Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I had the 12k service done recently, but the bike feels a bit different, not sure how to describe it. The clutch comes in much later that before. I was used to releasing the clutch just about halfway, and the engine would pick-up. Now it's almost all the way at the end. How this has changed? Why would they change it? It's not a big deal, you get used to it pretty quickly, but still, I'm wondering. I kinda liked it how it was before.

Also, now the bike has new fresh oil, and I just checked the oil level, but it's not exactly in between those two indicators, but that glass-check-oil-thingy is completely full. Does this seem right? I thought you had to be careful when adding oil if needed not to put too much in it. I'm sure the dealer knows what to do right, so is it not bad for the engine?

Also I complained about a little oil leakage and they said they checked it, but it's too early to make sure. The belly pan is still clean, no oil on it yet. The engine is still messy and dirty and covered in oil, kind of disappointed they didn't clean that.

I've had a few times now when driving in the heat (30+ degrees) since that 12k service, especially in city traffic when the engine gets really hot, close to 105/106 degrees, and suddenly some blueish smoke came down from the engine, and it smelled pretty bad :eek: This happened like 3 times now, what the hell could this be? I was really worried thinking omg my bike is on fire, even people on the street were looking like dude wtf. But it was only shortly, no flames luckily :rolleyes: Any ideas what this could be? Maybe some fluids or still some oil leakage dripping on a burning hot exhaust or something?

I know, go back to your dealer if you're worried. But I'm a Dutchman lost in French speaking Switzerland, and my French is just a bad as the dealers English skills :p so communication sometimes is a bit difficult. I learn more from this site than the dealer.

Anyway, thanks for your input.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Hi, the oil is checked when the bike is in upright position, not on sidestand. If the oilwindow is full, something isn't right. Lean the bike until you see oillevel. To much oil is equally bad to the engine as to little. If it's to much oil, this can be the reason to the blue smoke.
Maybe the clutch needs an airbleed?
There is no service point at any service that include cleaning.... that you have to do yourself... :)

So I had the 12k service done recently, but the bike feels a bit different, not sure how to describe it. The clutch comes in much later that before. I was used to releasing the clutch just about halfway, and the engine would pick-up. Now it's almost all the way at the end. How this has changed? Why would they change it? It's not a big deal, you get used to it pretty quickly, but still, I'm wondering. I kinda liked it how it was before.

Also, now the bike has new fresh oil, and I just checked the oil level, but it's not exactly in between those two indicators, but that glass-check-oil-thingy is completely full. Does this seem right? I thought you had to be careful when adding oil if needed not to put too much in it. I'm sure the dealer knows what to do right, so is it not bad for the engine?

Also I complained about a little oil leakage and they said they checked it, but it's too early to make sure. The belly pan is still clean, no oil on it yet. The engine is still messy and dirty and covered in oil, kind of disappointed they didn't clean that.

I've had a few times now when driving in the heat (30+ degrees) since that 12k service, especially in city traffic when the engine gets really hot, close to 105/106 degrees, and suddenly some blueish smoke came down from the engine, and it smelled pretty bad :eek: This happened like 3 times now, what the hell could this be? I was really worried thinking omg my bike is on fire, even people on the street were looking like dude wtf. But it was only shortly, no flames luckily :rolleyes: Any ideas what this could be? Maybe some fluids or still some oil leakage dripping on a burning hot exhaust or something?

I know, go back to your dealer if you're worried. But I'm a Dutchman lost in French speaking Switzerland, and my French is just a bad as the dealers English skills :p so communication sometimes is a bit difficult. I learn more from this site than the dealer.

·
Premium Member
1,517 Posts

1st, clutch, possibly they changed the fluid and it just not bled all the way yet, or had a touch of air prior. Bleed the clutch yourself so you know it’s right.

2nd, It’s not all that uncommon for automotive or motorcycle shops to slightly overfill on oil. For example: Many mechanics will simply add 4 qts because that’s what it calls for and move on with the service, however those of us who are truly anal will carefully add wait and check until we get the level exact. As long as it’s not way overfull it will not hurt it at all.

3rd, the smoke smell sounds like a bit of oil burning off the headers, if it has done it 3 separate times, they either spilt a fair amount of oil or sounds more like a small oil leak to me. Another much less likely possibility, could be a bad reed breather letting excess oil get to the resonator box (aggravated by being overfull :rolleyes:) and then slobbering out. I think a good cleaning and watch for an oil leak on the engine, you should be able to detect it in short order.

At the premium price you pay at a Ducati dealer, I would expect excellent service. If less than I expected I would bring it to the service managers attention, and if they fail to respond, look for a better dealer. Likely if you let them know your one of those “picky” customers:cool:, they may become more careful with your service. I’m sure they prefer you’re a happy customer who continues to drop your money in their shop….I feel your pain with trying to communicate with a dealership when you can not speak their language well…..But that’s my fault, so I just have to try harder, or have a lovely Italian friend who helps me, when I need to be perfectly clear. :D

·
Registered
423 Posts
The dealer may have adjusted the clutch handle- that is about the easiest thing to check.
TiDuc has the oil part covered.
One suggestion though- if you are looking for an oil leak, then one good way to find it is to clean the area very well, then spray a light coating of foot powder (or any light, white powder like talcum) over the suspect area. The contrast of the oil contaminated powder makes visualizing the leak very easy.

·
Premium Member
12,442 Posts
I think a requirement is to place oily hands all over the bike , when servicing.
No Smudges no work was done on it...

I would drain some oil out to the top line ...by looseening drain plug...
We buy oil in 4 liter jugs so I always pour 330 ml in a clean dry water bottle and dump most of the jug in , then top up...
Good idea to go ove r the whole bike after work has been done to catch things that may have been missed...
Let the shop know a good dealership wants to know if they messed up...so it won't happen again.. Be nice when talking to them...

·
Registered
692 Posts

Good idea to go ove r the whole bike after work has been done to catch things that may have been missed...
First point is probably not necessary. Just put the bike on the side stand or tip it to the left site and see if you can see "daylight" in the sightglass. If you can...there's no problem.

Second point...a good one. Tech's (even good ones) often miss stuff when reassembling, especially if you've added any electricaly gadgets.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I make such a mess when I've tried that! Now I use an oil-sucking vacuum pump (like mitivac, but for oil).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts