Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year I finally purchased my college dream bike, a clean 1997 916 Strada, with 10K miles and Ohlins rear. So happy to finally be staring down that big green tachometer on the morning commute. I'd like to actually use the 916 and not treat it as a garage queen. In fact, I truly love the power delivery and the handling (superb), and it's actually pretty comfortable for me. My only complaint for daily commuting in dense traffic is the terrible mirrors. I really cannot see anything useful. This is a serious issue for me, in particular in rain and darkness. Apart from bar-end mirrors (of which I'm not a huge fan, wrong position for me), are there good options for replacement mirrors that work better? Thanks for any input!

·
Registered
887 Posts
Mirror Inserts

Try adding a couple of stick-on convex mirrors available from auto supply stores. It seems to be better if you place the convex mirror insert toward the inside of the stock mirrors instead of on the outside. The outside edges are usually the only part of the mirrors that you can easily see with. The inside edges just show your elbows so when you put the convex part there, it still shows close freeway traffic better without blocking your longer distance rear view.

Attachments

·
Come in Spinner :)
8,384 Posts
Reevu helmet, nothing else comes close.

·
Registered
219 Posts
916/748/996/998 mirror options

Your best chance for something else is properly FAR who I think both now and in the past made most Ducatis original mirrors, but I'm not sure if any of the once available today gives you a bigger/better view

FAR | Catalogo 2018-2019

I also had the same problem and found a couple of mirrors that I was told by the seller was a 996/1098 hybrid made by FAR, but unfortunately, I can't find the email correspondence I had with the seller:frown2:

Attachments

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the input guys!
@Davy Checked out the Reevu helmet. Nifty design. Don't understand why we don't have rear-viewing camera's in our helmets yet. Seems so easy.
@Strega will try the convex mirrors. You're right, the inside part of the mirrors is utterly useless so can't lose there.
@Sthor996 Will contact FAR, seems like that may be my best bet. Yours work well? That would be awesome!

It's just such a shame. The 916 is a much better street bike than most give it credit for (my opinion). It's also the first bike that made it so clear to me why decent mirrors is an absolute must have on a bike to be practical. At least for me. I guess I continuously scan my surroundings so I know what's roughly where all the time. Not having mirrors makes that pretty much impossible. In good weather it's less of an issue since you can go a little faster than traffic. In poor visibility and rain that's not possible and you have to deal with traffic coming from rear. In that case, the lack of mirrors becomes a much bigger liability than what I'm comfortable with.

·
Registered
494 Posts
The other side of the argument is demonstrated as follows:

"https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjGXn249Fc0"

·
Registered
177 Posts
You can't just push in/out on the lens to adjust the view?
I have a 95 916 with the original FAR black mirrors and find the the rear view as good as any other bike I've had.

·
Registered
219 Posts
It works MUCH better for me

Thanks for the input guys!

@Davy Checked out the Reevu helmet. Nifty design. Don't understand why we don't have rear-viewing camera's in our helmets yet. Seems so easy.

@Strega will try the convex mirrors. You're right, the inside part of the mirrors is utterly useless so can't lose there.

@Sthor996 Will contact FAR, seems like that may be my best bet. Yours work well? That would be awesome!

It's just such a shame. The 916 is a much better street bike than most give it credit for (my opinion). It's also the first bike that made it so clear to me why decent mirrors is an absolute must have on a bike to be practical. At least for me. I guess I continuously scan my surroundings so I know what's roughly where all the time. Not having mirrors makes that pretty much impossible. In good weather it's less of an issue since you can go a little faster than traffic. In poor visibility and rain that's not possible and you have to deal with traffic coming from rear. In that case, the lack of mirrors becomes a much bigger liability than what I'm comfortable with.
It works MUCH better for me, and instead of just looking at my shoulders I can now see if there is anything behind me:laugh:

The mirrors 6889/6890 for the 1098 looks very much like mine and also have 33mm pin distance so maybe they will fit directly if the arm shape fit the faring shape, but here I'm sure FAR can help you.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You can't just push in/out on the lens to adjust the view?
I have a 95 916 with the original FAR black mirrors and find the the rear view as good as any other bike I've had.
Yea, you can. Still very limited view (for me). In addition, they have these stupid safety stickers "Objects are ..." that cover the most useful part of the mirror. And for the life of me, I can't get those off. Whoever came up with putting 'safety stickers' on an already limited mirror to cover the most usable part of the mirror...........this 'health and safety' nonsense is infuriating and dangerous.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
@casor point taken, and I agree. If good weather, it's mostly not that important. When it's dark, raining and pooling water on freeway, different story. Cagers don't seem to slow down for any of that and lots of them crash (at least here in the Bay Area since folks are not used to driving in rain), and I can't afford taking chances like that. So I slow down. But in that case, I like to know what's happening behind me.
@Sthor996 yep, sounds like that will be my best bet. Will reach out to them and see what they have.

·
Registered
494 Posts
No, I agree with what you're trying to do. I have the same issue on mine of course but I just live with it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts