Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Installed an STM slipper per instructions attached. Got bike back together but moment I put it in gear, it jerks forward and stalls. Cannot start in gear either, same symptom - jerks forward and stalls. I am able to easily find neutral though.

The stm instructions specifically asked to leave out the two metal rings - one flat and one concave at the end (towards engine) of the clutch pack. Not sure if that is an issue? I might try putting those two springs back - what is the correct orientation of the concave spring while facing the clutch?

Any other ideas/suggestions on what could be the issue? Thanks in advance,

Attachments

·
Registered
794 Posts
I have a different bike, but when I installed an STM Evoluzione slipper it did the same thing due to the dealer supplying the wrong clutch pack (too thick); the too tall/thick part is what caused the clutch to not fully disengage when the clutch lever was pulled in and burned the plates up but fast.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
I too have the STM Evoluzione slipper on my 999. It came with two spacers , which you use one of, that go on before the clutch . I cant see any in your exploded plan. Did you get any. If I remember correctly this spacer replaced the one already there. Without it the clutch pack was too tight.
Yours being the wet clutch could be completely different though.

Attachments

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I too have the STM Evoluzione slipper on my 999. It came with two spacers , which you use one of, that go on before the clutch . I cant see any in your exploded plan. Did you get any. If I remember correctly this spacer replaced the one already there. Without it the clutch pack was too tight.
Yours being the wet clutch could be completely different though.
Thanks for the suggestion. This version of the STM wet slipper reuses the stock clutch plates. I did have those spacers in the stock setup, but the instructions make no mention of reusing them whatsoever. Is it worth a try to reuse the stock spacer?

Also, if the clutch pack is too thick per the suggestion above, can I drop one or two plates and still be OK? Which plates should I drop from which side of the pack? Engine side or outside? Steel or friction?

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion. This version of the STM wet slipper reuses the stock clutch plates. I did have those spacers in the stock setup, but the instructions make no mention of reusing them whatsoever. Is it worth a try to reuse the stock spacer?

Also, if the clutch pack is too thick per the suggestion above, can I drop one or two plates and still be OK? Which plates should I drop from which side of the pack? Engine side or outside? Steel or friction?
I think that , seeing that you are using the stock plates , You need to get the spacers right . STM dont give the best of fitting instructions but thats where , I think , your problem is.

·
Registered
654 Posts
The clutch pack you fitted did it have any steel drive plates
doubled up together if so i would remove one of them first ?

brian.

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
If the instruction's say "omit", then omit....Stack height too tall. Reduce by one...always take out a drive plate (metal) when tuning stack height. Don't get stuck on STM suggested stack height measurement.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think that , seeing that you are using the stock plates , You need to get the spacers right . STM dont give the best of fitting instructions but thats where , I think , your problem is.
You were spot on! I redid it this morning with the stock spacer/washer installed BEFORE the STM hub went in. Bike now shifts and works (I think). I only went around the block up to 3rd gear so remains to be seen how it does, but at least it seems to be working. STM instructions suck, they never mentioned anything about using or not using the stock spacer.

On another note, I popped off 3 of the 18 primary spring keeper teeth while torquing down the hub nut to 137 ft-lbs. I popped two yesterday and one more today.

• From the attached picture - anyone know if it's safe to run this as-is till I source a replacement spring keeper from STM?
  • Any slipper clutch specific sounds/rattles/noises I should be looking for? This is my first slipper and after this installation proving difficult, I am a little weary of something bad happening.

Thanks again,

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
I wouldnt worry about the bits that have broken off . The bits that count are still there and as its oil filled you cant see it anyway.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I wouldnt worry about the bits that have broken off . The bits that count are still there and as its oil filled you cant see it anyway.
Haha thanks. If any more bits break off (hope not) or I accidentally got debris in there, the oil filter should catch all that right? I've got a k&n that I will now replace sooner than planned but curious...

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
C'mon, ride that thing and tell us how it feels....
LOL. I went on a 10 mile errand run today and from the super limited post-slipper experience, I LOVE it! I banged out a few drastic down shifts from 50-55 mph into 2nd and no more annoying head bobbing. As far as other impressions, I am getting some very mild feedback on the clutch lever when it's fully pulled in, and cannot seem to hear any out of the ordinary noises past the loudness of my full system.

I am doing a track day later this month so will have a more educated review to share after that.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts