Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, newbie to ducs here - i just got an 02 900ss and had to remove the fuel cap ring off the tank while changing out the fuel filter. haynes manual was
simple enough during disassembly but i'm having a hard time getting the ring to the tank back on. it seems the grub screws do not catch the lip of the tank because the rubber seal ring would not let it mount flush enough. i've been pressing hard while trying to get the set screws to catch but i'm worried i'll deform the tank if i press too hard - anybody has a trick to do this easier?

thank s in advance....

·
Registered
175 Posts
Grease and slow steady pressure. The black gasket is going to walk around on you and slip under the trim ring's lip, but what I used to do is:

Loosely mount the gas cap in the trim ring then align the trim ring/cap assembly on the tank so the cap is straight. Mark a line on the trim ring and onto a piece of tape on the tank with removable marker so you can align the cap when you button things up at the end. Remove the cap and set aside.

Grease the green o-ring on the trim ring with vaseline and wipe some on the tank mounting area

Put the black trim ring gasket in place on the trim ring. It will want to slip down but try to hold on to it.

Line up the marks you made on the trim ring and tape on the tank and push the forward edge of the trim ring in place making sure the black gasket is still in place and seals the gap between the trim ring and tank. It doesn't matter what the rest does. The front should be seated with the gasket in place.

Put the black gasket back in place around the trim ring and give a quick push on the rearmost part of the trim ring with the palm of your hand. If you did it right it should seat the trim ring and the gasket should be mostly there if not perfectly done.

Good luck.

·
Registered
89 Posts
The trick I use to getting the black rubber gasket on is to use a bunch of clothes pegs to hold it in place as I gradually work my way round pulling it up. Once in place you can remove the pegs and gently slide the assembly into the tank. Getting all the grub screws done up without it slipping off again is another matter.

Rob.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
I found a rubber mallet useful.

·
Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
5,345 Posts
My way and my name is not Frank Sinatra

Woodyracing - how true! If i had a $ for every F etc., I would be riding a Desmosedici.

The way I eventually did it was to leave the gasket off, push the assembly in as far as possible to leave enough gap the get the effer back in, then push/belt it home.

This is also why my fuel filter is now under the seat. Check my 20th march post for more info. http://www.ducati.ms/forums/showthread.php?t=39907

Richard

·
Registered
432 Posts
The way I eventually did it was to leave the gasket off, push the assembly in as far as possible to leave enough gap the get the effer back in, then push/belt it home.
This is what i have done and it makes the job easier for me. I also use a small precision flat blade screw driver to gently stuff the gasket down into place as i keep applying downward pressure on the gas cap.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I just pressed it and used a lot of grease. Other possibility is to cut a small piece from the o-ring and then glue it back together with loctite superglue. Then it should be a piece of cake.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts