Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright guys, I just did a great mod for anyone that has a bike that naturally runs hot, or if you just live in a hot area that makes the engine temps high.
This mod is quite simple and allows you to manually switch your radiator fans on/off via a toggle switch (fans will still work normally once the bike reaches the temp sensors setting as well)

*** MAKE SURE TO TEST THE SWITCH PRIOR TO WRAPPING THE WIRES OR DETERMINING YOUR MOUNT LOCATION ***

1; Locate your fan relay

2; Next is trial and error unless your relay has a diagram.. Locate the wire that is for your fan power, next you will have to try grounding it if grounding it does not turn the fans off try supplying power to it... in my case power made the fans turn on..

3; Clean up the wiring and decide where you will route your toggle switch...

4A; If your fan wire needs to be grounded to work you will simply quick splice into the fan fire, and run it to the ground portion on your toggle switch, then run another ground to the power side of the toggle switch. (this will make a breakable path for the ground line so that when you flip the switch the ground is sent to the relay thus turning your fans on).

5B; If your switch is operated by having power supplied to the fan line you will wire the wire that is spliced to your fan line to the (power) terminal on the toggle switch, then you will wire a power line from the accessory terminal on your toggle switch to any 12v power source (high/low beams, battery etc)

6; Once you have wired everything give the switch one last test then proceed to wrap the needed wires in electrical tape, mount up the switch and voila, now you can manually turn on the fans at lower temps to reduce engine temps in heavy traffic or just general hot weather.

NOTE: the switch will work whether the ignition is ON OR OFF, I mounted mine in a discrete location so that nobody flips the switch and I risk having my battery killed.. the benefit of this switch is that you can lower engine temps in heavy traffic/hot weather, or you can just leave your fans on a bit after coming to a stop to bring the engine temp down!

Best of luck, if you guys have any questions feel free to ask, 95% of bikes can be wired with the above instructions.

This was done on a 2011 848 evo so if you own the same bike or your Ducati has the same harness you can follow my above steps exactly.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,151 Posts
Good job but I don't believe there's such as a bike that runs "naturally hot". Gauge/thermistor calibration, pump (rare) or thermostat issues is what contributes to true running hot. How does a 748 to 1198 use the same cooling capacity and neither show any issues? I know 110c on a gauge scares the shit out of most people but it should be a non issue. At best it's a security blanket but if it helps you think it's safe there nothing wrong with that.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Alright guys, I just did a great mod for anyone that has a bike that naturally runs hot, or if you just live in a hot area that makes the engine temps high.
This mod is quite simple and allows you to manually switch your radiator fans on/off via a toggle switch (fans will still work normally once the bike reaches the temp sensors setting as well.
OP: looks like you've got a bit of corrosion to clean up on those connections in your photos! Nice write up.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, the relay got water in it somehow and blew the relay causing my fans to be stuck on and kill my battery, its actually how I got the idea to do this LOL

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good job but I don't believe there's such as a bike that runs "naturally hot". Gauge/thermistor calibration, pump (rare) or thermostat issues is what contributes to true running hot. How does a 748 to 1198 use the same cooling capacity and neither show any issues? I know 110c on a gauge scares the shit out of most people but it should be a non issue. At best it's a security blanket but if it helps you think it's safe there nothing wrong with that.
xracer, yes when I say naturally hot I don't mean overheating... I just mean hot in general, I live in Florida with ambient temps of about 90+ daily so when I stop at lights it isn't uncommon for the bike to be above 210 steady... which is quite hot on the legs/ass even with gear.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
If I'm not mistaken oil should get hot enough to burn off the water. So an oil that doesn't get hot enough won't have as good a lubrication properties as one that gets up to the proper temp.

·
Registered
7,104 Posts
Those tiny fans turning on a little quicker in hot ambient temperatures is not going to affect the oil getting hot enough to eliminate condensation. The other end of that spectrum, oil getting too hot, is a more likely scenario. Personally I think it's a good idea.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I like this idea for our '11 multi. It runs hotter (by alot) than our '14. I went through the micro fische and noticed Ducati changed the cooling circuits in '13, they did this for a reason. The '14 runs cool, fans kick on correctly at about 222F and immediately temps drop. The '11 which I ride mostly, fan comes on at same temp, but coolant keeps climbing (This is when the bike is static in my garage, if left running it will overheat 240f+.

