Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

61 - 80 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
For the type of music I mainly listen to and play, I never felt Tony MacAlpine and Jim Matheos got the recognition they deserved. Tony was in several magazines in the mid-80s (I actually met him at a BC Rich clinic in Oct '87), but it always seemed like they used Tony as filler in the magazines when they didn't have anything else to put on the pages. Tony also GREATLY influenced the changes in George Lynch's playing style between Dokken and Lynch Mob. As a tidbit, Nili Brosh is pretty good guitarist and played with Tony's band for a while. She's actually pretty good, too.

Matheos almost never got any recognition for his playing or music. He is not only a great guitarist, but he can compose some really great music (the albums Perfect Symmetry and Parallels are excellent - if you like prog metal).

A fairly new guitarist I have been following is Travis Montgomery. Unfortunately (for me), he is best known for his death-metal bands which I just can't get into, but he played on both of Meytal Cohen's albums and plays in the style I prefer. He's also been in the Jeff Loomis Band in 2013 - if you have any idea who Loomis is.

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
Roy Buchanan. Even the most ardent guitar people often don't know him, although he influenced a lot of players, maybe even some on these lists.

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
I thought of several this morning who should be on this list... let's start with Neil Schon.
I went to see Allan Holdsworth (RIP) at a tiny club called New Georges when I was 16 or so. Begged my mom to take me and she was cool enough to buy me an Anchor Steam which none of the coked out barmaids objected to me drinking openly in the all ages club. Sat right in front of the stage while Allan did his thing. I had all the albums. Epic. Metal Fatigue had dropped around that time. Speaking of coked out, after the show I'm taking a piss next to Neil Schon. I recognize him (it was 1986?, height of fame) and remark on how "fucking awesome" Holdsworth was.

No joke, he babbles out "too many notes man, too many notes." Uh, ok, that's his style, but like, whatever man. I disliked the Journey style of pop music then and now, although musicianship was there. My disdain for the Dead and Jerry Garcia was similar, but I ended up being an Eskimo bro to that crazy dude. Growing up in Marin County was...different. Telling the chick Jerry died because I heard it first thing in the morning at the hippie health food store (Good Earth) was...ill advised.

Schon is about 5' tall in heeled boots and fucked over his wife in an acrimonious cheating/divorce scenario that hit the papers. To each their own. They lucked out when Glee used all their music and restarted the money train.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
It doesn't matter how "metal" guitarists go about creating their sounds, what matters is if one likes it. Playing low gain clean tones is "easier" than trying to handle the gain structure that many (most) metal guitarists use. Every slight incorrect touch of the strings (whether they be touching the frets or not) can create very loud and obvious incorrect harmonics that stand out horribly. It's like handing a laser gun or something. If handled correctly it can produce crazy amounts of upper harmonics, which requires a well practiced technique to master. It's managing and manipulating those harmonics that becomes the hard part. Anyone can windmill a power chord and call it ~rock~. Having masterful command over the crazy amount of upper harmonics that different types of distortion creators produce takes years of dedication, devotion, and disciplined focus.

Anyone can do a wheelie on an R1. But few can really master all of it's power and capability, even in it's just-off-the-showroom-floor-state. Replace "wheelie on an R1" with "power chord with a distorted guitar" ... and replace "master all of it's power and capability" with, well, "master all of it's power and capability" (referring to "metal" guitar tones).

This whole issue was somewhat of a career field for me. I designed and built custom audio processors for touring/recording professional guitar, bass, and vintage Hammond players. About ten years or so. And of course, like many of us I played in a number of bands over the years (keyboards, guitars, bass).

:)

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
@Rex Coil 7 . That was really a polite, thoughtful and well written rebuttal to my post. My intention was only to amuse this sophisticated audience with the humorous (to me) video. Hell, some of my best friends are metal heads.🤙
I hope I didn't offend. I was just sortof inspired by your comment and it made me remember a few things that I ended up sharing here. It felt good to dust off those particular cobwebs. It was humorous (the video)! But as I said my response to it was less of a rebuttal and more of a "hey!, I just recalled some stuff from my band days!" thing.

:)

·
Registered
387 Posts
I never really had an issue you with heavy metal guitarists.Virtuoso vocalizations are rare in the genre though.

Did you ever think about applying your expertise towards developing a device that could improve the listenability of the typical shrieking heavy metal vocalist?o_O

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
I never really had an issue you with heavy metal guitarists.Virtuoso vocalizations are rare in the genre though.....

.... Did you ever think about applying your expertise towards developing a device that could improve the listenability of the typical shrieking heavy metal vocalist?o_O

.... gotchya covered chief ...

·
Registered
364 Posts
.... gotchya covered chief ...
Hahah. I like a lot of different music, some of it is hard rock music, often live, but I also want to keep my hearing. I've come to like Etymotic ER20's, for the price at least. Sound great without making everything sound like mud. I designed speakers for a lot of my life, so protecting my hearing was job 1.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Paco passed in 2014 @66 from a heart attack. His 197x's collaboration with Al Dimeola was responsible for exposing him to those unwashed (me for instance) in flamenco worship. I don't think either he or even Dimeola ever became a household name but they have always been respected amongst us string pluckers. And, he and Paco played well together...don't ya think? This video has had close to 7.5 million views but I feel certain some of us may yet to have been exposed to Paco. I doubt any of you will object to my reminding you of him here

61 - 80 of 90 Posts