Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before anyone gets their panties kinked up their 3rd eye....
I just saw a nice vid & thought I'ld share...
(Maybe I'm just jealous I can't afford a 1098... & I'm not selling 2 bikes to get 1 1098)...My Repsol & 999 will HAVE TO MAKE DO!!
Cheers. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-426E4VNEU&NR=1&feature=fvwp

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, didn't know it was a re-thread....ooops!
Still, I liked it!

·
Registered
463 Posts
Ah hell, cut him some slack. Besides, everyone knows that the SSSA bikes suck when compared against the XX9's.

(Runs for cover)

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Sorry, didn't know it was a re-thread....ooops!
You've only been here since July, so we forgive you.

Back during the "Dark Days", the question was asked: which is the better bike, the 916, 999, or 1098. The ensuing thread and splinter threads created bloodshed on a biblical scale. Brother shot brother. Smoke and ash blocked the sun. The earth actually stopped rotating for 6 seconds. There used to be 5.3 billion members here at Ducati.ms. You see how few of us actually survived. The governments of 26 nations and 2 superpowers had to get involved, with all of their collective military might, to end the violence. Flash fires still erupt from time to time.

You just threw salt in a healing wound...tossed a lit cigarette into a dry pine forest.

Now you know.

Don't do that shit again.

:)

·
Registered
154 Posts

Back during the "Dark Days", the question was asked: which is the better bike, the 916, 999, or 1098. The ensuing thread and splinter threads created bloodshed on a biblical scale. Brother shot brother. Smoke and ash blocked the sun. The earth actually stopped rotating for 6 seconds. There used to be 5.3 billion members here at Ducati.ms. You see how few of us actually survived. The governments of 26 nations and 2 superpowers had to get involved, with all of their collective military might, to end the violence. Flash fires still erupt from time to time.

You just threw salt in a healing wound...tossed a lit cigarette into a dry pine forest.

Now you know.

everyone already know that the 1498 thats coming out in 2018 is going to be the best anyway!

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Now you know.

LOL...sorry, ya I'm new (forgive me)...but I have some ?s......
So IF the 1098 is so good, then why does Ducati Italy say that all they did was redesign & reshape the 996? They said that the 996 was the best selling, most head-turning bike Ducati sold & the 999 was too controversial with the looks. So they essentially went back to the 996 shape/styling. just added some BHP & dropped some weight....Wouldn't that mean that the 996 is a better bike?
They also said that the 999 was truely a defining point for Ducati....They thought it was an iconic bike...So if Ducati Italy likes the 999 better, I think you should chew on that info for awhile....I think we ALL are correct....being Ducatista...and all!
(You KNOW I HAD to start it....)

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
the 1098/1198 design is because Ducati succumbed to the economic power of the retro market, and gave up their traditional perspective of being on the cutting edge........;)

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
IMHO there will always be a certain retro aspect, or traditional may be a better word, for Ducati's. In the 999 it was there with the white faced dash and art-deco train look. But the 999 had a new and exotic look to it also, which the XX98 does not have. If Ducati had published that the 999 was modeled after a thin rather than a voluptuous woman, and not by a 1930's train, it too would have sold well. Or at least better....And FWIW, it was an incredibly successful race platform. (Tye jump in and say how over-stressed it was) but in reality, the end result by whatever means, was that it kicked ass in WSBK. Scoreboard counts.

Not a knock on the XX98, but it is simply an evolutionary, not a revolutionary design. It has never drawn the passion (aesthetically) of other designs.

I hope Ducati sets the bar a little higher for the next sport/superbike.

·
Registered
56 Posts

Now you know.

LOL!

To the OP, the answer to your question is that the 916 is better. :D

...or is the answer simply 52? :confused:

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
LOL...I opened up a can of worms...hmmmm?
Sorry, I was just watching the Discovery videos on Ducatis & Ducatistas & came across when the CEOs & such said that they were surprised that there was such a disdain for the 999 styling because it was such a revolutionary leap for them....then they stated that to try & bring back sales, they "re-invented/revamped the 996" because it was such a strong seller...
-So I'm like...WTF?

I personally like the looks of the 1098/1198, but EVEN Ducati said it was just an attempt to regain sales figures from the 999 losses, even though the 999 was "revolutionary"...they went backwards in order to go forwards...

So it was just kind of weird to hear a company say that & since I joined this forum, ALL I hear about is, "the 999 sux", "No, the 1098 sux", back & forth...of course owning a 999 I had to chime in...and looking through vids I found a comparo...hence the original post...

I mean, YES, if I had money free flowing from my pockets, I'ld probably have gotten a 1198 (if I couldn't afford a MV Augusta F4)...& IF I had tons of cha-ching, I'ld get a Desmodici RR or a NR750.

But as it stands, I am happy. I can ride my Ducati & revel in it's history, charisma, & clackety-clack clutch....or hop on the Repsol & really lay into the feeling of "made for the track" performance I get from it.

**(I know I'm REALLY gonna get it for that one, but the 999 feels "small" because of that thin tank & because of the clutch clankin' I think it's gonna fall apart if I open her up too much...But I've only had her a month or so, so hopefully when I get home I can have some time to get use to her...)

Anywho....sorry to start another Ducatista on Ducatista war, but thought I would post my thoughts, etc....Ciao

1 - 20 of 36 Posts