Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Fantastic work.

Jake99x said:
After ore than two years of model making my bike models are finally finished
have uploaded pics under my gallery.

i think this link might work
http://www.ducati.ms/gallery/browseimages.php?c=3&userid=7064
Those look like models Hollywood would use for certain scenes [I know it's all animation now, but in the day, these would have been used].

Excellent job. What are you going to do with them?

Oh, what is the scale, meaning "size in inches?"

·
Registered
272 Posts
Ok, I'm probably going to get flamed for this and understand I mean no disrespect to the artist/model builder but while the backgrounds look like models to be sure, the bikes and riders etc. look like photos inserted into the model backgrounds.

·
Registered
135 Posts
No, they are very well done models. Excellent work, the dioramas and lighting is especially good. I myself make scale mechanical minatures as part of my
business and I have to say, if you are an 'amateur' hobbyist you have really pulled something off, this is pro-level work.

Whats the scale?

·
Registered
5,191 Posts
Wow those are excellent, as a kid I used to make some models but they were never very good as I lacked the patience & skill to finish them.

Just before I got my Ducati I was in a toy shop with wife & kids and saw a model 916 and I said to my wife "I'd like one of those for Christmas" (meaning the real thing) so she bought me one - a model 916, anyway I built it in a couple of hours and did some painting and it looked like shit.
I think the kids have probably smashed it by now, a few months later I bought the real thing.......... :)

·
Registered
184 Posts
KRG said:
Ok, I'm probably going to get flamed for this and understand I mean no disrespect to the artist/model builder but while the backgrounds look like models to be sure, the bikes and riders etc. look like photos inserted into the model backgrounds.
+1 No disrespect but I call bullshit, look at the very first picture you acn clearly see the 1:1 scale camping chair on the far right of the picture. The back groungs look sweet but all in all I think someone just got bored and felt like doing some photo shop.

Once again no disrespect cause even if it isnt models doing photo shop is some hard stuff to do and I do think the background is model

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Hy Jake. where are you from?? the last pic I would SWEAR is on the Great Ocean Road in Victoria. they look great, can I ask how they are supported on the angles? I must admit they do LOOK like photoshop.. lot's of time spent making the backgrounds look 'built'. I do believe there are people around who can do models this good. How about proving to these naysayers by taking a photo of the whole scene, not just the close up, how the table etc and then supply some crow pie for them.

Mal

·
Registered
401 Posts
Have done some myself but never achieved your results.
So as a builder there's some questions I need to ask.
Do you use a Sieg x3 or Central Machinery 33684 mini lathe for turning out your metal works (such as forks) ?
I currently have a Jet 21677 but it's not capable of doing the craftsmanship your models show.
On the pic with the lights on did you use the 32mm, N0.49 or the mdp modeling lights ? Were they self stick ones or the hand placement type?
Also did you need to hollow out a battery compartment or did you run a wire down through the model and diorama to a transformer ?
To get the lean angles did you glue (if so what type) or placement wire/bolt/solder/rivet in place?
Just curious as to how you achieved such fine work.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
racedfila749 said:
+1 No disrespect but I call bullshit, look at the very first picture you acn clearly see the 1:1 scale camping chair on the far right of the picture. The back groungs look sweet but all in all I think someone just got bored and felt like doing some photo shop.

Once again no disrespect cause even if it isnt models doing photo shop is some hard stuff to do and I do think the background is model
+2 I was going to say something earlier but decided not to. This is a photoshop job for sure. Look at the headlights, the riders faces and the way the pictures are blurred. The picture with the ocean in the background never ends.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I love you guys calling BS like it isn't possible....haven't you ever seen some of super intricate and expansively detailed Lionel train set-ups with Diaramas that are so realistic...they make the small village in Beetle Juice look like crap?!?!?!....why can't someone do the same with motorcycles?....sure it takes time...and while we choose to spend it out on the roads twisting the throttle....some choose to delve into other realms where detail orientation becomes a meticulous artform to an almost anal retentive degree.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Perhaps it's not all BS ... I would guess that it's a combination of model work, mixed in with a little photoshop to 'enhance' the picture. This may have been the original intent ... Just a guess of course! :D

Either way, there is very obvious evidence on the pictures that (at least) much of it is scaled model work that is very well done!

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Absolutely. There is some obvious modelwork and some obvious photoshopwork. I guess it really is a matter of intent. If the intent to be deceptive, then yes it is BS. But if the intent was simply to enhance the modelwork by adding pictures that's cool, just be upfront. Either way, its either good modelwork or pretty good photoshop. Not dogging on the work, just a bit skeptical.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.