Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a great tank protector. I just got a new tank installed and I was looking at the Geelong carbon small tank protector. What else is available out there that any of you guys would recommend? The Geelong looks really nice but it has to ship from Australia and is a little pricey.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

Attachments

·
Registered
603 Posts
The nicest tank protectors I've seen are leather/faux leather, run from the front of the tank to the rear, and sometimes double as a base for a tank bag. They are pricey but they keep the classic look of the bike. Ive never understood the stick on protectors. Sure they prevent scratches, but they cheapen the look of the bike and pull paint off when you remove them.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPad app

·
Registered
758 Posts
The nicest tank protectors I've seen are leather/faux leather, run from the front of the tank to the rear, and sometimes double as a base for a tank bag. .....
Do you mean this one? It was a factory accessory when the bikes were in production. They hold a nice tank bag that snaps in, so very secure. And the best feature.... it keeps your expanded gas tank nice and snug to the frame. :rolleyes:

Attachments

·
Registered
64 Posts
Do you mean this one? It was a factory accessory when the bikes were in production. They hold a nice tank bag that snaps in, so very secure. And the best feature.... it keeps your expanded gas tank nice and snug to the frame. :rolleyes:
Do they sell that tank bag still? If so how much is it?

·
Registered
758 Posts
Do they sell that tank bag still? If so how much is it?
Ducati Part No. is 96748706B. I assumed that it had not been available for years, but you might find one on e-bay. But then I just did a search and found this:

Ducati TANK BAG from DONAHUE SPORTS CENTER CORP

I would imagine this is pretty rare and there have definitely been people here on the forum looking for this.

Pricey, but well made, and it is both a tank cover and the tank bag. Bag has a pretty large capacity, although it gets awfully tall and feels in the way as you reach over the tank to the handlebars.

Attachments

·
Registered
444 Posts
For best looks and great protection...

I like the genuine ducati accessory protector, but not installed with the logo part on the top of the tank like they intended (cos then it covers up the nice 3 stripe speed line) instead install the big logo part on the back side of the tank where it will protect from buckles/zips... and just toss away the tail part, like this:

If protecting the top part of the tank (where the 3 line stripe is) is still an issue (i.e. you have a bit of beer belly like me...) then just cover that with a section of clear adhesive vynil - it's cheap, easy, virtually invisible and can easilly be removed in the future if needed. I've got some on in the pic above.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Right on!

Sent from my Motorcycle iPad app

1 - 10 of 10 Posts