Some of the differences to the cooling circuit are the actual placement of the sending unit. Like I said, they did this for a reason i am sure. Here in Central So Cal, even though I am not far from the coast, its been a hot summer and I travel to the Sierras where it is always warm this time of year.

Thanks for this post, I am going to try this. (I know this is not the Multi forum, but this is good general information) BTW, I have 3 close friends with 10-12 multis, they experience the same overheating when sitting in traffic. Yes, these early bikes had porous heads, this bike is tight there.

Mark

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
i had the problemof my 998 running real hot here, evne in cooler night time temps while moving the motor would run at 190 and shoot up to 210 instantly when at a light. having the fan on all the time really doesnt solve the problem. the problem really is the radiator. it is small and only passes half the coolant that normal radiator does. the coolant runs through the top half and back through the bottom half. most bikes have a larger radiator and water passes through the whole radiator and out the other side. i customized a stock radiator with 2 fans, cooled quicker but still got hot due the radiator being limited. so i decided to get a larger radiator. got a gsxr 1000 radiator and modified it to fit a 998. the radiator was too wide on the top so i cut off about 1" off each side the top of the side tanks and welded flat plates on it and new hose connections to suit the bike. had too trim the inside on the fairing a little to clear the radiator. now it runs at 165 to 180 in the hot summer while moving. still get hot when in prolonged traffic but cools quicker and doesnt boil over anymore.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If I'm not mistaken oil should get hot enough to burn off the water. So an oil that doesn't get hot enough won't have as good a lubrication properties as one that gets up to the proper temp.
I could see where super low temps would be the case, but this is a mod more for people who live in hot areas, if you are somewhere cold where the bike naturally doesn't pass 200 you should be fine without this mod... I can have the fans on full blast with 93F ambient temps and it still stays just at the 180 area... however if I turn the fans off it will be at 215+ within 30 seconds at a light lol.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i had the problemof my 998 running real hot here, evne in cooler night time temps while moving the motor would run at 190 and shoot up to 210 instantly when at a light. having the fan on all the time really doesnt solve the problem. the problem really is the radiator. it is small and only passes half the coolant that normal radiator does. the coolant runs through the top half and back through the bottom half. most bikes have a larger radiator and water passes through the whole radiator and out the other side. i customized a stock radiator with 2 fans, cooled quicker but still got hot due the radiator being limited. so i decided to get a larger radiator. got a gsxr 1000 radiator and modified it to fit a 998. the radiator was too wide on the top so i cut off about 1" off each side the top of the side tanks and welded flat plates on it and new hose connections to suit the bike. had too trim the inside on the fairing a little to clear the radiator. now it runs at 165 to 180 in the hot summer while moving. still get hot when in prolonged traffic but cools quicker and doesnt boil over anymore.
I think it would especially be helpful, yes the fans on these bikes kick on very late, and I can say after doing this mod my experience with ducatis has never been better, no more burning inner thighs etc, yet the engine will still stay hot enough to be at a good operating temp, and best of all you can control when you want to turn them on or off, so its not like they're stuck on :), if you need any help just shoot me a message i'd be glad to help in anyway I can.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Looks like a solid fix, maybe the 998 fans just weren't good enough.. but I can say for a fact on my specific bike I am seeing temps 25-35 degrees lower when at lights.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Are you guys concerned about the engine or the feeling of the heat?

You can run these bikes can run all day, street or track, at 210 to 220.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Namor, my mod was specifically done because I do not like feeling the extreme heat light to light in Florida weather, the mod was not done due to concern of overheating the engine. Just wanted to make my commuting a little bit more enjoyable.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Looks like a solid fix, maybe the 998 fans just weren't good enough.. but I can say for a fact on my specific bike I am seeing temps 25-35 degrees lower when at lights.
the 998 fans suck, they are tiny dont move much air either, i originally replaced them as you see in one photo with twin 748 fans and hooked both up so they come on at the same time instead of staggard like previous.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts

i ran mine at the track one day last year, it was hitting 210 on the track, brought it into the pits parked it, heard it start to boil over, there went the expansion tank.

with the larger radiator, i am running 160 to 185 degrees when moving, will still hit 210 after a whileat a light but it cools down quickly.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Hmm. Fortunately I have not had the boil over issue. Perhaps it's my ratio of water to WaterWetter, or it may just be a matter of time.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts