Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
i use my 749 as my track bike, and have separate track bodywork for it. i am currently running a stock seat, which when combined with my new leathers, is SLICK. is there a better grip cover, or seat? without spending $300 on a seat
I replaced mine a long while ago with a 999r seat, I found one on ebay and paid about $120, then sold my 999 seat on ebay for $75, so it ended up costing me about $45.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I replaced mine a long while ago with a 999r seat, I found one on ebay and paid about $120, then sold my 999 seat on ebay for $75, so it ended up costing me about $45.
??? i also have a 999R. seat is just as smooth and slippery

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
There is no difference in the 999 seats model to model (base, s or r) at least in the 2005 year. The 999 seat is subject to getting slippery depending on how it was cleaned. If you use something like Dawn dish detergent which removes oil, and pat try with a towel it may help. It's a leather seat so I wouldn't go crazy scrubbing as leather needs to have some of the natural oils in it. My seat looks great and is not overly slippery using the occasional cleaning method described.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
I agree the leather tends to get "polished" and slippery with use, which is why a rub down with water and and oil removing detergent like dawn dish shop tends to put some grip back to the seat surface.

wait :confused:
am i not supposed to armor all my seat and leathers?

seriously , i think that over the years it has just gotten rubbed smooth, damn near polished.hell i have 3 xx9 seats, and all are pretty slick

·
Registered
701 Posts
Not true. 999R has a more textured seat...I think the one i saw might have been an 06.

There is no difference in the 999 seats model to model (base, s or r) at least in the 2005 year. The 999 seat is subject to getting slippery depending on how it was cleaned. If you use something like Dawn dish detergent which removes oil, and pat try with a towel it may help. It's a leather seat so I wouldn't go crazy scrubbing as leather needs to have some of the natural oils in it. My seat looks great and is not overly slippery using the occasional cleaning method described.

·
Registered
279 Posts
remove the cover material on your stock seat. Use that(and save it) to trace a new pattern on a more textured material. Recover,restapel on bottom and you have a grippy seat. This is EXACTLY what Ducati Peformance does with there aftermarket seat for the 1098 serius.

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
They are the same, same part number. There is an expensive fabric called alcantara, which is grippy, yet durable, similar to a faux suede. I've seen it on a few Ducati 999s and MVs. There was a member here who would cover the seat and bump pad for $130... not bad!

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
They are the same, same part number. There is an expensive fabric called alcantara, which is grippy, yet durable, similar to a faux suede. I've seen it on a few Ducati 999s and MVs. There was a member here who would cover the seat and bump pad for $130... not bad!
Yep alcantara is the best for grip w/out the upkeep and wearing out of suede. In my cars I always make sure I've got some alcantara on the steering wheels. :p

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Any idea who it was doing it?
Or is this a material i could maybe pick up at a fabric store and have an upolstery shop do?

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
Any idea who it was doing it?
Or is this a material i could maybe pick up at a fabric store and have an upolstery shop do?
IIRC his name was Joe, but I'm not sure of his username or if he is even a member still. Do a search and see what happens. Before Joe offered his services I called a fabric dealer in FLA. They said it would take about $100 of alcantara to do a small Ducati 999 seat. The guy didn't even guess so I imagine he's had a few inquiries.
Here's the guy, his username is: vintagemb ..... he resides in N.H.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts