Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the cone oil prefilter or whatever it is where do I get an allen that big its like thirteen mm. I tried Sears, Kragen, Home Depot, and Pep Boys. Do I even need to clean that thing at six thousand miles?

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Yes, I do and I believe most others do. It's free, preventive maintenance. I got mine off the Snap On truck for like $24 I think. Oh, it's a 14mm.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I got a set with 14mm, 17mm, and 19mm at Pep Boys. You have to look carefully because the kit is for an impact wrench...but it works fine with my 1/2" ratchet. I couldn't find the part online, but if you go in the store and ask I'm pretty sure they still carry it.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I bought one for real cheap at a Napa auto parts store. They had to special order it out of one of their catalogs and it's no Snappy tool, but, it works fine for ~$10.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Scott, you can go to the Fastenal Company in Huntington beach #714.847.6013. They have them, their part number is 82806. They are $7.27 a piece. The brand is Armstrong, which is owned by the Danaher group. The Danaher group owns Allen Tool, Craftsman (makes craftsman tools for Sears), KD Tools, and Jacobs Chucks.

Jus' a thought.:)

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
Scott, you can clean the filter in kerosene or gasolene. I use kero and shake it out then leave to dry in sun. Compressed air could tear the mesh.

It's a good idea to check for chips or gunk on the mesh for recording purposes prior to cleaning.

·
Registered
463 Posts
scottrwilliams said:
Dang thanks brotha? Holy crap how did you do that? Dang! Scary.
Jus' helping out, paying it forward when I can.:)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Scott when I did mine on my 03 999. I looked for 2 weeks for an allen wrench that big that didn't cost $20. I found that the tool kit that came with the bike has a silver tube in it that is sized for the oil plug on one side and the oil prefilter on the other side. you also use this tool to pull out the spark plugs on your bike. its a bit of a pain in the ass to use because you need some torque to turn the prefilter but it saved me some cash when i did it. also make sure you don't loose the washer or at least buy a new one.

- Mike

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I had a feeling there was something in the kit that worked I checked the actual allen wrench and then gave up. How do you torque it properly to 47 nm? Believe it or not all the previously mentioned stores do not have it including Harbor Freight, Fastenall, Sears, Hillco, Home Depot, Kragen, Pep Boys, and Auto Zone.

·
Registered
25 Posts

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
You have the same thing as I do on my 2001 996 biposto. I went thru the same thing and opened a post about it last year in the archives. (do a search for prefilter in the old forums if you're curious)

I ended up finding a three-pack that had a 10mm, 12mm and 14mm I believe at Autozone (it was on their rack with all the other odds and ends type tools) for like $13 if I remember correctly.

Once you have that you can torque it properly.

·
Registered
463 Posts
scottrwilliams said:
I had a feeling there was something in the kit that worked I checked the actual allen wrench and then gave up. How do you torque it properly to 47 nm? Believe it or not all the previously mentioned stores do not have it including Harbor Freight, Fastenall, Sears, Hillco, Home Depot, Kragen, Pep Boys, and Auto Zone.
Scott, email me at [email protected] with the physical street address you want it delivered and I will send one your way Monday. * There is an underscore between Metal and Poet.

Put "Allen Wrench" in the subject.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts