Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

41 - 60 of 69 Posts

·
Excel Addict
5,082 Posts
Are you refering to the ballast as the counter weight? The ballast is the required power source for the HID bulb and is included with the kit.
Ah - the joys of the English language. So many examples of the same word (or sounding word) having completely different meanings.

Ballast - the weights in the bottom of a ship to keep it on an ecen keel.

Ballast - as Chuck wrote, the piece of electronics to power the HID unit.

This ballast provides a high voltage across the tiny "bulb" containing the Xenon gas (think of it like a spark plug operation) to start the arc by ionising the gas. Once the arc is struck, the ballast output the reduces to a much lower voltage to maintain the arc. Wikipedia has a good section on headlamps - the history, technologies etc. for those who wish to learn more.

Headlamp - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

·
Excel Addict
5,082 Posts
Ballast - the weights in the bottom of a ship to keep it on an ecen keel.
OOPS - might help if I spelt things correctly

the weights in the bottom of a ship to keep it on an even keel.

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
Hi,

What did you use to get such a clean cut with the intake boot?

I have to agree with the others I think the projector looks great :)

Gray :think:

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Hi,

What did you use to get such a clean cut with the intake boot?

I have to agree with the others I think the projector looks great :)

Gray :think:
Thanks! I used a fresh razor blade to make the cut, then smoothed it out using a hand held belt sander.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have a 94 that I have heavily modified and would love to get a new light since I ride at night and the OEM light are not that good. But i wonder how I could make up for all the space since the 94 has such a large square light?

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #47 (Edited)
I waited a while longer to take the fairing to the painter because i wanted to make damn sure that everything fit properly, so i rode the thing around for a couple of weeks with the upper fairing still in white gel-coat. I ended up having to cut the headlight hole open a little bigger because my headlight-to-fairing gasket was putting to much pressure against the fairing, so with the larger opening the gasket does not actually touch the fairing but still creates a nice transition from the gloss black paint to the glass lens of the headlight. I was also waiting on a new smoked windscreen to arrive to make sure everything fit with that as well.

I finally got the new upper fairing back from the body shop today, and their work turned out excellent. I got everything put back together tonight and took a few quick teaser pics. I plan to take more out in the daylight, but i wanted to share these for now (EDIT: updated these two with daylight pics)...

·
Registered
49 Posts
Wow. The bike looks a lot more "exotic" now. You could slap some Bimota logos on it and really confuse people.

Is there a part number on the Retrofit Source website for your kit or do you need to call and piece it together?

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Is there a part number on the Retrofit Source website for your kit or do you need to call and piece it together?
There isn't a motorcycle specific kit with selectable options on their website, so I just called them and had them put together a kit for me with my specs. They still gave me a bundle discount too, so it was only $150 for the custom kit.

·
Premium Member
376 Posts
I just updated the two teaser pics on the previous page, and here are a few more...
Words cannot describe the awesomeness.... :D

Lovely work as always - if you felt so inclined, you could probably make up those as a kit with the top fairing and sell them! (Hell, I'd probably buy one....)

·
Registered
218 Posts
Words cannot describe the awesomeness.... :D

Lovely work as always - if you felt so inclined, you could probably make up those as a kit with the top fairing and sell them! (Hell, I'd probably buy one....)
CS363- you'd be better off with a snorkel just now wouldn't ya?

If you were interested in getting one of these from Chucks source let me know and we could double up the order to save freight.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Couple of questions

Heh Chuck
firstly great job you've done here, and fantastic work on the pics and post.

I have a couple of questions
I'm assuming there wouldn't be space to leave in the existing headlight glass but project the HID lamp through it?
And do you reckon you'd get two in next to each other? Your fixing of the ballast and the fairly large mounting plates make me think it may be possible to fit two in and take up more of the space left by the OEM light unit.
My preference would be either leave the old glass or have twin lights.

cheers

Rob

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
I have a couple of questions
I'm assuming there wouldn't be space to leave in the existing headlight glass but project the HID lamp through it?
And do you reckon you'd get two in next to each other? Your fixing of the ballast and the fairly large mounting plates make me think it may be possible to fit two in and take up more of the space left by the OEM light unit.
My preference would be either leave the old glass or have twin lights.
I think there is enough room in the original headlight to mount the projector partially inside it (obviously would be a creative custom modification). I had given this some thought and kept it as an option if my original plan did not work out, but my goal was to eliminate the original headlight since i did not like its overall appearance.

I also think that there is enough room in the empty space that is occupied by the original headlight to do a twin side-by-side projector setup. The only challange would be mounting the two ballast units somewhere inside the upper fairing area as the connection from the ballast to the projector isn't very long.

I would have to charge so much to make it worth my time and effort that the price would not be appealing to anyone. :)

Thank you for all the compliments! It is much appreciated! :D

·
Registered
207 Posts
That came out really nice, Chuck. I was a bit skeptical on the single round heatlight but looks great with the painted fairing.

Curious... when you were talking with TRS do they have any smaller projectors than the one you used? I've been toying around with a similar project but will probably go the 2-light stacked route (a la 999).

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Curious... when you were talking with TRS do they have any smaller projectors than the one you used? I've been toying around with a similar project but will probably go the 2-light stacked route (a la 999).
They do have smaller non-bi-xenon projectors that could be used separately for hi and low beams.

41 - 60 of 69 Posts