Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it is getting to the point where I need to replace the Michelin Pilot Power 2ct's on my 749. I am mellow twistie rider and a solid beginner track day rider (on my way to intermediate). I would like a tire that does both jobs pretty well. I know that you can not have a tire that is amazing on track and street but I am willing to compromise a little on both. Any thoughts. Should I just replace the 2 ct's.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Any one running Michelin Power One's? I do not ride in the rain so wet grip is not an issue. Durability issues?

·
Duc ... Duc ... GOOSE!
1,928 Posts
Headed to Laguna Seca on Tuesday with Bridgestone BT-003s on my '03 749S; I'll report back on Wednesday.

I ran Laguna last year on Pirelli Corsa IIIs and they were great ... but I think the Bridgestones will be better.

·
Registered
20 Posts
On my 749 I been trying different tires and compounds but at the end I always go back to Pirelli. For my style of riding I feel they fit me perfect and the bike responds really well. I personally will go with a Corsa III, for me they are great tires.

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Just tried a set of BT003RS's. They are easy to get sliding around on you, and their abilities in the wet are suspect. Otherwise, they have good feedback and turning characteristics. I've used Pilot Powers quite a bit, and I'm convince they are the best all-around street/track day tire that won't let you down in most conditions.

For the nay-sayers: I said "all-around", not calling it the best track specific tire for dry conditions :p

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
b-16's for me.had pp'sthen ppct's.the stones wear far better and stick as well if not better than any tire i've ran.the price makes them a no-brainer

·
Registered
50 Posts
I beleive that this is a tricky area just like bikes; different people have different likes. I used to be a only Michelin person but since have tried the Bridgestone 002's on my T and so far have loved them, have a set of 003's waiting for my Duc. Mind that I do not go into tracks anymore, all street riding (still very agressive as permited by surroundings) and have heard and read opinions about the Bridgestones that slide controlably when they get very hot and pushed hard but is understandable for a road/track tire.

The cost/performance point of view is the best above the others IMHO for the street. If I were to track my bike, I would use DOT's with the compound for the track and conditions with tire warmers and trailered. Thats me though, I feel that if you're going to do something, do it right.

I consider road/track tires to be more on the street side and to be the best they can in that environment and for an occasional track day at an intermediate level at the most. Just MHO, as also I would see wrong doing to put a DOT on the street for all it's intended purposes.

Salut

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
So it is getting to the point where I need to replace the Michelin Pilot Power 2ct's on my 749. I am mellow twistie rider and a solid beginner track day rider (on my way to intermediate). I would like a tire that does both jobs pretty well. I know that you can not have a tire that is amazing on track and street but I am willing to compromise a little on both. Any thoughts. Should I just replace the 2 ct's.
For this speed level the BT 016's are more than enough tire. I ride on my SS with 016's on street rides with expert level track day riders, while I have a challenge keeping up, the tires are more than up to it. And the price is right.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Pirelli DC3's. All the way.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I beleive that this is a tricky area just like bikes; different people have different likes. I used to be a only Michelin person but since have tried the Bridgestone 002's on my T and so far have loved them, have a set of 003's waiting for my Duc. Mind that I do not go into tracks anymore, all street riding (still very agressive as permited by surroundings) and have heard and read opinions about the Bridgestones that slide controlably when they get very hot and pushed hard but is understandable for a road/track tire.

The cost/performance point of view is the best above the others IMHO for the street. If I were to track my bike, I would use DOT's with the compound for the track and conditions with tire warmers and trailered. Thats me though, I feel that if you're going to do something, do it right.

I consider road/track tires to be more on the street side and to be the best they can in that environment and for an occasional track day at an intermediate level at the most. Just MHO, as also I would see wrong doing to put a DOT on the street for all it's intended purposes.

Salut
I agree.
I use pirelli supercorsa's on my track bike and I love them, however I do not think I would use them on the street. I ran more street orientated tires before (dunlop qualifiers) however those got destroyed on the track in no time (one trackday was enough to destroy a almost new set).
Another reason I'd put some track tires on there for tracking is that imo it's so much more fun to ride new tires then old and flat tires.
If you don't want to get different tires for both types of riding I'd get the DC3's... I used to ride michellin however I've grown to dislike the tire. For me it's pirelli all the way.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts