Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
Sorry if wrong post section, but I think I don't have access to the "gear" section? Anyhow, I am looking for any recommendations for a pair of boots. I am a new member/rider and want something that provides solid protection but also be able to be used to walk around with out looking like Robocop....
I was looking in the Sidi Vertigo Air....any comments appreciated.
Cheers

·
Resident Raggamuffin
9,716 Posts
so many to choose from.

Sidi and Daytona come to mind. Many will also like Alpinestars.

I've only worn the former two, and think that Daytona boots are one of the best crafted, protection oriented, and comfortable boots available, but they're not inexpensive.

have fun doing your own research

·
Registered
620 Posts
Daytona, without a doubt!

Unless you have wide feet because the Daytona boots are rather narrow.

I wish I could use them myself but unfortunately, they're too narrow for me :(

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I got the Sidi Vortice Air and so far I'm really happy with them (used them on the road and on the track in both the wet and the dry).
However if you want to walk in your boots then a slightly more touring boot might be a better option (my dad has a pair of daytona touring boots wich are great quality imo).

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
My last two pair of boots were Sidi Vertigo (waterproof) and Frey Daytona (waterproof). Both are excellent boots. The Sidi's "seem" to be more protective but that's from looks only. Both are very comfortable (I do a lot of touring and walking in boots) but the Daytona's are the most comfortable boots I've ever worn. Can't go wrong with either IMHO.

·
Happy To Be Here
318 Posts
Dainese axial race
These boots are amazingly comfortable for the protection level, which is top. Apparently these are the only Dainese boots still hand made in Italy (not outsourced) - and it shows.

EDIT - just saw the age of this thread... sorry about that. The one's I'm referring to are the new model, the Dainese Axial Pro "In" boot.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I've got a pair of Puma Desmos for more hardcore riding and a pair of Dianese SSC Alpha ankle boots for short-distance city riding. They're both great in terms of protection but I really wish someone would produce prettier armoured boots.

·
Premium Member
12,401 Posts
Price you looking at ?
And level of protection?

One could spend a small fortune and get one pair of super protecting boots or many be a couple of pairs of the cheaper less protective boots.

Fit is foremost then budget comes into play.

When watching the crash and burn videos of IDIOTS street preforming the Footwear coming off during a crash Is DISTURBING to say the least.

·
Happy To Be Here
318 Posts
I've got a pair of Puma Desmos for more hardcore riding and a pair of Dianese SSC Alpha ankle boots for short-distance city riding. They're both great in terms of protection but I really wish someone would produce prettier armoured boots.
For a "prettier boot" take a look at the Dainese Axial Pro I'm talking about - it is an IN boot so basically it's your riding pants over them. The parts that show (to me) look great. It's super low-key in that respect and for protection - well Rossi wears them so that's pretty much a closed subject for me. They aren't cheap ($500) so that's the only downside but I personally consider them a bargain: amazingly well made, amazingly comfortable for the level boot, and protection right up there among the best. Dainese also has two steps down in this boot at, I believe, $300 and $400. To me each step up was more comfortable and I was't a fan of the styling on the $400 one...

·
Registered
94 Posts
For a "prettier boot" take a look at the Dainese Axial Pro I'm talking about - it is an IN boot so basically it's your riding pants over them. The parts that show (to me) look great. It's super low-key in that respect and for protection - well Rossi wears them so that's pretty much a closed subject for me. They aren't cheap ($500) so that's the only downside but I personally consider them a bargain: amazingly well made, amazingly comfortable for the level boot, and protection right up there among the best. Dainese also has two steps down in this boot at, I believe, $300 and $400. To me each step up was more comfortable and I was't a fan of the styling on the $400 one...
Not bad. Is the upper fabric soft or hard? Quite a strange design for a boot however does that mean they will tuck easier under jeans?

·
Premium Member
6,921 Posts
Not bad. Is the upper fabric soft or hard? Quite a strange design for a boot however does that mean they will tuck easier under jeans?
If your only wearing jeans, why are good boots important?

Just asking, seems a weird question ? What sort of jacket & helmet do you wear ?

Craig

·
Registered
33 Posts
Like a lot of folks here, I am a Sidi fan. I started with their cycling shoes and made the logical move to moto boots. Reasons: they fit me very well, have nice features, very protective (two crashes, no foot/ankle injuries), hold up well (even after the crashes) and they last a long time.

I have tried others - Alpinestars, TCX, etc. - but like the Sidis the best. Save some money by finding some new "old stock" boots that may be a couple model years old.

·
Happy To Be Here
318 Posts
If your only wearing jeans, why are good boots important?

Just asking, seems a weird question ? What sort of jacket & helmet do you wear ?

Craig
Hopefully the jeans are more than just that or I agree, you might want to spread out the protection. The lowest level of gear I have includes some revit jeans with knee and hip pads and an abrasion layer. (armored/padded mix perf leather jacket with back insert & gauntlet length gloves). With those pants the "in" aspect of these Dainese boots is nice, they are pretty low key but I'm happy to have the full brace around my angle with the interior frame. To answer the earlier question, the pull-over portion of the boot that goes over the CF interior brace is soft.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts