Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2007 800ss

I did my first oil change last night (second for the bike). The user manual states that the bike takes 3.3QT. I put 3 QT and the engine was full.

Here is how I did it: I turned the bike on, and let it run for about 6 minutes (the exhaust was too hot to touch). I took the drain pug off, and I let it drain for about 20 minutes, while I was cleaning the inside of the fairings and inspecting the air filter and the gas hoses. I took the oil filter off, cleaned around it, put back the drain plug, pre-filled and installed the new filter, and filled it up with oil.

I put 3 QT, turned it on for few minutes, shut it off, and checked the oil window. The oil level was up to the max line. After like 10 minutes, the oil level was all the way up in the window.

Did I do anything wrong? Why 3 QT only?

Another question: I had to take my turn signal off to be able to take off the fairings. Is there any other way of doing this?

On the right hand side of the bike there is a black plastic can with a hose going to the engine. What is this can for?

Thanks

·
Banned
2,916 Posts
that's the catch can for the engine case vent,
the round thing on the engine, to which it is
attached, contains a read valve.

there are two connectors in the indicator cable,
which you might seperate, you don't have to
take the indicator of to dismount the fairing.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
I wouldn't be too concerned about how much oil you put into the engine, as long as you are sure the sight glass reads full. I never got the full amount of oil back into a motorcycle that the manual stated was capacity. And yes, you have to disconnect the wires to the turn signal before you can remove the side panel.

DON'T OVERFILL!!!

·
I have a button.. BITCHES!
8,971 Posts
My 800 has always just taken right at 3 qts. Not 3.3 like the manual says. Just get the level between the lines and you'll be ok.

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
There are 2 black plastic "smog devices":

1. The catch can for the engine case vent (this should be under the seat)
2. Charcoal tank vent. (should be on the right side)

I think that the charcoal tank vent is the one you are asking about. It collects gas vapors and feeds them back to the intake for burning.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts