Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got some damage to the right fairing of my 900SS -- some deep scratches and some cracking around the turn signal.

All the fairing replacement/repair threads I could find were really old, so I thought I'd see what the current status of things is.

What's the best approach? Sharkskinz, new decals, and pay someone to paint them? Send them out for repair? Can one side be done at once or am I gonna want to do both at the same time?

Been trolling ebay for replacements but they are typically damaged.

·
Registered
693 Posts
It all depends on what you are looking for, if you want to keep the bike stock-then replace or repair your fairings that you have (if still stock). If original does not matter to you then yes aftermarket fairings will work fine. You can do them one at a time if you want but doing both would seem a better idea, plus depending on the condition of the paint on the rest of the bike it may be the perfect time to just repaint all bodywork

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
You should try posting on the various Ducati forums that you are seeking replacements. Do searches in the Sale categories. Many people on the forums have sheds full of spares, like I do. I agree you’ll probably want to paint at least the whole fairing to get a nice match, otherwise, what’s the point ? Are you seeking full or half fairings or a whole set ?

·
Registered
93 Posts
I've been looking for some, but they are both expensive and not easy to find in good condition. PO dropped the bike on both sides, so there were deep gouges into the plastic on the corners by the turn signals.

I eventually just repaired it myself. Filled the gouges with epoxy, sanded down, then primed/painted/cleared with a ducati touch up kit I got off ebay. It's not 100%, but even I don't notice it anymore. I think you'd have to point it out to anyone else not looking for it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
It all depends on what you are looking for, if you want to keep the bike stock-then replace or repair your fairings that you have (if still stock). If original does not matter to you then yes aftermarket fairings will work fine. You can do them one at a time if you want but doing both would seem a better idea, plus depending on the condition of the paint on the rest of the bike it may be the perfect time to just repaint all bodywork
I'd like to keep the stock look, but my bike is modified and has enough miles that perfect originality doesn't matter as much to me -- if the aftermarkets look the same, I don't care all that much.

Just have never owned a full-fairing bike before and wasn't sure what the options are as far as repair vs. replacement, and how cost-effective each is. If it's cheaper to just get a set of aftermarket fairings and have them painted, I'd rather do that then shell out big money for a perfect set of originals and be super-nervous about damaging those.

I might be able to repair the fairing myself, but I've botched enough paint and bodywork in my life to know it's not something I'm very skilled at. I guess I hadn't even thought about paying someone to do repair it.

The rest of the bodywork actually looks pretty good, paint-wise.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You should try posting on the various Ducati forums that you are seeking replacements. Do searches in the Sale categories. Many people on the forums have sheds full of spares, like I do. I agree you’ll probably want to paint at least the whole fairing to get a nice match, otherwise, what’s the point ? Are you seeking full or half fairings or a whole set ?
Good idea. So far, all the used ones I've seen have had as much or more damage than the ones I own. That or the price is 1/3 of what I paid for the entire bike. But I've just been looking at listings, not actively asking folks.

Really all I need is half-fairing -- the rest of the bodywork is in good condition.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Check Ducati dismantlers like Woundedduc and Guzzipower. You might find something there better than you have.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
I have a spare set because I bought a set from a bike breaker with better paint than mine, so it does happen.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Well I would suggest you put an inquiry in the classifieds here saying you are looking for fairings, or send a message to duc96cr, sounds like he may have what you want--Or look at SharkSkins or AirTech those are both good options, but if your bike is not close to pristine a decent used set may fit the bill, then repaint everything at your leisure.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Go see you're local body guy. Everything now is two part plastic, adhesive, and filler. The body guys use it to repair plastic car bumpers and fascias to carbon and fiberglass panels. They match it with the right paint. I've done some repairs with marine-tex epoxy. It bonds, builts and sands.

See a good body guy. Most cars are plastic and a good body guy can fix your fairing.

Sure you can cover it. But you can fill the scratches and paint it, probably for no more cash.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts