Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

81 - 90 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
I want to start a thread to give some of the “ other “ guitarists some credit. Guitarists in bands that don’t get the credit I think they are due, that aren’t well known even though their band might be.
The guys that create the “ hook “ that makes you listen to a certain song when it comes on the radio.
I thought of a few bands like that, where I love the guitar work, but didn’t even know the guitarists
name many times. Only rules for this is the band must have made an album, and no solo artists, just band musicians. I‘d like to call attention to some of these guys that aren’t big names, even though everybody might recognize their work. Credit where credit is due, or overdue.
My nominees are Ian Bairnson, Paul Leary, and Rich Williams. Anyone recognize their names ?
They are all in bands that put out at least 5 albums, and I think their guitar work would be recognized by many rock fans, yet most people don’t know them.
I see a lot of guitarists mentioned and they all have one thing in common besides the panatonic scale. They are loud! As a bass player I look for more challenging bass lines than what Rock and Roll offers. I'm not putting down those guys because they are great. But I've been exposed to other genres of music and found exception guitarist in Jazz, Bluegrass yeah Classical. There are some Classical guitarist that make you just want to say...How do they learn this stuff? Yeah, I know I'm starting something but if you count success as in albums sold and how many of other peoples' album you played on then you would have to look at Glen Campbell.

·
Registered
387 Posts

·
Registered
'02 ST4S
1,389 Posts
Jimmie Johnson of the Muscle Shoals sound (backing band "the Swampers). You would be hard pressed to have not heard him play on countless recordings of all genres of music. Some of which you may have liked or loved!!!

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
All types of music welcome ! All types of guitars too. I remember when I was young, my family was southern so I was exposed to a lot of Country. I lived near Detroit, so Motown
on the radio. I didn’t appreciate back then how good some of those musicians were.
Something about the sequin covered cowboy shirts I guess.

·
Super Moderator
26,631 Posts
Pedal Steel does my head in! That was great and brings back fond memories for me, too.

My Mom's side of the family was very musical and as a wee lad I was exposed to family jams. The Waterman Family was a band and would play local dances at the Grange, Fairs, whatever. They had guitars, basses, fiddles, pedal steels, amps, drums, piano, etc, all set up in the living room full time and everybody sang. My Grandpa Waterman was an award winning fiddle player until he cut all the fingers off his left hand. I still have his fiddle and my Moms really old Mahogany Ukulele.

·
Registered
4,893 Posts
R.I.P. Peter Green. Passed away yesterday at the age of 73. One of the top 4 or 5 guitarists in England in '67-'68, relatively unknown on this side of the pond.

A song he wrote for the first Fleetwood Mac album in '68.

·
Registered
4,893 Posts
And forgive me if I missed him in the thread somewhere...but I don't recall seeing Buckethead on the list.

He flew under my radar until 10 or 12 years ago...only heard of him because of a thread like this on another forum.

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
This is part of the reason I started this thread. I plan on checking some of these musicians out.
My dads family were all guitar players ( everyone but him) . I used to love when they came to town from all over the country for a family reunion. They all brought their guitar and would sit around all night playing and drinking. There would be about a dozen guys on guitar, brothers, sons, nephews. They all played well, they all knew the same old songs. One would start a few notes, and the rest all joined in. Too bad I inherited no talent.

81 - 90 of 90 Posts