Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First oil change on 92 900SS. I started the bike and let it idle for 2-3 minutes-heads felt warm. Drained oil (which felt just slightly warm) and proceeded. Pre-filled filter about half way. Anyway, no surprises accept that the container shows that i only put in 2L. Oil level reads at the bottom 1/3rd of the sight glass which is apparently the corrected MAX mark. I have not started the bike. Suggestions? Thanks, George.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
How long did you let the oil drain?

By starting it up and running it for a few minutes pretty much lets all the oil in the sump get re-distrubuted in the engine. If it didn't get to operating temp it may take 20-30 minutes or so to work it's way back to the sump.

When filling the sump, oil will always fill the site glass. You may want to lean the bike to the left side then stand it back up straight to let the site glass be your indicator.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
oil

I did take out the screen and the plug. I let it drain for a good 15-20 minutes. It had decreased to a very slow drip when i put the the plug, filter and screen back in. Could this possibly happen if i did not let it get warm enough before draining. I have a bad feeling i just mixed $25-30 worth of new oil with a bunch of old residual oil.

·
Registered
157 Posts
a little bit of old oil wont hurt it, just watch the color and maybe change it a little sooner than normal.

next time just drain it off the bottom, i have never seen the sense in running old oil back through the engine one last time just to warm it up before draining, its not like molasses or anything when cold. and what if there is foreign matter in there, you want to give it one last chance to do damage?

oh well

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
oil

i agree with that logic. Next time i will simply pull the plug and wait a while. Thanks.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
oil

That i wish i knew but the container i drained to wasn't empty to start with so i can't determine that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts