Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so, apparently my monster got a new issue.

back story: bough this bike 3 weeks ago with 23000km
it was using shit ton o fuel 8l/100km (btw the engine is restricted)
i went to a mechanic,payed shit ton of money just so he could tell me that there is nothing wrong with the bike

i have the bike for 2 days now since i got it from the mechanic, today on my way to work the engine started cutting out, i was riding at around 4rpm. was running fine from the house.

but when i was near my work place, it started cutting out when i gave it gas, and it was having hick-ups, i tried putting it in lower gear, nothing, higher gear nothing, if i gave it gas it was cutting out on me.

what could be causing this? is my mechanic an idiot?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
i got it figured out, the mechanic told me the fuel line was clogged, as always i didn't listen.

revved the fuck out of it in first gear, and after a few revs, it runs grate.

i guess she didn't like to be tamed at low rpm? now it runs butter smooth, good ol' italian tune up? i ran it at "full throttle" (it's actually only 1/4 cause of restriction for 15km and it fixed the issue, thoughts?

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
It is possible that the injectors were clogged with gum if the bike had been standing for a long time. A few years ago I did not use my old 900 Bevel Ducati the whole winter, and when I did use it it ran awful until the carbs cleared all the gunk in them. See how it goes.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is possible that the injectors were clogged with gum if the bike had been standing for a long time. A few years ago I did not use my old 900 Bevel Ducati the whole winter, and when I did use it it ran awful until the carbs cleared all the gunk in them. See how it goes.
It was the spark plug, had to be cleaned, the lower cilinder was not igniting properly. Any tips why I'm getting bad km/l? I ride slow at low rpm still get 13km compared to most people's 20

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wonder if the previous owner remapped it to get different AFR.
Nope, spend 150 euro to. Get it checked. Co is perfect. Map is original (I have termignoni exhaust) but the CO is perfect, everything regarging the ecu is perfect on paper.

But the exhaust smell like fuel, also, the spark plugs are very black, and if I turn the motorcycle on cold, and turn it off after 2 minutes, there is very little smoke coming out of the right terminal, not the left one... Idk. Also today one of the spark plugs died I think, they only have 3k km, bought new ones, let's see how it goes. I don't even know if the previous owner gapped them

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Keep us posted when you find what it is.
Ok, ill get new spark plugs tomorrow, if anyone has ideas please help idk what it can be!

Ecu is feeding the engine right at least on paper.

I ride very slow and still get absolute dog shit km/l

I tried riding "fast" -(1/4 of the gas, as I have it restricted) and I got 130km on a tank! That's like 11l/100km! Wtf! My 2000cc off road uses 8l/100km, and that thing is 2 tons (mind you the restriction doesn't affect gas consumption as some. People think)

MY dad's 280kg bmw k100 rs gets 450km on a tank and that's a 1000cc beast from 1980

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
oh boy oh boy, i'm in a lot of shit. i got it figured out, it was one of the cilinders not working properly. now it died. i clean the spark plugs, it works for a bit, and the lower cilinder stops working... FUCK! i'll buy new plugs and see if it helps. if not. i'll have to tear down the engine...

·
Registered
60 Posts
It's either fuel or spark. You say it's cutting out, which sounds like spark, yet you say it's using a lot of fuel, so that's a little confusing...
When I had a Monster 600, it had coils with screw on connections on the side opposite the spark plug. One day I noticed the engine lost power and cut out- long story short, it was the connection to the coil came loose (it's a screw on connection) creating a no-spark condition on that cylinder. I see the 620 has a weatherproof connection which is very different and more secure so it's probably not that, but don't rule it out entirely. You need to make sure you have spark to both cylinders first. Pull a spark plug and with heavy leather gloves, hold it so that it's near the case to see that it's firing when you run the engine. Do this to both plugs and watch a video to see how to do this properly. If you've determined that both plugs are working you can rule out spark. Then make sure both cylinders are getting fuel. This is where it gets tricky and I don't know your setup, but assuming you can't pull an injector, yet still have a running engine, you need to pull an injector and hook it up to make sure it's shooting fuel and not clogged up. Again, watch a YouTube video to see how to do that. Here's the thing- you're using a lot of fuel so it sounds like the injectors are working fine, and like Duccout mentioned it might be easier to check valve clearances and make sure those are within spec. Find a mechanic or do it yourself to be sure you've got proper clearances. Let us know what you find.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It's either fuel or spark. You say it's cutting out, which sounds like spark, yet you say it's using a lot of fuel, so that's a little confusing...
When I had a Monster 600, it had coils with screw on connections on the side opposite the spark plug. One day I noticed the engine lost power and cut out- long story short, it was the connection to the coil came loose (it's a screw on connection) creating a no-spark condition on that cylinder. I see the 620 has a weatherproof connection which is very different and more secure so it's probably not that, but don't rule it out entirely. You need to make sure you have spark to both cylinders first. Pull a spark plug and with heavy leather gloves, hold it so that it's near the case to see that it's firing when you run the engine. Do this to both plugs and watch a video to see how to do this properly. If you've determined that both plugs are working you can rule out spark. Then make sure both cylinders are getting fuel. This is where it gets tricky and I don't know your setup, but assuming you can't pull an injector, yet still have a running engine, you need to pull an injector and hook it up to make sure it's shooting fuel and not clogged up. Again, watch a YouTube video to see how to do that. Here's the thing- you're using a lot of fuel so it sounds like the injectors are working fine, and like Duccout mentioned it might be easier to check valve clearances and make sure those are within spec. Find a mechanic or do it yourself to be sure you've got proper clearances. Let us know what you find.
also, when the lower cilinder starts cutting out and eventually turns off if i keep trying to ride, fuel starts coming out the tank's ventilation tube. i'm saying fuel is good because the mechanic tested it and said the CO is perfect.

yet spark plugs are black as carbon, and fuel efficiency is garbage... i'm confused as hell

i'll check valves.

i'm not sure about the coils you're talking about, i'll take a look.

thanks for the tips, i'll try everything u told me

·
Registered
6,234 Posts
Los Serpent, I don’t mean this in a bad way, but it doesn’t sound like you have the skill set to fix the problem, and your “ mechanic” doesn’t either. You will learn eventually, but right now, you’re in over your head. Find someone else . Paying to get it fixed, and not getting it fixed, is money down the drain.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ok so, old spark plugs fire ok, still tho, just got the new ones, imma install them and give em a go, also, they are not gapped, it should be 0.06 or 0.07 but it's 0.08 (the new ones) i gapped them by eye and i grinded a credit card to 0.07 to give me a rough idea, i ordered the equipment to gap it but it hasen't arrived yet.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Los Serpent, I don’t mean this in a bad way, but it doesn’t sound like you have the skill set to fix the problem, and your “ mechanic” doesn’t either. You will learn eventually, but right now, you’re in over your head. Find someone else . Paying to get it fixed, and not getting it fixed, is money down the drain.
i didn't pay to get it fixed. i payed for him to check CO.

"but it doesn’t sound like you have the skill set to fix the problem" well neither did anyone when they were born, you learn stuff, if you pay someone to always tie your shoelaces, you'll never learn.

besides, what's so hard about following instructions? the ducati manual is a bible and has everything written on it. pretty sure i know how to unscrew bolts and take stuff apart....

besides if i check stuff like the fuel pump, fuel lines, air lines by myself, the mechanic won't have to do it, so it's money saved right there.... only thing i won't know how to do is check the electrical system, not because i won't know how to, just because tools to do so are hella expensive so it ain't worth it.

"Paying to get it fixed, and not getting it fixed, is money down the drain" i do agree there, the mechanic also slapped me with a way higher price, CO was supposed to be 30 euro, when i showed up he said 100. didn't wanna argue so i just said fuck it.

i've talking to mechanic and they told me for the fuel issue they'd have to check so much stuff and it would be an expensive job, so might as well do what i know how to do by myself.

even if i don't fix it, it's still all good for me.

i get to see what's hidden in under the tank, (rust, corrosion, rubber breaking (the fuel lines are starting to crack, so might change those) and that's something that will save me a buck down the road

also i get to learn stuff about engines that i didn't know, i enjoy doing this stuff, so worse thing that can happen, is i waste my time....

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think it was the sparkplugs, even tho they were sparking right, after swapping for new ones, it runs good, and they don't get carbon black like the old ones. Same brand... Weird. Anyways, talking about my fuel. Issue, I think I've found the issue,

See those 2 tubes? That's supposed to be the air intake of the tank isn't it? Well when the engine runs, it leaks bits of fuel, why?

·
Registered
6,234 Posts
You are right. Everybody needs to learn, nobody started out knowing every thing. This is a good forum to get the help and advice you need. I hope we are able to help you get your bike fixed and running like it should.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I don't think spark plugs alone will cure your issue. I suspect something else, but at least you're able to dig in and do some things yourself and save $$$$. We'll help if you get stuck.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts