Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 1998 ST2 about 6 months ago and have been using it for commuting to and from work. The bike has been great, but over the past couple of weeks it has been cutting out while running, it is as if the coils are not getting spark or something. It will cut off momentarily but work again before I even notice.
That is until yesterday. When leaving work I had trouble starting it. It would turn over, but not ignite.
Finally it did and I was riding home, about 10 miles into the ride the bike cut out, no power and I had to pull over to the side of the road. About 10 minutes of waiting and hoping and turning the engine over without success it finally started again and ran fine. The bike has no other issues that I am aware of and it seems like a loose connection of some sort.
I am hoping it isn't a solid state/ecu failure, but i am really not all that good at electrical diagnostics
So I am coming to you gurus for some help
Anyone?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
My first thought would be a fuel filter. How old and how many miles on it? Maybe water in the fuel?

The next would be a simple check of electrical connections. Battery terminals, multi-pin, spade connections, frame/engine to battery ground wire .... check the most obvious stuff first.

Then I'd find a friend with a multi meter and check voltages across the battery with the engine off, idling and at 3,000 rpms. The '98 ST2 has an oddball stator with documented issues.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Agree with Jack and add fuel pump, pump relay, and connector; all were replaced before similar issues were eliminated completely on a Multi.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Agree with Jack and add fuel pump, pump relay, and connector; all were replaced before similar issues were eliminated completely on a Multi.
My 99 ST4 was doing the same thing would be riding along and just like I hit the kill switch. Would restart after 5 or 10 minutes. I replaced the relays under the seat and haven’t had any more problems all for under 20 bucks

Reactions: scott

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
I'd put my money on the relay too. I had a Hyundai do that. The ecu relay was one of the first thing I checked. It tested fine, I drove it and it did it again. Long story short after a month of tearing the car apart the part finally failed totally. It was a diode in the relay that was going out. A part the size of an ant almost sent the suv to the bone yard.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts