Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What a way to spend a saturday night. Stopped at the movie rental store near my house, parked where I always do, in a visible area underneath a parking lot street light. Went inside for a sec and came out to find her lying down :mad: . Picked her up (with some help). Windshield shattered, headlight bucket bent so far that it prohibited any turning of the handle bars, clutch lever snapped off, left fairing scratched, and worst of all the left exhaust is bent in. I can't tell if the bracket or the frame where it attaches is bent. I was extremely lucky to have a witness who was kind enough to get the license plate number of a new silver range rover that hit it and left the scene, and to give me his info as a witness as I did not actually see the incident. Called insurance to report it. Geico did a good job. Free flatbed tow to my house. Filed a police report. Now it's just down to waiting for it all to be straightened out. It's just been a stressful inconvenience. And it hurts to see the bike in this shape. I hope it all works out for the best. I'm not paying a deductible for this lady's mistake. I'll post pics soon hopefully. Be more careful where you park your bikes guys

·
Registered
825 Posts
That SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!

I hope you can bang the scumbag who drove off for every possible penny. One good thing-if they were driving a Range Rover they most likely have insurance. GOOD LUCK.
Gregg

·
Registered
183 Posts
You good Sir are much calmer than I would be .Sorry to hear about your misfortune.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hahaha

Well I was definitely extremely pissed off at first but now I'm just trying to deal with it as best as I can. Now I'm just depressed without my bike :( I'm sure the lady has insurance, she was probably drunk at the time and didn't want to be charged with a DUI. She'll get hers though.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Damn that seriously sucks. I'm always paranoid that'll happen to my bike. I try to park next to a walkway or something so I only have to worry about people from behind.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Sorry to hear about your bike. I had the same problem, at least someone saw it. I went to see my friends new Triplets at the hospital, parked it in a secure car park. Came out and Bam! She's on her side. Fairings, exhaust and brake lever, totalled! I hope you get it resolved soon...

·
Registered
255 Posts
That = suck

Happened to me in summer '08 (only I never found out who did it), damage was $3500 but yours sounds worse... mine was just exhaust, footpeg, fairing, levers...

Hope that Range Rover-er gets hers.

d.

·
Registered
26 Posts
She'll get hers though.
Good... I am not vindictive person but I would stick it to her as much as allowed by law.....and maybe even a little more after that..........I've never had a bike hit while parked but my truck was. Was not fortunate enough to have a witness....so I end up filing under my own insurance....dishonest people are useless.

·
Registered
346 Posts
If the shop doing the estimate is properly thorough they'll note everything that's even the least bit scratched or nicked and the lady's insurance will have to cover it all. If handled properly it should come out well in your favor. Don't give them any leniency by omitting items that may have had scratches or nicks before the tipover. It should always be assumed that the bike was in as-new condition prior to the accident, and that's the way you deserve it when it's returned to you after the repairs. I've handled many such accident claims and repairs. Feel free to PM me if you need any help or advice on how to wade through the process. And good luck!

·
Registered
400 Posts
I am constantly amazed at the number of video cameras that seem to record our every move these days. It is quite likely that a surveillance camera in the parking lot captured the misdeed as well. Might be worth looking into.

·
Banned
2,888 Posts
Here's to hoping things work out for you, hopefully your bike will be good as new when it's all said and done. One of my bikes got backed over while I was inside the gas station in Reno, crushed my front end and I had to McGyver it together to ride it home 120 miles at night.
The security guard at Circus-Circus had seen the whole thing and got the guys plate #, my insurance company went after him and got me 3 times what the bike was worth at the time. My local dealer at the time helped me by not totaling the bike, so I was able to rebuild it and keep a clear title (all cosmetic, no frame or suspension issues).

Things will work out for you if you have enough patience to ride out the process.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Sorry to hear about this, but glad you're keeping a proper perspective.

Mostly I'm glad someone witnessed it and gave you the information.

I pretty much never park my bike out of my sight and rarely in a public parking lot setting, but then I tend to ride it only for pleasure. That's kind of why I'm thinking of picking up a jap bike beater (already been dropped) just so I have something I don't have to be worried about.

My car, on the other hand, has been tagged a couple of times while parked, both times pretty significantly. I tend to park it way out in parking lots, and all I can figure is that people don't think there is another car out there and then WHAMMO. I've kind of given up, I'd rather deal with door dings than major dents.

Bottom line I suppose is that people no longer have any respect for the property of others, and your experience is just another example of that. Hope it all works out for you. Don't forget the pricey GPS system you had installed on the bike that broke off when it fell and you forgot to pick up, eh? ;)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks for all the support and advice guys :) I really am hoping that in the end it ends up being a somewhat beneficial accident. I am looking to punish this lady as much as possible legally. No one should ever try to leave the scene of an accident, especially if it was caused solely by them, and try to get away with it. It's dishonest and only complicates things further.

Have another question for you L.A. residents.

What shop would you recommend me taking the bike to, for them to survey the damage, report to the insurance, and repair it? My dad wants to take it to beverly hills ducati as that's where we bought it. I am completely unfamiliar with their service department but I assume it would be small?

Thanks once again

·
Registered
92 Posts
accidents

Please allow me to jump in this thread to share.

A few weeks ago I was on my way to have lunch at my favorite deli. I was the first to come to a four way stop and as I was turning left in front of a young lady using her cell not paying attention she started to go. I had just began my left turn and being that I abruptly stopped I did not get my foot down quick enough and I laid the bike down on it's left side. Very minor damage.

After contacting her insurance company, state farm, they said it was not their insureds fault. I should have been in control, was their response.:confused:

·
Premium Member
2,436 Posts
Damn that seriously sucks. I'm always paranoid that'll happen to my bike. I try to park next to a walkway or something so I only have to worry about people from behind.
I used to park next to a jersey barrier thinking it was safe until a woman in a Mercedes smashed into the other side of barrier and moved it into the bike! 6 weeks before the insurance would OK the fix (not until I forced them to give me a comparable rental @$100 a day, by holding me up it cost them another $1700.. The Bitches!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts