Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please forgive my noobieness if this has been discussed before. My new
2005 ST4s was loaded today and will arrive in about a week. Besides trying to locate a set of Cycle Cat bars, what else do my fellow 04-05 ST4s owners feel really good about adding or changing on their Duc? Except for the DP cans and airbox, this is a stock bike. Real curious about the seat, windscreen, and whatever else you guys have to say.
Thanks Lappy

·
Registered
139 Posts
what stuff?

I went with a sargent seat for my '04. I probably would have just kept the stock seat on (because it was quite comfy) but the cover was starting to check. I think the original owner put some chemicals on it. BTW, the sargent is really nice.

I have the stock windshield and it seems fine.

You may have to go with heli-bars because the cycle cats are hard to find.

I put grip heaters on and now I am spoiled with em.

Since you got the "s"... your suspension should be great.

Have fun,

Randy

·
Still needs a life.
12,600 Posts
Get a 42 or 43 tooth rear sprocket. Don't wait until it is time for a new chain, do it now. You will need to add two links to the OEM chain.

If you weigh more than 200lb or ride two up often, you will want to get a heavier rear spring. The OEM spring was made for the mythical 160lb Italian rider.

The OEM handlebars, seat, and windscreen all worked fine for me. When Paul Geller finally turns out a Ducati Designs headlight package for the new style (MY 04 and later) ST's, you will want to get one if you ride after dark.

If you buy the proper adapter from Powerlets, you can plug your Battery Tender into the power outlet to keep the battery charged.

·
Registered
494 Posts
It really depends on you and your riding intentions.
I'd highly recommend getting used to the bike before you change a bunch of stuff.
- As mentioned, she's geared very tall. So that needs attention. Sage advice there.
- Other than that, a good GPS and mount are handy. (Garmin CSx60 / DD mount.)
- Maybe a throttle locker. I use the Throttlemeister and seem to use it often.
- Tank bag.
Be careful on the exhaust. Sure, a loud exhaust sounds good. But if you're putting on the miles you may not want that level of Ducati signature. I went through 4 different ones. (stock, Sil ovals, DP C-F, and another set of Sil Ti ovals). I lke the flexability of removable "dB Kllers" (removable baffles).

Again, your bod will adjust to the riding position, so don't get too change happy in that area just yet.

hth...

·
Registered
920 Posts
Please forgive my noobieness if this has been discussed before. My new
2005 ST4s was loaded today and will arrive in about a week. Besides trying to locate a set of Cycle Cat bars, what else do my fellow 04-05 ST4s owners feel really good about adding or changing on their Duc? Except for the DP cans and airbox, this is a stock bike. Real curious about the seat, windscreen, and whatever else you guys have to say.
Thanks Lappy
If you give us your dimensions, we would have a better idea for what you might need. Just about every ST rider I have met seems to be bigger than average (height and weight). Your ST has plenty of room for a sport bike but more can be had if necessary. I'm 50YO 6'4" 250lbs. 36" inseam. I added the DD peg kit and Cycle Cat bar adjusters (on longer sold). This helped quite a bit, though was very comfy before the changes. Just gave me more saddle time potential.

I'm surprised Bill didn't mention the DARK helmet screen requirement if you are 45+:D Welcome. Fred

·
Registered
920 Posts
Keep it stock. You could spend a fortune meddling with perfection and not make it any better.
What's the fun in that?

I do agree to ride it a while before making changes, except the gearing.

Spoken like a youngster that falls into the "160lb" zone.;)

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
Make an odometer upgrade then after this upgrade is complete you will know where to spend your hard earned dollars.
In all seriousness I would just ride it for a few months and see what you feel it lacks. Take the time to set up the suspension properly and just ride it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys,
The odometer upgrade sounds like the best idea. To lower the gearing do most go with the larger rear sprocket or a smaller counter sprocket? I'm 5'10" 185-190lbs with a 32" inseam. Coming off a carpal tunnel surgery so I'm not ready for any long trips anyway. Hopefully in another month or so I'll be gtg.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Just ride the darn thing and figure out for yourself what you want/need.

The list gets these kinds of questions all the time from new ST owners and everyone on here has their opinions but end of the day none of us know you and what you prefer.

·
Registered
455 Posts
You've heard it before and I would agree, put a couple thousand miles on it and then decide. After doing that I decided not to go with the lower gearing. But I live in California and don't ride much in town even then there have been some times in that last gear where I'm looking for another. Until I look at the speedometer! Seat is good. It doesn't "lock" you in to a position so you can slide around as needed. I love the fairing and wind flow on the bike (since most of my other bikes haven't had any). At 5'10"; 155lbs, the ergos seem good to me. I changed the rear turn signals to a different shape with clear lenses and amber bulbs. I like the esthetics much better. Also found a CF DP kit which looks great and sounds incredible. But it sets off car alarms in some cases. Not that I like loud pipes at all they just didn't come with silencers. Overall you have a great bike just as it is and are lucky to have found that year, model, color. Do you have the hard bags? If so, then you must get the bag liners (because everyone else has-it's like a disease apparently).

·
Mr Leakered
8,819 Posts
Heated grips. Period.

They significantly expand the riding season and make life quite nice on the days in between.

Have fun with your new ST.

·
Still needs a life.
12,600 Posts
To lower the gearing do most go with the larger rear sprocket or a smaller counter sprocket?
Go with the larger rear sprocket. Some have reported issues with the chain rubbing the chain guard and swing arm if you try using a smaller front sprocket.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just ride the darn thing and figure out for yourself what you want/need.

The list gets these kinds of questions all the time from new ST owners and everyone on here has their opinions but end of the day none of us know you and what you prefer.
EXCUSE ME :mad:
The "darn thing" isn't here yet so this is what I get to do while waiting for it. Kinda nice to know what upgrades are available for the bike and learn which ones people are willing to spend their hard earned money on before I waste mine. This is why these forums exist....am I wrong? I tried searching before I posted so I wouldn't piss anybody off about duplicate posts, but came up with nothing.
Let me know what's out there. I'll decide if it's something I gotta have or not.
Been in the saddle since 1964...this isn't my first Ducati but this is my first ST
Lappy

·
Registered
259 Posts
If you do an advanced search on upgrade or mod and confine it to the sport touring forum you will see thread after thread that discuss the various modifications and upgrades in detail, pros and cons, likes, dislikes, and on and on. You are right that is what this forum is all about.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I put on a new windshiled fro mZero Gravity - it made a huge difference.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts