Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

Which one ?

• 996/998

Votes: 8 38.1%
  • 1098/1198

Votes: 13 61.9%
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I said in my intro... I am planning on buying another bike in the spring with my annual bonus, and like to fully research purchases. I'm looking at either a 996/998 or a 1098/1198, mostly for mountain runs, and a few track days. So, I came here for info and maybe a bit of advice. I like the classic 916 styling of the 996/8 bikes a little more, but not enough difference to be a deciding factor. Outright power isn't all that important, but response, tractability, and rideability are. I'm an old, porky, used-to-be-pretty-fast guy. I'm spoiled on good suspension. Both the Strom and the Hawk have Penske double-clickers and reworked forks, and the TL is up for suspension work soon... so if either series has notably better suspension, that's important. I do have a 10-12k budget to work within, so any R models are gonna be a no-go. So anyone who has done a good bit of riding on both series, please chime in.

·
Bon Vivant
11,430 Posts
All the bikes you own now have pretty relaxed ergos, if you havent had much time on either of these ducs I suggest you find somebody nearby that can let you take a ride. The 916 series bikes are super aggressive and the 1098 only slightly less so. These bikes make Japanese sportbikes feel like touring bikes. If you are on the big side of things even a 20 minute track session might be too much on one of these bikes.

The 916 is gonna feel like a middleweight power wise compared to a 1098, the 998 is a little better but not close to the explosive power of the 1098/1198, they are in another league. and IMO the feel and suspension is also much more refined on the later bike (as you would expect). To me its a no-brainer, the 1098 is a better bike in every way. The only way I'd buy one of the 916 series bikes is if you have a sense of nostalgia for the older bikes and want to experience that era. But if you want the better bike buy a 1098/1198

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've ridden a 916, 996, and 1098 and fully aware of the ergos, but I haven't really done much time on any of them. Admittedly, the Strom has spoiled me though. I also owned a track only GSXR750 for a while which felt pretty close to the 996 to me. I'll probably end up with heli-bars, as the 1098 I rode had them and felt great. Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
... the Strom has spoiled me though.
Then go with an air cooled 2 valve Hypermotard. See pics, the two are very close when it comes to riding position. Minimal computer controls, unlike some bikes that pretty much have a desktop computer jammed into the fairing.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,151 Posts
I voted before I read your post. If you consider yourself to be a Barge Arse (a rather large and overweight Aussie tv character) then get the 1198. You may need all the power you can get.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Then go with an air cooled 2 valve Hypermotard. See pics, the two are very close when it comes to riding position. Minimal computer controls, unlike some bikes that pretty much have a desktop computer jammed into the fairing.

I'm not lookin to replace the Strom, I'm looking for something much much more agressive.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I voted before I read your post. If you consider yourself to be a Barge Arse (a rather large and overweight Aussie tv character) then get the 1198. You may need all the power you can get.

I'm 250 on a good day, after a healthy crap...

·
Registered
955 Posts
996 with raised clip ons and a comfy seat. I had that set up a few years ago and it made a great street bike if that is going to be its primary use. 998 would work well also if you didn't want the desmo heads

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
996 with raised clip ons and a comfy seat. I had that set up a few years ago and it made a great street bike if that is going to be its primary use. 998 would work well also if you didn't want the desmo heads
???

All use desmodromic valve actuation. In my experience the Testastretta engine is superior in virtually every way.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
To the OP's question.

In the performance to dollars ratio, you would have a hard time doing better than a 1098S these days. Lots of usable power, Ohlins suspension, and not much more than a good 916/996/998. The 1198S is more of the same (notably including traction control) but is holding value a little better at the moment. And while a 1198SP is probably the best of the generation for most people, it might be out of the $12k budget (Ducati of Omaha has one for $12k ATM)

Both the 916 and 1098 generations have plenty of parts and spares available (including Chinese aftermarket track bodywork).

·
Bon Vivant
11,430 Posts
At 250+ I think you are on the cusp comfort - wise. I have a buddy here who bought a 999, he's a little heavier but still very determined, He's ridden the bike a couple of times and now its for sale. Bigger guys have a hard time on Ducati sport bikes, they are super uncomfortable for everyone except small guys under 30.

My last sportbike was a 1098R. What an amazing competent bike that is! Now I go for more relaxed sportbikes, I currently have a streetfighter which is based on the 1098 and a Tuono which is derived from the RSV4. Both are excellent streetbikes, canyon carvers, and superb trackday fun bikes that, with the right rider, can hang with any sportbike.

·
Registered
692 Posts
with the prices on 1098s coming down its hard to ague against (I just sold one for $6000). the only really advantage the 916 generation bikes has is the aftermarket, you can build one anyway you want.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
with the prices on 1098s coming down its hard to ague against (I just sold one for $6000). the only really advantage the 916 generation bikes has is the aftermarket, you can build one anyway you want.
I thought about that, the ability to build something unique of the 916, in my response above. That is certainly a potential advantage, that an owner can take perhaps a ragged 996 and throw plenty of parts at it an get something that is just for them. More easily done with that generation even today than the 1098 generation, you could argue the 1098-gen doesn't need as much for most people, maybe just tailoring it to you.

However, while ultimate hp is not a major concern according to the OP, he does have a budget. And I would question if it would be possible to build up a 996 to get close to the performance of a 1098, much less a 1198.

One thing I considered given his OP was to recommend an 848 as the cheapest way to go. People may overlook it these days, When it came out the engine performance numbers were very similar to the 999R (which means also greater than the 996 or 998 in all variations). 848 are pretty cheap these days for what you get, $5-7k would buy about any of them in the real world and they often have a previous owner that put some of the expensive bits like exhaust on it before you.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
On a somewhat unrelated note, I recall a magazine article (may have been Sport Rider but might have been Motorcyclist). 2001 time frame, Futura had just came out.

They compared lap times for IIRC Mille, Futura, 996, and ST4s. (Basically same engine in a sportbike and sporty-tourer from 2 manufacturers).

IIRC ST4s was actually faster for some of the testers than the 996 due to comfort and ease of use. Not a huge amount faster of course, but I would wonder if for a person on the larger end of the curve having more relaxed ergonomics with the same power and similar handling would not be an interesting choice.

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,882 Posts
Unless I could get one of the versions with traction control, the extra power of the 1098 wouldn't outweigh the iconic 916 design.

For your budget and a combination of usability (mountains/track), style, and with power lower in importance it would probably be something like;

1198SP (or whichever other versions have good traction control)
1098S

Reactions: ProphetPVD
1 - 20 of 38 Posts