Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I took off my rear wheel and probably need to grease up the axle/pin to put it back on.

Manual states to use "Grease B - Shell Retinac HDX2 or Shell Gadius S2 V220 AD 2".

I am wondering what you guys use, I can find the Gadius on amazon but it would take a while to come in the mail. Are there any equal substitutions?

·
Premium Member
5,679 Posts
I use what I have on hand. The point is to prevent corrosion and to achieve proper torque. I normally use the same waterproof wheel bearing grease I use for the hub needle bearing, swing arm bearings and steering head bearings. I have also used white lithium grease, but the wheel bearing grease is my go to. May or may not be the exact right stuff, but is has served me well. Wheel or hub side nuts never loosen and I can zip them right off with a air impact gun.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I use what I have on hand. The point is to prevent corrosion and to achieve proper torque. I normally use the same waterproof wheel bearing grease I use for the hub needle bearing, swing arm bearings and steering head bearings. I have also used white lithium grease, but the wheel bearing grease is my go to. May or may not be the exact right stuff, but is has served me well. Wheel or hub side nuts never loosen and I can zip them right off with a air impact gun.
What brand of wheel bearing grease do you use?

Belray seems to be popular, but then I also hear of people using molybdenum grease and I am wondering if there's a huge difference. I might be over-reacting, but I just don't want to hurt the axle at all and it does get exposed to high-speed and temp.

·
Premium Member
5,679 Posts
What brand of wheel bearing grease do you use?

Belray seems to be popular, but then I also hear of people using molybdenum grease and I am wondering if there's a huge difference. I might be over-reacting, but I just don't want to hurt the axle at all and it does get exposed to high-speed and temp.
Had to go look. I've had this tub of grease for a long time. It's Mobil 1 synthetic wheel bearing grease. Maybe not specifically "waterproof" like you might use for boat trailer wheel hubs, but it is high temp high pressure. As I said, I also use it when I service the hub's wheel-side needle bearing. I did it several years ago when I put the bike together and again just this past winter. Looked perfect.

Reactions: Helishmeli

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Had to go look. I've had this tub of grease for a long time. It's Mobil 1 synthetic wheel bearing grease. Maybe not specifically "waterproof" like you might use for boat trailer wheel hubs, but it is high temp high pressure. As I said, I also use it when I service the hub's wheel-side needle bearing. I did it several years ago when I put the bike together and again just this past winter. Looked perfect.
Thank you for checking, I appreciate it. This info was immensely helpful!

·
Registered
7,427 Posts
Brand name “ Boat Trailer “ waterproof grease. Coincidentally I use it on my trailers and tractors too.

·
Registered
3,912 Posts
Waterproof is the key idea here, almost anything works when it is cleaned every once in a while. Me - I live in a desert, so the waterproof aspect is not as important but that criterion has never let me down.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Thank you!

I'll probably go with Belray, but I also read some people using molybdenum, not sure if Belray is molybdenum.
I'm not sure what you mean by rear wheel pin, but are you talking about the little safety pin that goes into the wheel nut? Or something else?

Anyway, you can overthink grease...

Belray and Maxima are the best imo, there are certain things that require more but probably anything should suit you fine.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts