Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My front fender looks like shit. I don't want it to look like shit. I've tried Meguiar's black restorer, and that shit lasted all of 3 days and went back to being spotty. What's your secret?!

·
Registered
503 Posts

Try this stuff. Spray it liberally and let it soak for a while (used bikes that come in the shop to resell get a heavy treatment and let sit overnight). I guard the tires and seat as it will leave them very slick. IT WORKS!

·
Registered
503 Posts
Mothers actually just jumped on the wagon with an aerosol version which I suspect is like the Maxima. The stuff you linked to I have tried with so-so results. Used it on my Jeep Wranglers faded fender flares and it works, bit doesn't seem to last long and requires frequent reapplication. The SC1 outlasts it by a long shot, in my experience (I live in southern Pa not Florida).

Mothers Back-To-Black Trim & Plastic Restorer Aerosol (10 oz) - MOT06110

·
Registered
600 Posts
I use Lexol Vinylex typically on all black plastic parts. Like Lexol for leather it's awesome for all plastics and use it on my vans black pklastic and every rubber seal as well. It has UV protection. Since I am somewhat new to windshields many people talk about Novus. I bought the clean and shine product but they have two more which should help to bring back some plastics. IN any case, the materials say good polish for all plastics.

The Lexol I wipe on and wait a few minutes and then buff it. I use the Lexol on the dirt bike as well with great results. Not too glossy on seats or dashboards either.

Attachments

·
Registered
869 Posts

Try this stuff. Spray it liberally and let it soak for a while (used bikes that come in the shop to resell get a heavy treatment and let sit overnight). I guard the tires and seat as it will leave them very slick. IT WORKS!
I second this...great stuff

Reactions: Wolverine1

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow, lots of good responses, thanks for the suggestions. I will try all of the things!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Maybe I'm in the minority, but I think the best solution to cheap black plastic is to simply remove it. You don't have to replace it with pricey carbon either, just make it gone!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Here is how I solved this problem....

Just finished gluing it back together (clear tape is holding it).

In my opinion it should have been this way from the factory. When my wife bought her 2014 Monster 1200S part of the ad campaign was about "the distinct carbon front fender of the S model" or something like that. Now we get ABS.

This alternative looks good and saved me about 2 grams which should be worth about 10 hp!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,227 Posts
I have used vaseline on faded switches with great results ST4 etc. but that is different plastic to your guard. Maybe try a small area.

·
Premium Member
12,281 Posts
There is a product Deep Lube in a spray can it works but is smelly.
I have many back to black, Plastic restorer etc. etc.
Seems mothers Meguirers Turtle wax they all change their products.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I have the same problem with my hyper's matte black plastic parts. Hard water spots from what I have been told. I have tried a back to black and a few plastic restorers with only very temporary results. Going to give SC1 and a few other suggestions a shot.

Good thread

Attachments

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Made a cloudy mess of my black plastic once using a wax. Someone suggested WD-40 on the Net to clean it up. Tried it and it worked like magic. Cheapest solution yet.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts