Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to try some different tires on my 2008 hyper, best ones?

I've been running michelins, pilot pwr 2ct, been alright but want something with more tread, for crappy spring roads here in Wisconsin. I tend to be out very early in the year, lots of crap on the roads. Not a dual sport tire but sometimes for gravel strewn roads. Continental maybe? Any ideas?

·
Registered
185 Posts
I like my Pirelli Diablo Rossi II. good balance of grip and tread life. If you're looking for more performance, go with Pirelli Diablo Supercorsas. You won't be disappointed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have always been a fan of Q3s and just got a set in the other day. The Supercorsas on my 939 were phenomenal up until I ran over something and punctured both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I have been pleased with Q3's.

t_bare

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I want to try some different tires on my 2008 hyper, best ones?

I've been running michelins, pilot pwr 2ct, been alright but want something with more tread, for crappy spring roads here in Wisconsin. I tend to be out very early in the year, lots of crap on the roads. Not a dual sport tire but sometimes for gravel strewn roads. Continental maybe? Any ideas?
I run Q3's as well but they would not be good for these conditions. Q3's and gravel equal pain and the need for new parts.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Go with Pirelli. There is a reason they come on your bike. Avoid Q3s. I do not like them at all. I don't see the advantage of saving a tiny amount of money for an inferior tire. Motorcycle tires are cheap. I suggest the Pirelli Diablo Rosso II

·
Registered
5 Posts
So as far as tires go for me q3's have always been my favorite sport tire good feedback, excellent grip the only issue is they wear out pretty quickly. I'm running the bridgestone t30evo right now on my hyper for commuting purposes and for what I do it's my favorite tire right now, enough grip to haul a** through corners with my knee on deck and I'm getting 5k out of the rear which is about double compared to q3's my only gripe is you don't have as much grip in reserve for trail braking and such but they slide very predictably. However if your riding on heavily graveled roads I'd go with pilot road 4's, all of the sipes in the tread seem to dig through fine gravel so it can get to the pavement underneath, as far as grip and tread life they seem equal to the t30's for me. Sorry for the long-winded response just thought I'd give my 2¢ on what I've found works on the hyper across the board

·
Registered
145 Posts
I ride in WI and the roads on this side are more sand than gravel. I prefer street (soft) over touring (hard) tires, but neither can deal with sand + water + cold surface when pushed. I have a 939SP w/ Supercorsas and ride all year when it's above freezing. No problems, but I square corners on dirty roads. Supercorsas are an extremely supple trackday tire, and I would not waste money on them for street riding. General riding (sport vs. touring) is a balance between feedback and traction. I lean toward feedback and have owned the following:

Bridgestone BT-023s are solid all year tires. No issues on a DRZ doing street, dirt, and trackdays.
Dunlop Q3s give wonderful feedback but tend to slide if the road isn't clean.
Metzlers did not impress--commuting only tire to save money.

RevZilla picks for the year: https://www.revzilla.com/best-motorcycle-tires-2017

·
1st Gen Hypermotard Hooligan
992 Posts
Running Pirelli Scorpion Trails and have been pleased. Not sure about a track day but they're a good urban tire where a little gravel or less than ideal road condition doesn't seem to phase them too bad. General sport riding is good too so far. If you're looking for something a little less focused, I'd recommend these.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Go with Pirelli. There is a reason they come on your bike. Avoid Q3s. I do not like them at all. I don't see the advantage of saving a tiny amount of money for an inferior tire. Motorcycle tires are cheap. I suggest the Pirelli Diablo Rosso II

+1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
178 Posts
I like the Metzeler Sportec M7 RRs I have on currently, good balance between a super sticky super sport and a dual sport. They stick really good when up to temp and deal with gravel/road debris pretty well. Depending on how they last, currently at 2500 miles and about 50-60% worn on the rear, I will go for another set or try the Pirelli Scorpion Trail IIs next for a bit more dual sport focus.

METZELER - Racetec Slick

https://www.pirelli.com/tyre/ww/en/news/2014/10/16/scorpion-trail-ii-the-new-enduro-street-tyre-from-pirelli/

·
Registered
155 Posts
+1 for the Pilot Roads. I had the PR2s on my hyper when I lived in the Midwest and they were a great commuting/wet weather tire. Even did a few track days on them.

Down here in the south I run Pilot Power 3s mostly for backroad blasting and track days, but they are not nearly as good as the PR2s when the pavement gets sketchy or wet.

·
1st Gen Hyper Hooligan
2,372 Posts
PR4 and loving them. Will run Q3's once they are done. Im not sure what PKL is talking about but the Q3 is a superb tire that will give you a lot of reason to buy it again. Cheers.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
PR4 and loving them. Will run Q3's once they are done. Im not sure what PKL is talking about but the Q3 is a superb tire that will give you a lot of reason to buy it again. Cheers.
Ya, I thought "avoid them" was kind of harsh. I've run a lot of tires, and I have yet to find a street tire... you know, one that's mostly smooth rubber with the odd groove for rain... that works on dirty roads. Sand will make any tire slide, but you're better off with more grooves (or even knobbies) on dirt as it will, to a much lesser extent, behave like water and get pushed into the grooves/voids which gives the contact rubber more purchase. Less square area of contact patch also means more pounds per square inch for traction purposes.

Q3's offer fantastic grip and front-end feedback in dry conditions, really exceptional especially given the price... I don't have the cohones to push any tire hard enough in the rain to really find out which ones let go first... I go slow when it rains. And I ride a dirt bike in the dirt.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts