Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my 1098 engined 996 has blow piston rings etc.... I had Wossner pistons which only have two rings. Looking at the cylinder it looks like the pistons were moving as there are darkened marks on the wall where the piston valve cut outs are indicating they were rocking slightly. So I will take this chance to do a TomTom 1198 crank, rods and cams conversion making it a 1150. But what pistons should I use?? I think Tomtom likes pistals are they the besy bet??? For some reaosn my mechanic doesn't like them ( he goes way back though so not sure if they have improved from when he raced air cooled twins)

On another matter I sometime get ignition stutter, ht coils earth all look good. Are theere any known issues with the ECU? O rmmay it be realted to the caked oiled up sparks :)

·
Premium Member
5,151 Posts
Woosner are good. Pistal are good. Vennolia are good. Even stock are good but expensive. They're all forged. It's a choice I wouldn't loose sleep over. If you've been using it as a track bike then no matter what you use they're still going to be flogged and wear out eventually and at a far greater rate then a roadie.
How do you know it's ignition related and not fuel? At what RPM/load.

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's on full load at any rpm and gear. I fist though tit was the quick shifter but disconnected it all ok, Coil ???

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
I've never paid a mechanic to do any work for me but I did pay one of my mentors by accepting verbal abuse and shit clean up jobs. However, I think it might not be a good idea to deliver a piston brand to your mechanic that he doesn't like unless you are tight. It's kind of a negative statement and then there's the, "Well, I tried to talk you out of them."

·
Senior Narcissista
5,737 Posts
Pistals for me, even super quality.
Re Wossner, problem is the information they provide, they claim to have 1098 drop-in pistons, but theyre not, theyre 999R 05-06 pistons. They happen to be for a ducati and has 104 bore along with 42mm valves, but if you fit those to a 1098 you will find zero squish, ie the deck height isnt right for 1098. I found this out on a dyno job where I said, pistons are touching the head, no more running until you make sure, and indeed they were touching.
Furthermore, just like oem pistons, the wossner piston crown also lacks support beams, crap 2c!

·
Premium Member
5,151 Posts
Pistals any day, even super quality.
Re Wossner, problem is the information they provide, the claim to have 1098 drop-in pistons, but theyre not, theyre 999R 05-06 pistons. They happen to be for a ducati and has 104 bore along with 42mm valves, but if you fit those to a 1098 you will find zero squish, ie the deck height isnt right for 1098. I found this out on a dyno job where I said, pistons are touching the head, no more running until you make sure, and indeed they were touching.
Furthermore, just like oem pistons, the wossner piston crown also lacks support beams, crap 2c!
i put a set in a 1098 with no problems.

·
Registered
‘05 749R, ‘89 851/926, 749R/999RS project
431 Posts
I can vouch for the toughness of Omega, they are the Chuck Norris of pistons! Here is one I prepared earlier:

The only reason the bike stopped, even with bent valves (that RS rocker gear is strong!), was the spark plug battered into submission, so I'm gonna call it an electrical fault.

Here's a good pic of the Omega support beams that TomTom was talking about:

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well the engine is a goner, cracked pistons, crankcase, ball bearings everywhere.. not worth fixing... anyone have a 1198 engine?

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,151 Posts
That was probably your engine stutter.
Pics of damaged. What let go? Don't laugh but I've had cases welded before with great results. But that is dependant on where the break is.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Did you diagnose the cause for this? Was it just a faulty piston or did the big end fail and allow the piston to float? What was your replacement piston?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts