Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys and gals,

What is the best brake upgrade/improvement for the GT? Something that would work with the GT's forks and stock aluminum wheels. I see calipers for sale that have the correct bolt spacing (65mm) but I just don't know about alignment. What are GT owners on this board doing to their brakes?

Thanks.

Stan

·
Official Retired Person
7,489 Posts
I've left both front and rear brakes original on my one owner 2007 GT. That's simply because I have no complaints whatsoever with them. Some people seem to think the rear is useless but mine works quite well. Modulates easily and will lock up the rear. The fronts haul the bike down from speed in a controlled, predicable and repeatable manner. I do not track the bike, it gets ridden for short rides, long rides, wet and dry. When it comes time to replace the pads, I may have to do some research only because there just might be better pads than stock available.

No complaints!

·
Registered
473 Posts
I find the front brake works, but lacks feel and power.

There are only two solutions that I have found that are compatible with stock front wheel.

JC sells some beautiful calipers that were designed to fit our bikes.
DISCACCIATI OEM FIT CALIPERS ~ $1200 (i think)
DISCACCIATI SC OEM FIT

MotoWheels sells Brembo calipers that can be adapted to work.
BREMBO 4 Pad Caliper Set - 65mm Mount $550 + Machining
BREMBO 4 Pad Caliper Set (65mm Mount)

Note that the brembo calipers have to be machined to clear the spokes. It has been done by many and there are threads on this. Both the solutions above will work with other wheels as well.

Cheers,
Lee

·
Premium Member
6,048 Posts
The Special Sport classic OEM fit Discacciati Caliper is $450 per caliper at todays rate. No fuss no muss Plug and play on any wheel for the sport classic

The Brembo NEW 4p4p is $300 per caliper and you have to throw money at it to make it fit.
Of course you can find it used for less money etc etc etc
But I get nervous putting used calipers on nowadays
n any case
I like both calipers.

Just a FYI Ladies
;)

·
Registered
905 Posts
There are only two solutions that I have found that are compatible with stock front wheel.

Note that the brembo calipers have to be machined to clear the spokes. It has been done by many and there are threads on this. Both the solutions above will work with other wheels as well.
Cheers,
Lee
This is not quite correct as there is another option. You CAN install STOCK unmodified non-radial Superbike Brembo calipers (4P2P or 4P4P's) on your STOCK wire wheels with the STOCK rotors and use the STOCK brake lines. Adapters to make it possible to do this are sold by Bevel Heaven.

https://store.bevelheaven.com/new-a...lassics-install-65mm-mount-4-piston-calipers/

I found the 4P4P's I installed on my ride to be a very noticable improvement over the stock calipers and low mileage used sets can be found at very attractive prices. I would never go back to the stock calipers even though I ride only on the street. I feel that you can never have too much brake available. This is just another option to be aware of.

But those Discacciati calipers JC sells do look pretty sweet....

·
Premium Member
6,048 Posts
Neat trick
Old skool for sure
I think the cost would be about the same as getting the discacciati
more or less
and
Dont forget you'll need new lines
The most versatile would be the Fren tubo adapter kit
The line have female threaded fitting
and wen you change or upgrade your Paumps or calipers all you nee dto do is change the Banjo fittings

This is not quite correct as there is another option. You CAN install STOCK unmodified non-radial Superbike Brembo calipers (4P2P or 4P4P's) on your STOCK wire wheels with the STOCK rotors and use the STOCK brake lines. Adapters to make it possible to do this are sold by Bevel Heaven.

https://store.bevelheaven.com/new-a...lassics-install-65mm-mount-4-piston-calipers/

I found the 4P4P's I installed on my ride to be a very noticable improvement over the stock calipers and low mileage used sets can be found at very attractive prices. I would never go back to the stock calipers even though I ride only on the street. I feel that you can never have too much brake available. This is just another option to be aware of.

But those Discacciati calipers JC sells do look pretty sweet....

·
Registered
286 Posts
Speed is just a question of money, how fast do you want to go? Same deal for braking frankly. Have you swapped the pads? EBC makes a variety as do many others.

If you want to be logical and cost effective go 4 pots and maybe replace the master as well. You can find all these parts used and reasonable priced. Keep a bolt on kit in mind as you might wind up with 100+ bucks in custom lines. I prefer Spiegler lines and fittings over Galfer and others, better quality parts.

If you dont want to spend much, try some different pads and bleed with fresh dot4.
Many of the parts off these bikes aren't that old and are off low mileage bikes as take offs due to mods or bike from insurance claims. Brembo is high quality stuff, its not the kind of crap off your old Suzuki or Honda.

The stuff JC is selling is Tits! Id love a set of those beauties! Especially with wire wheels. Oh yeah, if you run those heavy ass things, brake options may be limited. I ditched my wire wheels a while back, pretty but so heavy and pita to clean.

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
Hey guys and gals,

What is the best brake upgrade/improvement for the GT? Something that would work with the GT's forks and stock aluminum wheels. I see calipers for sale that have the correct bolt spacing (65mm) but I just don't know about alignment. What are GT owners on this board doing to their brakes?

Thanks.

Stan
if you are still running the stock wheels on the GT, then I would humbly suggest you use your money to upgrade your wheels first. Then do the brakes. the stock brakes are not terrible in their own right if money constrains upgrading both at the same time.

keeping in mind the interconnected nature of all these pieces/upgrades will make it more efficient for you in the long run to get the bike you want at the end of the day.

I can vouch for the demontech rear brake from JC. another very solid bang/buck upgrade on the brakes. looks cool and improves rear grab.

if you can afford the brembo 4p/4p with the bevel adapter -- it is a vast improvement. you will need custom lines. you do not need to change the master cylinder, the stock will work fine.

good luck.

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
You want the best bang for your buck? Don't upgrade the calipers; upgrade the master. 999/848/1098/1198 radial brake master can be had used for < $200. I upgraded recently, and in retrospect the stock brakes feel like they were basically just on/off. Now there is a nice dynamic lever range (disclaimer I also upgraded wheels and went to 4p/2p goldline Brembo calipers, but I think the master would have had nearly the same effect with stock). If you want to go even further, hit JC up for Brembo RCS, they are trick.

·
Premium Member
6,048 Posts
True
nearly any radial pumps will be a vast improvement!
We have some pics and info from our old site
PAK BIKES HOME OF THE FLEDA & OTHER DUCATI SPORT CLASSIC ACCESSORIES

RCS Pumps are really nice and I have them on my bike now
But not as cost effective as the Discacciati Radials for Brake and clutch with built in tanks
Old skool looks with new skool tech and you don't have to buy fluid tanks
That can be a $150 Savings

BTW
if you do change Stock rotors to the full floaters do not use the stock calipers with them. It becomes too jerky
Where as the Upgrades 4p4p will work fine with the stock rotors

You want the best bang for your buck? Don't upgrade the calipers; upgrade the master. 999/848/1098/1198 radial brake master can be had used for < $200. I upgraded recently, and in retrospect the stock brakes feel like they were basically just on/off. Now there is a nice dynamic lever range (disclaimer I also upgraded wheels and went to 4p/2p goldline Brembo calipers, but I think the master would have had nearly the same effect with stock). If you want to go even further, hit JC up for Brembo RCS, they are trick.

·
Master of Bumnitude
5,133 Posts
In a word, why?

There is always something new. Always something different. And always, always someone who wants to sell it to you.

The SC's brakes have more than adequate stopping power, very progressive action and pretty good feel.

The best way to getter better, smoother, more consistent stop distances on almost any modern bike is to practice one's braking technique. I from time to time do that in the local high school parking lot.

Of course new brake parts can look cool. Practicing ones braking in a parking lot looks dorky. :p

-don

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
I think the standard brakes have lots of bite and plenty of feel... They certainly work well on my Bip and my PS. These are very light bikes...

...but if you wanna upgrade your stopping power (and you have a GT), start with lighter wheels (less rotating mass to stop) then try better pads, then better lever/mastercylinders and THEN look at the calipers...

Just my 2p.

Meanwhile I'm lusting after those Discacciati levers with built in reservoirs. Hmmmm....

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
True
nearly any radial pumps will be a vast improvement!
We have some pics and info from our old site
PAK BIKES HOME OF THE FLEDA & OTHER DUCATI SPORT CLASSIC ACCESSORIES

RCS Pumps are really nice and I have them on my bike now
But not as cost effective as the Discacciati Radials for Brake and clutch with built in tanks
Old skool looks with new skool tech and you don't have to buy fluid tanks
That can be a $150 Savings

BTW
if you do change Stock rotors to the full floaters do not use the stock calipers with them. It becomes too jerky
Where as the Upgrades 4p4p will work fine with the stock rotors
JC - I really like these.

Do they make a lever for the clutch side too?

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
After upgrading the wheels to lighter Alpinas, dropping several pounds elsewhere on the bike, and upgrading the pads, I think the OEM brakes are actually pretty good. Good bite and plenty of stopping power. (Keep in mind I ride primarily street and am slow, so YMMV.)

I still hope to upgrade to Discacciatis one day, but it will be as much for aesthetics as a actual performance.

·
Registered
161 Posts
so a good bolt on upgrade is a Brembo 19x18 radial master off a 1098? I would like a little more feel in the lever

1 - 20 of 33 Posts