Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
So I already had my first track day and of course, I am HOOKED now.
I need advise to see what is the best set of rear sets I can get for my 1198.
Any comments much appreciated! I have seen Ducati Performance, Vortex, Speedymoto, etc and prices seem to be all over the place, and I am not sure why?
Cheers!

Attachments

·
Registered
508 Posts
speedymoto

Speedmotos are wonderful and they are out of Oregon! Thats my choice...

·
Registered
76 Posts
I was interested in the Speedymoto rear sets until I saw some very disappointed posts about the install difficulties and general fit and finish on the other Duc forum.

I narrowed my choices down to the Lighttech, Satos, and Acculigns. I haven't seen many people with the Lighttech, so those pretty much dropped off my list. It was a toss up between the Satos and the Acculigns. Being that I saw quite a few people who were pleased with the Acculigns and the fact they are US made (so parts are probably easier to source), I opted for the Acculigns. The one thing about the Acculigns was that there wasn't any install instructions...only instructions on the various adjustment features. I was a bit surprised that I had to recycle the shift and brake lever pivot bolt from the stock rear set and brake lever setup. So far I've been pretty pleased with the rear sets. I'm still fine tuning the the rear sets but have the gross settings where I want them. My knees are now up on the sides of the tank where I want them.

·
Registered
16,908 Posts
We have huge selction of rear sets in stock:

MS 1098/848 "Corse" Rear Sets: Race
MS 1098/848 "Corse" Rear Sets: Street

We offer the Acculign with or without brake levers:

ACCULIGN Rearsets with Brake and Shift Levers: 1098/848
ACCULIGN Rearsets with Shift Lever: 1098/848

CRG rearsets: 848/1098/1198

MW 1098/848 Billet Rear Sets

S&P Billet Rearsets: 1198-848

SPEEDYMOTO Rearsets 848/1198

WOODCRAFT CFM REARSETS 848-1098 COMPLETE

I've tried most of these rear sets on our project 1098 . PM me if you have any questions.

* Register on the motowheels website for passwords to access discounts on all non sale items. The sign-up is under the log-in box in the Products section.

-M

·
Premium Member
2004 998S FE, 2000 748B, 1986 750 F1
2,408 Posts
I know my bike is not a 848/1098 but I have the acculigns on it. The installation instructions can actually be found on www.acculign.com if they don't come with the rearsets. The only disappointing thing was that the peg ends are not plugged and from the pictures I thought they were, but apparently they have changed the design. Husband got highly indignant about it all and started muttering dark words like "in my day they wouldn't have let me on the track with these things". He will get around to machining up some ends for me in due course, but in the meantime we had a lovely bottle of French champagne, so he used the cork for the plug.

In actuality I would prefer rearsets with folding pegs, but the acculigns do have wonderful adjustability, look gorgeous and I am very happy with them so far.

·
Ducati Ambassador to the Vatican
299 Posts
Acculign all the way.

Perfect fit and finish, good range of adjustability and very important, they crash very well. After a bad high side I only had to replace the collet and the peg. The mounting tabs on the frame where perfectly straight.

·
Registered
5,143 Posts
Depends what you want, as long as the position is good and grip OK then they're all good. I bought Acculign because they work at least as well as the others but mainly because I like the look and the 'technicalness' of them they really are a work of art, hugely adjustable but once fitted I've never adjusted them again so any brand that could get the position would work just as well.

So my vote is for Acculign but if I was doing loads of trackdays or racing then I'd use something cheaper, unless a sponsor was paying...

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
I love my Arrows, but since your doing track days if you were to crash and break one, most likly no one else will have a extra peg to share.....find the most common ones out there (Acculign, Woodcraft, etc.) this way if you do go down (which I hope you don't) you'll be able to possibly find replacements so your day wouldnt be over......otherwise always bring the stockers along!

·
Registered
76 Posts
I know my bike is not a 848/1098 but I have the acculigns on it. The installation instructions can actually be found on www.acculign.com if they don't come with the rearsets. The only disappointing thing was that the peg ends are not plugged and from the pictures I thought they were, but apparently they have changed the design. Husband got highly indignant about it all and started muttering dark words like "in my day they wouldn't have let me on the track with these things". He will get around to machining up some ends for me in due course, but in the meantime we had a lovely bottle of French champagne, so he used the cork for the plug.

In actuality I would prefer rearsets with folding pegs, but the acculigns do have wonderful adjustability, look gorgeous and I am very happy with them so far.
If you have a direct link to the installation instructions on their website, I would appreciate it. Because, I looked around and the only instructions I could find was on how to adjust the rear sets....which is what I got with them. It didn't go into the need to dismantle the stock setup to get the pivot bolts to install the Acculign levers. Unless I missed it in the instructions as it's a bit hard to read. The instructions are one big paragraph which should have been broken up to smaller ones.

·
Banned
11,256 Posts
I couldn't find a rear set that moved the pegs up high enough for my "I guess" shorter legs, even though I'm 5 ft 10. I like to keep my legs in the pockets of the tank when on the track, it helps to lean off better. I tried everything out their from acculign to the ridiculously expensive stuff, which is no better then stock.

I actually ended up going with the www.slingshotracing.net sets for the 748/916 series and milling out the holes a bit. Click here to see I use these rear sets on both my 749R race machine and 848 (yes they are two different rear sets).

They are a very nice set, I've crashed my bike in some pretty interesting ways and the peg screws are designed to break off, so the moment the bike hits the ground the peg is gone. Fold up's arn't adjustable (which is the only problem) and most of the other rear sets are designed to withstand WW3, they're way too over-built. You need something that is cheap to replace and had some major adjustability. These sets are knock-off's to the Ducati corse sets from the 996 and they work fantastic, I haven't found better.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was interested in the Speedymoto rear sets until I saw some very disappointed posts about the install difficulties and general fit and finish on the other Duc forum.

I narrowed my choices down to the Lighttech, Satos, and Acculigns. I haven't seen many people with the Lighttech, so those pretty much dropped off my list. It was a toss up between the Satos and the Acculigns. Being that I saw quite a few people who were pleased with the Acculigns and the fact they are US made (so parts are probably easier to source), I opted for the Acculigns. The one thing about the Acculigns was that there wasn't any install instructions...only instructions on the various adjustment features. I was a bit surprised that I had to recycle the shift and brake lever pivot bolt from the stock rear set and brake lever setup. So far I've been pretty pleased with the rear sets. I'm still fine tuning the the rear sets but have the gross settings where I want them. My knees are now up on the sides of the tank where I want them.

Wow, I got PLENTY of feedback...the magic of forums! Thanks to all...I think I have a much better idea now. I agree with you man, since I was also looking at the Lighttechs...never heard of the Acculigns, but they do look awesome.
Thanks again and I'll post some pics when I have order and installed my [email protected]
Cheers

·
Registered
6 Posts
Wow, I got PLENTY of feedback...the magic of forums! Thanks to all...I think I have a much better idea now. I agree with you man, since I was also looking at the Lighttechs...never heard of the Acculigns, but they do look awesome.
Thanks again and I'll post some pics when I have order and installed my [email protected]
Cheers
Acculigns, Woodcraft, Sato...you can't go wrong with any of these. It's really personal preference with these high quality sets. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Hello all,
So I already had my first track day and of course, I am HOOKED now.
I need advise to see what is the best set of rear sets I can get for my 1198.
Any comments much appreciated! I have seen Ducati Performance, Vortex, Speedymoto, etc and prices seem to be all over the place, and I am not sure why?
Cheers!
What is motivating you to want to buy rear-sets after your first track day? The advantages are adjustability for the perfect foot position, and better crash-worthiness, but IMO there are things I'd buy first, like aftermarket track bodywork and maybe a dyno tune to fix the horrible stock throttle response (assuming you don't already have these).

·
Premium Member
2004 998S FE, 2000 748B, 1986 750 F1
2,408 Posts
If you have a direct link to the installation instructions on their website, I would appreciate it. Because, I looked around and the only instructions I could find was on how to adjust the rear sets....which is what I got with them. It didn't go into the need to dismantle the stock setup to get the pivot bolts to install the Acculign levers. Unless I missed it in the instructions as it's a bit hard to read. The instructions are one big paragraph which should have been broken up to smaller ones.
That is the one! Yes, it doesn't deal with installation of levers at all. I run reverse shift with lever directly off the spline to the gearbox, so that wasn't a problem for me. The brake side was a bit trickier. Just take care when replacing the pivot bolt with the o rings and don't lose the washer.

Make sure that there is sufficient play with the lever to allow it to release, otherwise the rear brake will lock - I have seen the results of this on a friends bike - wasn't good. My bike was up on the rear stand, so it was easy to just spin the wheel, then press on the lever to test it and see if it released properly again. The circlip thingy can be a bit of a bugger, but other than that it was all good.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Woodcrafts for me. Price is great. I have been very impressed with woodcrafts sliders (for my R1) and for their rearsets.

I foolishly bought a set of rearsets for $200 from Ebay and they are complete garbage. I actually scraped them at full lean on my local mountain. They are way too long. I had them at the highest setting too.

·
Registered
93 Posts
His handle on Ebay is "gas_cap_dude". They sell for $220 shipped. For most street riders I think they would be ok. But I prefer a larger gnurl tooth. The pegs are a little long for my taste. I have already scraped one side, but part of the problem was my ride height was a little low. Now that Ive gone to a 190 rear tire (848) Ground clearance isnt an issue.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts