Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
I know a lot of people are on the fence in whether or not to consider the hyper motard a true motard before we even begin. But I want to clarify that I am including it for this poll as well as bolt in engines, the easier the swap the better. I recently came across the 1198 swap in the hypermotard 1100 chassis. With 150-170 hp depending it’s hard not to cast my vote for this bad boy. Having never ridden in I have already started gathering materials to do so.
please post your experiences with custom motards or hypers or any that you think are superior toan evo sp with the 1198 motor pushing 180 hp on an evo sp frame. It’s as close to a superleggara hyper as we will get.
and don’t get me wrong I have seen the gsxr 1000 motors in the400 dirt bike frames but they look like a weight displacement nightmare while this set up isn’t far from stock weight displacement. Tell me I’m wrong. I want to build. Project motard with way more HP than me evo sp 1100. So far rolling 1100s chassis and an 1198 is where I am headed. Change my Mind
I get the attraction, but at what point do you admit that it is no longer a motard?

What you plan on making with your 1198 engine is a Hypernaked. I just sold one, it was a 2017 Yamaha FZ-10. It was a blast, but for me, in SoCal with all of the tight twisty roads, it was unnecessary. When I was in Arizona (when I bought it originally), it was the perfect bike and if I was still there, I'd still be riding it.

I just found that I'm having more fun running up the Hyper, than I was underutilizing the FZ-10. And if I ran the FZ-10 like I run the Hyper now, I was pushing limits on the street that rivaled my roadracing days, and that's just not where I want to be anymore, not on the street at least.

It's your money of course, so you pick your poison. I picked mine....

Dave

Reactions: Magsz

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
I've discovered it's way more fun to ride a slow bike fast than it is to ride a fast bike fast.

I get it ... I've done these types of things before, as have many others (Kenny Roberts on the flat track bike that had a Yamaha TZ750 two stroke engine, comes to mind for example). As has already been said "it's your money, your time, and you may damned well do what you wish with either". However, what has also been pointed out is ~what is it?~ when it's done? It may be a lot simpler to buy one of the Ducati street fighter models.

So can ya put one of THOSE engines in your Hypermotard? USA! USA! USA!

(rhetorical question, just some joking around ... btw, the red one is street legal in some US states .. check out the brake light/license plate holder ... holy shit! ... can you imagine putting around on that animal? I'd guess it would be similar to riding a really hot 600cc sportbike ... power:weight and such).

:)

·
Registered
2012 Ducati HyperMotard 1100 Evo SP carbon fiber everything, yoshi pipes, intake, ecu, tune
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
K in think if it has dirt bike suspension and a dirt bike sitting position that it’s hard to not consider it a motard. Granted the hyper is as close to a street bike as you can get without losing its motard class IMO but it’s definitely closer to a street bike than say a 400 drz sm

·
Registered
2012 Ducati HyperMotard 1100 Evo SP carbon fiber everything, yoshi pipes, intake, ecu, tune
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I’d love to meet some of these guys in a bar one day...I’m always available...

·
Registered
158 Posts
I think your perspective will change once you find some roads worth riding or take it to a track. You'll quickly realize you're the limiting factor, not the bike.

Also, no one on this forum wants to see you mint a widow and a fatherless child due to reckless riding on the street.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Then get a child of your own to play dad and stop following me around loser

·
Registered
67 Posts
I've discovered it's way more fun to ride a slow bike fast than it is to ride a fast bike fast.
As has already been said "it's your money, your time, and you may damned well do what you wish with either".

View attachment 990733

(rhetorical question, just some joking around ... btw, the red one is street legal in some US states .. check out the brake light/license plate holder ... holy shit! ... can you imagine putting around on that animal? I'd guess it would be similar to riding a really hot 600cc sportbike ... power:weight and such).

Man 'O Man - that red Yamaha is sweet! I would love to swing a leg over that!! A totally different hooligan.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
ThT things pretty

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
K in think if it has dirt bike suspension and a dirt bike sitting position that it’s hard to not consider it a motard. Granted the hyper is as close to a street bike as you can get without losing its motard class IMO but it’s definitely closer to a street bike than say a 400 drz sm
Meh, I still think you are creating a Streetfighter. I just came off an FZ-10 with close to the same seating position as the Hyper, but with the CP4 motor.

It's cool, if that's what you want to do, but Ducati has already done it and I'm sure that it handles better than what you are trying to create.

Dave

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Idk maybe I’ve never ridden one but my hyper handles pretty good. I cut my boys 10’ gsxr 750 lines like it’s a joke

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
K in think if it has dirt bike suspension and a dirt bike sitting position that it’s hard to not consider it a motard.

Bitchin! Now I can tell the fellas at the HD shop that I am gonna build an XR Motard! Right on!!

But, aw shucks .... lousy idea since they got no lean angle (those are DOT tires folks) .....

Granted the hyper is as close to a street bike as you can get without losing its motard class IMO but it’s definitely closer to a street bike than say a 400 drz sm
Ok, say it with me ..... "I .. want ... a ... dirt ... bike ... with ... lights-n-license-n-street rubber". See there? That was easy! ... now, look in the mirror and say the words out loud to yourself .... go on now ... you can do it ... I have faith in you! Here;

"I want a dirt bike with lights and street tires and a license plate". HA! Success! Look atchya go! Easy peasy!

(I'm just kidding with ya .... if you want to hang a fucking Chevy LS7 in a bicycle that's your business. If you have the resources, money, and passion ... jump on it with both feet! It's your motorcycle .... what's right and wrong is determined by you, the owner. Whether I or anyone else agrees with your intentions. This is the USA ... where we've the freedom to make asses of ourselves if we damned well please! We've people here that use Semi-truck tractors as family cars .. not because they must, but because they wish it. I say celebrate the different .... I've forgotten how many times self appointed experts have told me my idea(s) were shit and would not work .... and I went ahead and carried them out anyway ... to great success. Fuck em! You wanna wear a garbage pale on your head at the opera ... go for it! You want to wedge a big ass engine into a Hypermotard? Grab the torch and get to it bitch!! USA! USA! USA! Now go build you that monster truck ... or Italian motorcycle with an oversized engine (are they different?) .. OWN IT .... success .. or failure .. it's 100% on you!).

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
2010” I’m glad you at least defended my rite to do whatever I please with my toys unlike some of these snobs. Although I’ve met a bunch of people here who have both helped me with tips and let me get second hand race parts they were upgrading for sense on the dollar.
And honestly I love my hyper but I wish it was as fast as some of my friends 1000 track bikes in certain areas. And since my wife is pregnant it’s hard to justify another bike. Plus I like that my bike tops out at 145 it keeps me from doing over 100 most of the time since the engine is screaming at anything over 80.
i was just trying to ask the experts if there’s a way to make the hyper check all my boxes but instead of admitting that they like imagination or suggesting ideas they hate and talk smack.
It’s all good. Doesn’t change my day. My life is awesome. Thanks for your honest response btw you seem like a rad dude. If I didnt have a kid in the way I’d probably be hucking my meat into my friends foam pit. I’m close on the flip on the 250.
Anyways when I start the project if you want I’ll send you updates. It’s looking like 1198 in a rolling chassis 07-12 1100s although if it doesn’t need to be an 1100 I might choose a smaller motor chassis. Not sure yet. More of a winter project and waiting to see what motors and chassis I come across.

mans btw I agree with you about being an American. If guy wanted to tell me how much of a &[email protected] I was I invited him to do so face to face. I’m free. I live in New York. But we both know in a bar he’d be quiet as a church mouse.

originallt I just wanted a Motard for the shitty nyc roads but my dad lived an hour upstate and a 400 on a 65mph highway for an hour sounded like an explosion so I went for the 1100s originally. Now I’m hooked. Now I keep wanting more and more so it still feels fast. I think I’m gonna keep this one like this maybe finish the build With big bore And head work but not sure. Definitely will keep lightening it.
Anyways good luck and stay safe. If you’re ever in the Putnam, west Chester, nyc county area message me some nice rides like bear mountain and 301. And despite what these guys think I don’t ride like a madman 24/7 just when the occasion calls for it since these roads are abandoned in spots.
And btw I’m a huge fan of sleepers can you imagine an 1198 hyper Smoking some self proclaimed hot shot who just
Spent 25k on his R1. Just saying. Some fast and the furious type “what’s the retail on that baby?”

I also have a few side projects with swaps like a raptor with a gsxr 1000 motor. My wife is in the car business and has connections with dmv so I have the ability to street legal quads. I’m trying to Make a business plan for it since I think it’s Volvo or bmw who has one now and it’s like 50k. Plenty of room for profit.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Hi Nick, I'm in, I recognize OCMD anywhere. (Obsessive Compulsive Modification Disorder)
My current ride is a slightly (?) modified Guzzi Bellagio, complete with carbon fibre wheels.
Now all the naysayers said that couldn't be done, AFAIK its the only one on the planet.
See, I'm a Guzzisti at heart but I bought a Hyper S in 2007 (for my 50th) when I couldn't afford a Ghezzi & Brian Fionda. The Hyper had the same suspension, similar wheels and weight.
Over the last 9 years I've spent *&%# developing the Guzzi I wanted, it turns like a 675R Street Triple.
Yesterday, I bought an '08 1100 Hyper.
Am I going in circles here?

Anyhow, I don't need more horsepower as the last Hyper turned an ol' fart into a young dickhead, what now?
But I enjoy other people's creations, so keep on with ya build dream.

I have this problem with V-Twins being the wrong way round and they got those chain thingies ....................
So my next build will have to be Tuono 1100 factory turned sideways with a shaft off a Griso in my own frame. Just coz I wanna!

Moto Guzzi Bellagio (bastardized)

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Sick concept. And j suffer from the same affliction. HAters always gonna hate

·
Registered
665 Posts
M4L, a man can never have too many bikes.
I'm up to three now.
The other is an Aprilia RS250 with a 485cc Yamaha motor. (RZ250 with a +4mm stroke and +19mm bore)

·
Registered
501 Posts
I do love Guzzi's and so wish they had continued to develop them. My dirty little secret is that a Le Mans Mk2 turned my head before I first saw an original 900SS. All power to you Ghezzi for chasing your dreams.
PS: I've got to ask - what does 'cutting someone's lines' mean????
View attachment 990911
[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
I have a secret man crush on the mv Augusta triple brutale . Some of those custom kits with the exhausts look crazy. Are they fast? Has anyone ridden or own one?

21 - 40 of 40 Posts