Here's a video link of the actual condition

·
Registered
472 Posts
Your friendly, unqualified non-mechanic here. This may be irrelevant but, why not just repair the neutral switch wire and then try again?. To kind of 'eliminate it from your enquiries' .

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Your friendly, unqualified non-mechanic here. This may be irrelevant but, why not just repair the neutral switch wire and then try again?. To kind of 'eliminate it from your enquiries' .
I lost the end rubber piece with the sensor otherwise it's an easy repair.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts