Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I've got a lift and it's a great thing to have. I saw the wheel setup on the bottom of the lift and I thought it was a great idea. I could see it ending in tears going up on the lift if it wasn't secured. My lift (Handy) has a dolly that goes on the "fixed" end so you can move it around. The screws in the picture don't have any feet on them. Maybe they didn't put them on but it wouldn't be too secure on the ends of the screws only. The platform looks high in the down position compared to some lifts I've seen.

Some of the Chinese I have seen have been pretty sketchy when raised but at least its a scissor style. Some of the pantogragh style lifts are really bad.
I'm assuming it's Chinese based on the price which is pretty cheap in Aus.

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
I'm looking to buy a lift before I do another main service.
My knees are fucked..
I'll be interested to see what you come up with Mal.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Found this Motorcycle lift. - ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts. Similar lift sounds like the clamps aren't too flash but I'm sure it's serviceable. Looks similar but it's an air lift not hydraulic.

If you have front and rear stands and a roll around stool you can get most stuff done on a Duc as so much is accessed from the top and sides. But the lift is a big plus. It takes up some garage real estate.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dave, in one of the many searches I do I found a bloke who made trolley that he could roll the lift onto it's side and roll over to the wall of his shed when not in use.

Bugger I didn't search or see that thread.. thanks.. I know half the guys that posted but didn't realise they had lifts.. good enought for me.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I tried flipping mine up but the f$^kers are pretty heavy and I'm no small lad. I used to keep a bike on the lift to save space. My garage was always pretty tight with 3-4 bikes, tools and bench plus 5-8 bicycles hanging on the wall.

I bought a few different setups including a folding table that you had to get the bike up on with a ramp. Sort of like the tables you see in the MotoGP pits. Good on space but much care required getting it up there. Craigslist in the states is a dangerous thing. So much gear so cheap. I got a mechanical wind up lift for $100 which was useful but less so for Duc's http://oneup.com.au/content/big-blue-bike-lift

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yeah I have one pretty much the same - got it 2nd hand off gumtree. Guy just didn't have enough room in his garage and that is a major consideration. Works pretty well, requires a bit of cranking to lift but if you are a DIY then time's hardly a problem. I have a fixed table as well and the lift is good to get a long term rebuild onto the fixed table - better than using a ramp. You just have to remove the wheel clamp then roll the bike forward onto the table when lift is at right height.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I have the ebay one, with the air connection (not used). Works well, takes up some space, but that don't bother me. Used it a few times, been a worthwhile purchase in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
up, in and used.

Got it unpacked a few weeks ago..

I rolled some duct tape around the wheels to protect the floor paint for the moment. I visited 'Richmond Castors' to looks for some poly wheels but there wasn't any of suitable load ratings. I know some guys that do the polyurathane wheels for forklifts so I'll do the current job then send them away..

Spotted a front wheel claim on 'Torpedo7' which I got The Boss to pick up for my birthday. $49.00 on special. Didn't even bother trying the screw clamp.

Have had a small oil leak from the pump. I think it was when I left in held up on hydraulics the first night. It now rests on the load bar.

Got a odd question though, In all the sales speil they talk about 'including oil drain plate'

I am now thinking this refers to accessing the hyd cylinder and nothing to do with the bike.

·
Premium Member
6,911 Posts
Damn, you seriously had me bluffed, no way did I think you were two different people :grin2:

Are you coming down to TBC?

Craig

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No not attending.

PS...

I'm not the bi-polar one.

HA.

Craig you'll be interested to know that you can get the motor out and slide it back on the table there far enough to work on it without needing to take it over to another bench.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts