Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2001 Ducati Superbike

So I asked this guy for pictures and he sent me some really nice pictures of the bike and everything else that comes with it. When I tell him I'm interested and I want to come see it (since I'm in Tampa) he tells me that he's not available and that he will not sell the bike local. He's only willing to sell through Ebay online. I explained that I don't buy sight unseen and he says that I only need to put down the $500 deposit and he'll send me the bike to "try out" for 3 days. If I don't like it I can send it back.

I tell him no thanks, I'm not interested in sending you money for me to not get a bike sent. He says it's the only way he's going to do it. Am I a fool and this is legit? Or was I correct in thinking this screams scam??

Here are the pictures he sent.

2001-Ducati-Superbike pictures by rav261 - Photobucket

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
I will gladly accept some laws or creation of a mechanism (whistleblower) so the average guy can sue these guys for deceit, false advertising, and/or just track them down and have them arrested for X, Y, Z offense.

It there is such a mechanism, let's turn this guy in and put him behind bars. Along with the rest of Nigeria scammers.

Hmm, any police that can run that plate?

·
Registered
247 Posts
Refusing to sell to someone who shows up at your house with CASH is about as big of a red flag as I can think of. As Mike Brady once told Greg.... Caveat Emptor!

·
Registered
106 Posts
I will gladly accept some laws or creation of a mechanism (whistleblower) so the average guy can sue these guys for deceit, false advertising, and/or just track them down and have them arrested for X, Y, Z offense.

It there is such a mechanism, let's turn this guy in and put him behind bars. Along with the rest of Nigeria scammers.

Hmm, any police that can run that plate?
Bike is certainly not his. He's either just linking to someone else's online gallery, or copied the photos from an ad and is reusing them.
I noticed a spike in traffic on one of my motorcycle galleries in my smugmug account a few years ago. Not long after, I got an email from a friend saying he saw my bike listed for sale on a couple craigslists down south. :mad:

At this point, I don't even reply to ads if they are marginally questionable. I've got a bunch of boat and truck stuff listed on craigslist right now, and I wouldn't be surprised if I've spam foldered legitimate emails due to lousy choice of wording, and not being specific enough in the questions asked. It's just part of buying and selling online anymore.

·
Registered
725 Posts
I love when I get a reply that asks "Is the item still for sale ?"

Uhhh... you mean the item I listed 15 min ago ?

that's why I use a yahoo / gmail / hotmail email addy for those transactions

·
Registered
124 Posts
I love when I get a reply that asks "Is the item still for sale ?"

Uhhh... you mean the item I listed 15 min ago ?

that's why I use a yahoo / gmail / hotmail email addy for those transactions
Or they tell you they want the item witout seeing it or riding it. But they want you to ship it too them cause they work on a oil rig and are gone for months at a time.....bullsheet I say!

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
I sold a bike last fall. Believe me, nobody trying to sell a bike ever turns down cash and a quick face-to-face sale!

·
Premium Member
949 Posts
Michigan plates

If you notice in the pictures, the plates on the automobiles and the motorcycle are all Michigan plates... So why is this ad in S. Florida???

Freakin' zombie scammers high on bath salts...

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
There are 2 others out of Orlando right now. I tried to contact both of them.:eek:
Black 2005 Ducati 999 s

The other one finally got deleted.. It was 2001 Runs Strong 748r... Bike is in a crate in KS seller is shipping out with his Air Force "Platoon" transaction will be handled by Amazon for my protection they will ship the bike for free, I have 3 days to make a decision if I want it pay; if not no money out of my pocket :roll eyes: Would I like the "Amazon Rep" to contact me? SCAM!

I am also in Tampa.
t_bare

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Anyone Care to point out all of the faults with the add?

Ducati Race Superbike 748R

Ducati Race Superbike 748R - $8900 (Orlando)

Date: 2012-04-22, 12:58AM EDT
Reply to: [email protected] [Errors when replying to ads?]

Beautiful Ducati 748R Biposto. Yellow - Does have the S package which makes this classic superbike street legal. Originally designed for track only. Has over $15k in upgrades. Marchesini 5 spoke wheels, Brembo high performance brakes, Dry racing cluch with open cover. No hydraulics! Showa racing and adjustable suspension front and back. Front and Rear Racing Sprockets. Fast by Ferracci dampers, Fast by Ferracci ECU Computer and Exhaust Pipes. New set of Pirelli Diablo's high performance rubber. The motorcycle is clean! Never raced or crashed. Arai Helmet, Ducati Performance large leather jacket. Bike Cover. Awson Bike! Beautiful single swinarm frame. Classic Italian Bike. Hand build by Ducati Motors, Now owned by Ferrari. Serviced only by Ducati / BMW motorcycle dealership. Everything is in working order. Clean Florida Title. Owners manual, two original keys, tool kit. Selling Price $9,999 For more pictures or information please contact me at (407) 580-9591

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
R with S package street legal originaly designed for track only.

Ducati owned by Ferrari instead of audi

748R biposto instead of mono

No hydraulics?

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
it is not an R
Brebo's are not upgrades

·
I have a button.. BITCHES!
8,971 Posts
Ducati Race Superbike 748R

Ducati Race Superbike 748R - $8900 (Orlando)

Date: 2012-04-22, 12:58AM EDT
Reply to: [email protected] [Errors when replying to ads?]

Beautiful Ducati 748R Biposto. Yellow - Does have the S package which makes this classic superbike street legal. Originally designed for track only. Has over $15k in upgrades. Marchesini 5 spoke wheels, Brembo high performance brakes, Dry racing cluch with open cover. No hydraulics! Showa racing and adjustable suspension front and back. Front and Rear Racing Sprockets. Fast by Ferracci dampers, Fast by Ferracci ECU Computer and Exhaust Pipes. New set of Pirelli Diablo's high performance rubber. The motorcycle is clean! Never raced or crashed. Arai Helmet, Ducati Performance large leather jacket. Bike Cover. Awson Bike! Beautiful single swinarm frame. Classic Italian Bike. Hand build by Ducati Motors, Now owned by Ferrari. Serviced only by Ducati / BMW motorcycle dealership. Everything is in working order. Clean Florida Title. Owners manual, two original keys, tool kit. Selling Price $9,999 For more pictures or information please contact me at (407) 580-9591
cluch

awson

swinarm

:D

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
"the motorcycle is clean!"

Does that mean:
. It doesn't have a criminal record?
. It's been checked for STD's ?
. It's had a Brazilian wax down on the low-side?

These are all important considerations when I'm shaking out a fresh new 'ho..

1 - 20 of 27 Posts