Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before I get a Ducati, I'm going to get a Ninja 650r to get comfortable on. What are the minimums I should get? Do I need comprehensive and collision? Any advice would be helpful.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I'll chime in with my .02

I say ALWAYS get full coverage and get the most coverage you can afford, because you just never know!

It really should be a no-brainer....imagine if your bike got stolen and you only had liability...that I'm sure, would not be a good day for any rider.

Check out Markel's BikeLine insurance...I'm through them and they were the most affordable on full coverage for me

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Agree with the above, plus get uninsured motorist. Geico was the best for me for the bike, not so good for the cars.

·
Registered
475 Posts
+1 for Geico. That's who I'm with and mine is only $100.00 a year. Full coverage.

·
Mr Leakered
8,823 Posts
I did the max, $500k single coverage limit of liability and underinsured motorist with Progressive. Nothing on the bike. They were the best at the time. There was a small drop after the first year, then a huge drop each year after. I'm paying less than half what I was originally quoted after three full years.

I just got the renewal notice yesterday. They have finally added small credits if you have a M/C endorsment (WTF?) and if you took a safety class.

Do note that their collison coverage does not apply if you hit another M/C (another WTF?) and they changed their insurance exclusion that any track or closed course riding is un-insured even if it is not a 'race.'

Have a good one.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I just got the renewal notice yesterday. They have finally added small credits if you have a M/C endorsment (WTF?) and if you took a safety class.

Do note that their collison coverage does not apply if you hit another M/C (another WTF?) and they changed their insurance exclusion that any track or closed course riding is un-insured even if it is not a 'race.
What the hell is a M/C endorsement? And I kind of understand why they say it's uninsured at the track, but they should make some kind of provision if it's not being raced.

·
Mr Leakered
8,823 Posts
Washington state adds an endorsement to a standard drivers licence for motorcycle riders. Similar to a commercial drivers license endosement, just a code added to a new picture license when you pass. I kind of laughed when I saw it stated in the changes summary. I guess Progressive would let me solely own and insure a motorcycle and for only $14 more a year, I don't actually need a license to ride it. ;) Strange.

The old provision was that you could take safety courses and other non-sactioned activities on a track and be insured. I wonder what they classify the coned of portion of a parking lot that the MSF ERC classes use? Sounds like a closed course. Gawd.

Have a good one.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Washington state adds an endorsement to a standard drivers licence for motorcycle riders. Similar to a commercial drivers license endosement, just a code added to a new picture license when you pass.
Same in Jersey

And go for all the coverage you can get.

·
Chilehead
6,982 Posts
I only have full on my 999R.

I have basic, + fire and theft on my SS and ST2.

I have basic on the others.

Any time a bike passes 10 years old, I drop the fire and theft.

I also only insure the 999R 6 months/year, and will start doing the same for the SS/ST2 (they have a common plate and insurance, as do my 2 Guzzis which only have basic).

Tom

·
Registered
130 Posts
suggestion

Every so often a thread like this shows up but it is a bit difficult to get a good comparison of what others are paying for insurance. Most of the time you'll get answers that give the six month premium but nothing else. What would really help is what that premium covers in terms of coverage/limits, number of years riding experience, and possibly ticket history (if any).

·
Mr Leakered
8,823 Posts
Every so often a thread like this shows up but it is a bit difficult to get a good comparison of what others are paying for insurance. Most of the time you'll get answers that give the six month premium but nothing else. What would really help is what that premium covers in terms of coverage/limits, number of years riding experience, and possibly ticket history (if any).
The problem is the premium and policy changes with geographical location and time also. I only listed a few of the automatic policy changes that happen this past year.

Supposedly, actuarial databases get fairly involved. Just think of all the info you provide to apply for coverage plus a peak at your credit.

Have a good one.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Defiantly get full coverage if you bike is worth anything. You just never know. I drove mine to the gym, an hour later I came out to find out someone had ran over it in the parking lot and took off. State Farm cut me a check within a week.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts