Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I have done just over 5k miles on my st3. The last couple of times I have benn out for short rides, the bike feels like it has a bent rim when going around some corners. This doesn't happen all of the time, but when it does the bike feels vague and unsafe.

I have checked the front and rear bearings and the steering head and all seems fine.

The tyres are bridgestone bt020 and the rear has just hit the wear markers. It also has the dreaded flat spot in the centre.

I know the tyres are due for replacement but I just want to check that this could be the problem.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Cheers

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
New tires have cured more handling issues than I can imagine on my ST...both front (shudder during decel due to cupping) and rear (hunting/bouncing as if no rebound damping). It's usually the tires if you have no other changes you notice (leaky shock/forks). Sounds like they're due anyway. Replace 'em then see. :)

·
Still needs a life.
12,618 Posts
I had a weight come off the front rim, which makes even a new tire feel unstable.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
I'm sure you have, but checked the pressures, underinflation is a huge source of ill handling.
Chris

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry, forgot to mention I checked the pressures and to see if any weights had come off. All seems ok.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
On or around the end of their life a lot of tyres do this. It is the "squared off" edges playing on the road

·
Registered
155 Posts
and...

"It is the "squared off" edges playing on the road"

If there are grooves in the pavement (slight to deep), then the behavior is magnified.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts