Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to start a thread to give some of the “ other “ guitarists some credit. Guitarists in bands that don’t get the credit I think they are due, that aren’t well known even though their band might be.
The guys that create the “ hook “ that makes you listen to a certain song when it comes on the radio.
I thought of a few bands like that, where I love the guitar work, but didn’t even know the guitarists
name many times. Only rules for this is the band must have made an album, and no solo artists, just band musicians. I‘d like to call attention to some of these guys that aren’t big names, even though everybody might recognize their work. Credit where credit is due, or overdue.
My nominees are Ian Bairnson, Paul Leary, and Rich Williams. Anyone recognize their names ?
They are all in bands that put out at least 5 albums, and I think their guitar work would be recognized by many rock fans, yet most people don’t know them.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
** Tommy Bolin.
** Frank Marino.
** Pat Travers.
** Rich Williams (Kansas).
** Barry Goudreau (slide guitar in the original line up of the band Boston, first three albums).
** Ulrich "Uli" Jon Roth (early to mid 1970s Scorpions, the best era of their works) .... "In Roth's early days with Scorpions, his soloing style was based primarily on the blues scale, occasionally incorporating notes from other modes. However, by the time the band recorded the Virgin Killer album, he began incorporating more advanced compositional elements from European classical music, such as pedal tone sequences and intricate arpeggios. Beginning with Electric Sun, the classical influence began to dominate his playing style, notable in songs like "Cast Away Your Chains" and "Still So Many Lives Away". His style eventually became a fusion of blues-based rock with European classical sensibilities. Roth employs major and minor pentatonic, the blues scale, phrygian, harmonic minor, diminished, and the whole tone scale, notably in his famous "Sails Of Charon" solo."

There's a start .... :)

·
Super Moderator
26,631 Posts
Rex, with the exception of Rich Williams every one of those guitarists you listed are well known.

I did not know who Ian Bairnson is.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Rex, with the exception of Rich Williams every one of those guitarists you listed are well known.

I did not know who Ian Bairnson is.
"well known"? I highly doubt if you ask the average Joe who Pat Travers or Tommy Bolin is they'll have any clue at all, they'll look at you like you're speaking Martian. Uli? Really? Well known? By the average person? Hardly! Same with Barry, and Frank.

"Who's Frank Marino?, one hint .. he was with a band called Mahogany Rush before he went solo" .... "Wow, yea, I know who Rush is, that's a bad ass band ... right on man!" ... (there's your average music consumer).

"Who's Barry Goudreau? I'll give you one hint, he was in the band Boston" ..... "Who's Boston?"

(maybe not completely accurate depictions of the average listener, but I made my point).

This thread is going to dissolve into what the definition of "well known" is.

·
Super Moderator
26,631 Posts
I can ask my wife who Led Zeppelin is and she would have no idea. She may offer that naming your child "Led" seems rather strange, though. "By the way, which one's Led?" The O.P. mentioned Rock Fans and I think thats a good barometer. Musicians should be DQ'd from these threads because in most cases we can tell you where they recorded, who the producer was, what label, etc.

Barry Goudreau fits the bill as Boston was pretty well known but most people wouldn't be able to name any members. Uli Roth was in pre-popularity Scorpions so he doesn't fit.
Rich Williams...Everybody knows "Dust In The Wind" but probably can't name a member.

·
Super Moderator
26,631 Posts
Brad Whitford. 2nd guitar and player of all the really tasty guitar parts for Aerosmith, but he's definitely not Joe Perry. He's not the Rockstar type.

·
Premium Member
5,337 Posts
Elliott Randall... anyone heard of him?

If your age is anywhere around mine (I'll be 60 in 11 days), I can guarantee that you've heard him play, as he performed what is easily one of the most identifiable solo's of the last century...

·
Still needs a life.
12,573 Posts
By "guitarists" do you mean rock guitarists? There are probably many jazz and classical guitaritsts that are unknown to those who do not follow those musical genres.

·
Registered
7,387 Posts
Elliott Randall... anyone heard of him?

If your age is anywhere around mine (I'll be 60 in 11 days), I can guarantee that you've heard him play, as he performed what is easily one of the most identifiable solo's of the last century...
google tells me his solo on Reelin in the Years was Page’s favourite but I can’t say I remember him or Steely Dan lol

·
Premium Member
5,337 Posts
Oh yes, it's an entire composition. It's an amazing solo.
As a long time Steely Dan fanatic, I feel compelled to share this with you guys, because that solo, is SOOOOOO much more amazing than you may think.

“They were having trouble finding the right ‘flavor’ solo for ‘Reelin,’ and asked me to give it a go,” Randall told Guitar World several years ago. “Most of the song was already complete, so I had the good fortune of having a very clear picture of what the solo was laying on top of. They played it for me without much dialog about what I should play.

"It just wasn’t necessary because we did it in one take and nothing was written. Jeff Baxter played the harmony parts, but my entire lead—intro/answers/solo/end solo—was one continuous take played through a very simple setup: my old Strat, the same one I’ve been using since 1965, plugged directly into an Ampeg SVT amp and miked with a single AKG 414. The whole solo just came to me, and I feel very fortunate to have been given the opportunity to play it.”

Let that sink in for a minute... his contribution to that song was done in a single take, without any prep whatsoever. The man came into the studio, sat down, and tore a fucking hole in the roof. Absolutely, 100%, "you've got to be fucking kidding me" incredible.

·
Registered
4,893 Posts
Most Americans don't know who Peter Green is....their loss.
Or Jeremy Spencer, or Danny Kirwan, or Bob Welch, or Rickey Medlocke, or Ronnie Montrose, or Tommy Tedesco, or Bill Pitman, or or or...

·
Registered
4,893 Posts
And Skunk Baxter is another guy that slides under the radar...

Reactions: ProphetPVD

·
Registered
'02 ST4S
1,389 Posts
Tommy Tedesco was on my list as well(the Wrecking Crew) ,you would have had to been audio/video hermit to not have heard his guitar in songs and TV themes in the 60-70-80's
I would add the four guitarists that spent time as the "Funk Brothers" from the Motown sound:
Joe Messina
Eddie Willis
Robert White
Wah Wah Watson
Now we're showing some age...

·
Registered
364 Posts
More music discussion, yes! In a thread likely to be filled with guys from the 70's again, here comes Zaph with new rock. This will make some of you barf.

New rock guitarists...
Tom Morello - Rage Against the Machine
Mark Tremonti - Alter Bridge and Creed
Wes Borland - Limp Bizkit guitarist
Jack White - White Stripes
And the winner, Ernie C - Body Count w/ Ice T guitarist. This guy freaking rocks and nobody's ever heard of him. Ummm - video not safe for work, hahah. Everyone thinks Ice T is a rapper... He's been a hard rocker for 2 decades, and still going hard in his old age.

If I had to pick pick old(er) guys, and trust me, I am one myself...
Neil Giraldo - Pat Benatar
Steve Stevens - Billy Idol guitarist
Rick Nielsen - Cheap Trick guitarist
Mick Jones - Clash guitarist
And finally... yes I will say it... Alex Lifeson. Never got enough credit in Rush. Was always the 3rd member. Geddy Lee, worlds best bass player, Neil Peart worlds best drummer, and they also have a guitar player. Screw that. Alex is 1/3 of the reason Rush was awesome, maybe more than 1/3. When the band was out to dinner, he's the guy nobody wanted an autograph from. But he's still one of the best. Played for a lot of people outside of Rush if you didn't realize it. Never got enough credit.

Ever hear Alex' solo album? It was awesome.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts