Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for recommendations for tires for a track-only 999. I currently have Michelin Pilot Powers (2CT rear and standard up front) and they are okay, but I think I can get better front end feel with better tires. I do not use tire warmers yet, but may hook up a set of chicken hawks for next season.

Thoughts? Thanks!

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,875 Posts
I just put on a set of Michelin Pilot Powers (were supposed to be 2CT's) and I not that impressed. I did a track weekend earlier this month and though I wasn't sliding them all over, I didn't have the confidence I did in the Pirelli Dragon Supercorsas I had before. Even on the street I'm not a huge fan of the Michelins so far.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Any race DOT tire is a great place to start. I like the new Bridgestones. BT-003. The 999 will eat regular street tires...at least that was my experience...good for about 200 track miles and 'whoosh'...gone.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I just put on a set of Michelin Pilot Powers (were supposed to be 2CT's) and I not that impressed. I did a track weekend earlier this month and though I wasn't sliding them all over, I didn't have the confidence I did in the Pirelli Dragon Supercorsas I had before. Even on the street I'm not a huge fan of the Michelins so far.
+1

I am not a fan of Pilot Powers or Pilot Race on the street or track. Get yourself a set of DOT Race Pirellis. I have been hearing good things about the Dunlops and will be trying a set of those before too long.

·
wishes it was summer
697 Posts
I run Pirellis Supercorsas on my track bike. They have great grip and decent feedback. They do not last too long though. I have also run Dunlop 209GP and they are also great tires. With the hardcarcass construction of the dunlops you have awesome feedback compared to the soft caracass construction used in the Pirellis. I have been wanting to try a set of Dunlop 211GP.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Power Ones +1

·
Registered
857 Posts
Tires I tried on the track (cold tire pressures)
1. Metzeler M3 (29-30)
2. Michelin PP 2CT (29-30)
3. BridgeStone BT-002 (29-30)
4. Pirelli SuperCorsa (25-27)

Metzeler M3 is POS compared to the others, but the tire doesn't wear out.. I just removed it coz I got tired of it. - 3 track days + 2000 street miles

PP 2CT. Feels like you're riding faster. sticks well, occasional slides (rider err?) - 2 trackdays - had to change cause my wreck made the rear tire bulge, not because of the tread life

BT-002. Same as PP2CT, sucks big time in rain/damp track (of course, we should get wet tires for rain ;) ) - 5 track days, still has some life left

SuperCorsa: These things stick!!! Very confident lean angles, you can just keep leaning :D Expensive, supposedly wears out pretty quick.. Only did 2 track-days with these.

That being said, I heard a lot of good things about Michellin's new DOT race tires. Power Ones. I will try those next time.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Find yourself a racer that switches tires after every race weekend and buy his/her take-offs. Typically they are still in great shape and have lots of life left, especially at trackday pace. We tend to be overly cautious about using new tires some of us do. PM me and I will give you the contact info of a buddy of mine that lives in yor neck of the woods, races a 749R, and always has some Michelin Power 1 takeoffs for sale in awesome condition.

If you were close to Cincy or coming to MotoGP in Indy I would sell you a set off my 999 that I will be removing this week after this past weekends races on them. My Power 1's are 180/120 PRV front B rear. 3 x 8 lap sprint races and less than 10 practice laps on them. They still have lots of life and have no negative wear patterns i.e. poorly setup suspension.

I will sell my takeoffs for $100 picked up or $100 plus shipping. This is cheap for a set of almost new $400 race tires.

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Awesome feedback! Thanks!

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,875 Posts
Look at take offs on a case by case basis. One weekend in the hands of an expert/club racer is enough to completely thrash a set and not worth the money to even mount them. Sometimes you come accross a set that truly does have a lot of life left in it.

Forgot to mention. A guy in our Chicago area Ducati club raves about his Bridgestone BT016's. He is pretty damn fast on the track and does a lot of street miles too.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Another +1 for the pirelli supercorsa. Great tire: gets upto temp quickly, great grip, easy steering.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Find yourself a racer that switches tires after every race weekend and buy his/her take-offs. Typically they are still in great shape and have lots of life left, especially at trackday pace. We tend to be overly cautious about using new tires some of us do. PM me and I will give you the contact info of a buddy of mine that lives in yor neck of the woods, races a 749R, and always has some Michelin Power 1 takeoffs for sale in awesome condition.

If you were close to Cincy or coming to MotoGP in Indy I would sell you a set off my 999 that I will be removing this week after this past weekends races on them. My Power 1's are 180/120 PRV front B rear. 3 x 8 lap sprint races and less than 10 practice laps on them. They still have lots of life and have no negative wear patterns i.e. poorly setup suspension.

I will sell my takeoffs for $100 picked up or $100 plus shipping. This is cheap for a set of almost new $400 race tires.
+1.
My supercorsas were Take-offs. I was a little hesitant before getting on the track, but man they were better than my new BTs or 2cts

·
Registered
89 Posts
I've ran the Supercorsa Pro's, Dragon Supercorsa's, and now the Bridgestones BT002's and BT003's. I loved all of them and only switched to the Stones because they were $80 cheaper than the Pirelli's since they jacked up their prices. I tried the PP2ct's and they were sliding everywhere after 1 1/2 trackdays and I crashed on Dunlop Qualifiers so I will NOT be running either of them again. The BT016's are more street than track, but they are excellent tires and I would highly recommend for Intermediate group trackday riders.

·
Registered
92 Posts
A few friends of mine were running the 2CTs at 28-30psi cold and having the same problems...rear sliding on a hot day, raised the pressure 2psi, no more problem. The 2cts are street tires, and seem to be designed to run at higher pressures. I also have run pilot power ones (race not the commercial ones), A front and B rear, at the recommended 25 psi on my 996, and they stick! That being said the dragon and the diablo supercorsas are great too....its all in your mind which one is better as long as you are using the proper psi/warmup.

I've ran the Supercorsa Pro's, Dragon Supercorsa's, and now the Bridgestones BT002's and BT003's. I loved all of them and only switched to the Stones because they were $80 cheaper than the Pirelli's since they jacked up their prices. I tried the PP2ct's and they were sliding everywhere after 1 1/2 trackdays and I crashed on Dunlop Qualifiers so I will NOT be running either of them again. The BT016's are more street than track, but they are excellent tires and I would highly recommend for Intermediate group trackday riders.

·
Registered
857 Posts
A few friends of mine were running the 2CTs at 28-30psi cold and having the same problems...rear sliding on a hot day, raised the pressure 2psi, no more problem. The 2cts are street tires, and seem to be designed to run at higher pressures.
That's interesting... I thought lowering the tire pressure caused a bigger contact patch, which in turn should lower sliding... So, a lower pressure in the 2CT is making the dual-compounds creating one contact patch, and making it slide due to irregularity in contact patch.. is that the theory?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts