Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
I think the cost of resetting the service light depends on your relationship with your dealer. If you support your dealer, buy things from him he is more likely to do it for free or a couple of dollars. It is not a 2 minute procedure. Once you hook up the DDS there is a series of checks that must be performed. Takes about 10 minutes. So add in the time to roll the bike in the shop etc ect then your light take 15-20 minutes. Dealer has to pay the tech, the rent Ducati for the DDS and license and you can see why they may charge a couple of dollars. I have no problem with that. I do have a problem if the dealer refuses to turn the light off if you do your own service. My dealer MotoUnion in Milwaukee has always been great about stuff like that.

·
Sophomore Member
2,588 Posts
Not in the U. S. Manufacturers may have statements that any work done by anyone other than a dealer voids the warranty, but it carries no weight in the U. S. because of the Magnuson-Moss act.

·
Premium Member
3,674 Posts
Right to repair or something like that... you DO need to have proof that you performed the needed maintenance... but mfgr's can't force you to use their service organizations (and I'm sure they REALLY hate that)

·
Registered
7,116 Posts
That’s interesting, though I’ve seen what a determined person can do with a wrench....
When I had my Triumph, all their parts, eg. mirrors in my case, come with “ to be installed by trained Triumph personnel “ sticker....

·
Registered
16 Posts
I agree if you like to do your own maintenance then having to have reminders reset at the dealer can be an annoyance. My dealer is a 45 min ride away.
I have been friends with the owner for decades including riding Sundays and taking a few multi week trips. Oddly enough I have never purchased a bike from him. I do take the Multi to his shop for some maintenance, and I will admit the pricing is hard to swallow. However, he has also been a bike dealer for almost 50yrs and has the customer base that proves he is a great dealer. That said if a dealer gives you an attitude, find another dealer. And if the dealer needs to charge you a couple of bucks to reset a light so be it. I don't work for free, why should they?
That said, It is next to impossible to find a bike or car that does not require a trip to the dealer for something. It is all part of the plan. Planned obsolescence to make consumers keep paying to keep the economy humming. Emissions regulations that do little to protect the environment but do plenty to keep dollars flowing in. This is of course just my 02 and not looking to get into a discussion.
Stay healthy everyone and social distance as much as possible preferably on two wheels!!

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have owned several Ducati's as well as other "high end" bikes and have always done my own maintenance (where feasible).. I do oil changes every 3,000 to 3500 miles ( oil is cheap and it gives one a chance to check things all over the bike). There is a "mandatory" annual service which will turn the Service Engine Light on. Part of that is an Oil Change so I bite the bullet and get one of the Dealers to do the annual and reset all the "lights". It is not cheap but then neither is the initial purchase of this sophisticated machine.

Do I wish that Ducati had an equivalent to the BMW tool from Hexcode (GS911) - YES!!!! I have a GS911 and do everything on my BMW's. When Ducati went with the Bosch ECU, they really put the kibosh on DIY maintenance activities to a major degree.

It's not an ideal situation but then I'll have to quit riding at some point and sell the Ducati's so it will be someone else's problem but I'll have Dealer maintenance records.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey guys, I seldom view these threads since I'm over at the Supersport forum but thought I'd weigh in on this one. We've been using a bluetooth OBD adapter along with a Android diag tool to view and reset CELs on our Supersports. I've used it multiple times on my 2017 SS. You can't reset the service indicator with this tool as others have pointed out. Dealers are forced to electronically attest to performing the service through the manufacturer's diagnostic tool. I'm assuming this is the same with the DVT Multis. While I agree it sucks, I guess Ducati is trying to drive owners to their dealer network to survive which in the end is critical for our sport. Ducati sales were flat worldwide for 2019 and down 2% in the US. Anyone who personally knows a motorcycle dealer understands it's a very tough business to be in, most barely survive. That said, seems like at some point, miles or time, that rule could be relaxed IMHO to reduce cost of ownership for older bikes.

·
Registered
736 Posts
While I agree it sucks, I guess Ducati is trying to drive owners to their dealer network to survive which in the end is critical for our sport.
I hear you but for me I will not buy a new Duc before something is available to clear service reminder. I'm not that far away (180 miles) from the dealer but no locked down ecus for me. I prefer simple bikes and I'm curious how the tech filled bikes will age.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I realize I already asked this...but the TFT on newer ducatis has a LOT of information on it. Does one/two small red box[es] really bother you that much? I got used to mine in about 30 minutes, now they just sit there permanently.

@Ricko you would really base a purchase decision on the ability of turning off that notification? It doesn't
change your ability to do the actual work...

·
Premium Member
3,674 Posts
I realize I already asked this...but the TFT on newer ducatis has a LOT of information on it. Does one/two small red box[es] really bother you that much? I got used to mine in about 30 minutes, now they just sit there permanently.

@Ricko you would really base a purchase decision on the ability of turning off that notification? It doesn't

View attachment 981885
Yes... drives me nuts... but I generally have my dealer perform even oil service so it's not an issue. While I'd not be happy at a dealer charging me $50 to reset the oil service light... I DO think it's really important to support your dealers when it comes to limited sales products like Ducati... otherwise you won't have a dealer.

·
Premium Member
3,674 Posts
Please allow me to offer a budget alternative for anyone not near a dealership. Get a roll of electrical tape, neatly cut a square piece and place it carefully over the red notification box. Problem solved.
So I shit you not... my last Subaru had a tire monitor system and Subaru wanted $400 for a set of sensors for my winter wheels... that black electrical tape is STILL on the dash covering the light (my kid has the car). BUT - I couldn't do that on a Duc... bit obsessive about them.

·
Registered
178 Posts
My bike is still under warranty, I'm not about to go in there for warranty work and then explain why my CEL has been on for 8 months :)

·
Registered
736 Posts
you would really base a purchase decision on the ability of turning off that notification? It doesn't
Not just for that, read and erase obd codes at least. Ability to write a new map is nice also.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
The check engine light is off, plugged in a trickle charger for a few days and all seems to be good now. Weather is warming up and been able to do a few rides, now if only we could get a handle on this virus and get life back to normal. Be safe, great way to self isolate by going for a ride.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Only 2 dealers in about 100km radius and they both have the same attitude to people wrenching on there own bikes, the dealer I bought the bike from closed down, not really sure why they had been in business for many years. Laws also state that warranty can’t be voided for working on your own bike, sure if something happens to the valve train, heads etc I will have to accept the cost but if the écu fries or gas tank starts to leak etc that’s on them. I don’t have a problem paying and hour or two to have the lights switched off but now that the cec light I’m happy and live with the other lights on

21 - 38 of 38 Posts