Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the boards here and was hoping to get a little input from some fellow monster owners. After selling my old bike my heart is now set on a monster. With $5000 in hand I'm starting to seriously look at a few bikes in the area.

With so many different generations and engines available what is a good platform for the money I have? I don't need a rocket (nor could I afford one) but am looking for something that could get out of its own way. Came from a sportbike and I already know nothing will size up power wise really. From what I read so far service records go a long way in determining a overall worth.

Any generations or particular motors to stay away from? Any favorites? Any and all input is appreciated

·
Registered
70 Posts
there is a monster 750 with a 944 big bore kit on ebay for $4900. kind of makes me nervous reliability wise though. or a or a monster 620 dark needs tlc for $2000. That one is in alabama. They are out there.

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
I am thinking that these days you could get into an S2R 800 for that kind of money. Personally I would look for an older 900i.e. (2002 maybe?). Need to pay attention to the specs, because from year to year there were differences in stuff like the suspension components (non-adjustable vs adjustable forks).

Not sure if you can find a 1000 for that kind of money (i.e, the ones with the DS motor, but before the S2R styling - e.g., 2004). The suspension on the non-S version was kinda crappy, but the motor is so much better than the 900 that it is a good compromise.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input guys... I actually found a 01 s4 in the classifieds section that is pretty close to me. Hopefully that will pan out

·
Registered
29 Posts
I picked up my '06 S2R1000 on Ebay last month for $5475.00 and I was the only bidder.:yeah:
I had to drive to Kansas for it (500 miles each way).

·
Registered
328 Posts
I payed a little over 5k for my 01 m900sie a year ago and am very happy with it. Good luck with the s4 should be a great bike. I love my bike but after riding for a year I want more power, eventually a streetfighter will be mine, but until then ima love my monster :p

If the S4 doesn't pan out I'd recommend getting at least a 900 if you can't find a newer 1k in your price range.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts