Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
kinda disappointed fellas ..... I spent 2k getting my bikes 12k service done and brought home a bike that likes to stall after 15-20 seconds of idling. Before I brought it in for service the bike ran like a jem with absolutely no problems running or idling. I havent had a chance to contact the place that serviced it yet so I started peeking around and looked in the crack between the base of the tank and the little triangular side plate on the right side of the bike and saw the end of this black hose peeking up, obviously looks like it should be hooked up to something. The bike runs ok when the throttle is open but wont idle any longer than 15-20 seconds before cutting off. Anyone have a clue what this hose is supposed to be connected to ? theres no fuel leaking out that I can see. thx all

·
Registered
475 Posts
Not sure what it is but it sounds like something that should be easy to find where it connects. Vacuum?

·
Senior Italophile
865 Posts
One of your fuel hoses has slipped off. Super simple to fix. Remove your seat and there is a bolt that attaches your tank to the frame at the rear of the tank just under where the seat meets the tank. the tank is held on by that bolt and a pin that inserts into a gromet at the front of the airbox, just under the ignition/front of the tank.
Remove that bolt and lift/pivot the tank enough to get under there and re attach the hose. You will see where the other hoses are attached to the fuel pump. there will be one spot open that the hose will fit. usually the hoses will sit in the general area where they belong.
Its not rocket science.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I popped up the tank and I saw the hose but didnt see any places where it shouldve been attached to. As a matter of fact, I traced the hose down the side of the bike and there's nothing attached to the other end either, mustve been some kind of drain hose of some sort (keep in mind i'm definitely not a mechanic). I snapped some pics under the tank and another pic shows the black hose traveling down the side of the bike over and around the pressure plate. Any thoughts on what the heck this supposed to have been? I do know that the charcoal cannister was removed, could this have been a hose that was left over and the mechanic forgot to take it out? perplexed here ....

Attachments

·
Registered
475 Posts
Charcoal canister has been removed. This is a write up I found for removing the canister. Use the section about removing the hoses OR you can just plug the ends of the hoses.

Remove both of the two hoses [4 & 6] and clamps [5& 7] from the top of the canister.

Unbolt the canister bracket [21] from the bike removing both the canister and the bracket.

Replace the two bolts that held the canister in place to the bike with the two new 6mm bolts (1.00X16); use blue loctite when replacing these bolts.

Remove one hose [9 & 10] from each throttle body, I just grabbed them and pulled them off.

Now that the two hoses are free from the throttle bodies and one from the canister, carefully trace and remove the 3 [6, 9 & 10] sections of hose that join together in the middle by a t-adapter [8]. Be careful not to scratch your frame with the metal clamps [7] connecting the hoses!

Take a socket and remove the two outlets [12] from the throttle bodies.

!!!Be careful not to drop the brass washers [13] that you will be removing with the outlets [12], they are not magnetic and we will be reusing them so don’t lose them!!!

Now… Take the other two 6mm bolts (1.00X12) and those two brass washers [13] we just removed. You are going to use those brass washers with these new bolts to plug the holes in the throttle bodies where we removed those outlets. Take a small amount of loctite and plug the holes with the new bolts. You will see that one of these is much easier to access than the other. The throttle body that is more towards the rear of the bike (higher one pictured) prevents easy access because it is behind a part of the frame… No matter, just take your time and use a regular allen wrench to access it, not a t-handle.

!!!Two things to watch out for!!!

1. Do not drop the brass washers.
2. Do not cross thread the bolts into the throttle bodies.

Now there are two hoses [4 & 15] that you will see that are connected to the gas tank. One goes all the way down underneath the bike [15] and the other (shorter, fatter) [4] went to the canister we removed. Time to remove the shorter, fatter hose [4] and clamp [3] from the gas tank.

This is where we are going to take the y-adapter and convert two hoses into one.

Remove the other hose [15] from the gas tank.

This hose is now going to be connected to the bottom of the y-adapter so go ahead and do so and then use one of the clamps [11] to secure it.

Now we are going to take the other hose we removed from the tank [4] and cut off two pieces to connect the top part of our y-adapter back to the outlets on the gas tank. Go ahead and cut two small pieces of hose, clamp them onto the y-adapter using one of the new clamps we bought reusing one of the other [3] we removed from the bike. I configured things this way due to spacing issues but the fact of the matter is the hoses fit so tight that I don’t even think you would need to use clamps if you didn’t want to.

!!!Before you go connecting and tightening everything back up go ahead and check the two outlets on the gas tank, mine were loose!!!

Once you get everything all tighten up pull the excess hose [15] now connected to the bottom of the y-adapter out the bottom of the bike. You’ll see it is too long now so go ahead and shorten it up.

Slap the fairings back on and go ride.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
That hose is for the drain hole under the fuel cap. There is a nipple recessed next to the quick disconnect fuel lines that that hose fits on. It would have nothing to do with your idle issue.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I connected that hose to the recessed nip and the bike seems to idle very well. I guess the real test will be sitting at a stop light ... waiting for the green :) .... I hope this resolves the issue, thx guys!

·
Registered
475 Posts
Good call Don. I saw a similar post the other day that turned out to be stripped of the charcoal canister and the hose looked the same and routed almost the same way.

Hope it goes well in traffic Bill.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts