Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love my 2016 multi touring but I hate the way Ducati has made them not dyi friendly, I realize it is a high tech bike and quite complex to work on but really ,,,,oil changes, adjusting chain , changing brake pad Must be performed by your authorized dealer, F*** that, my love of motorcycling is the relaxing satisfaction of working on my bikes, we have a long winter here in Quebec so I have the time to work on the bike for the up coming season. I do the maintenance anyway and live with the service lights on the dash, just did the 30k valve adjust and everything else on the 30k check list but the cel came on and of course we have no way to plug in a tester to check without the dealer, could be just a loose connection , who knows,,,oh ya the dealer knows ,,once I bring the bike on a trailer to the local shop, 1 hour away which is not bad from other people. If it’s under warranty I guess they will put up a fight to say it’s something I did caused the problem, if it’s something I did, prove it and I’ll pay otherwise just fix it I hope. Motorcycle needing software updates wtf. Sorry for the rant , To much time on my hand with social distancing, love the bike but need to clear cel. Stay safe everyone

·
Registered
276 Posts
I would agree with most of that, but I don't see why you can't do any of it. My dealer allows me to do my own oil changes, but I do need to pay them $50 to reset the oil change reminder. My dealer is a 90 minute drive away, but takes more like 2 hours on the bike because I always take the back roads to get there :)

My BMW was the same way, but luckily there were some cost effective ways to reset the oil minder without going to the dealer.

I don't see why you couldn't adjust the chain or change brake pads though??

·
Registered
224 Posts
Can't see your point, bike manuals have said "Must be performed by your authorized dealer " for ever . You're obviously not intimidated by doing a valve service. Why would that line in the manual mean anything? You don't have to trailer your bike to the dealer unless it won't start. If a light comes on, ride it to the dealer and say it's under warranty, can you check this out. Why would you hate it? Don't be intimidated, it's no different that a 90s Honda.

·
Premium Member
3,809 Posts
I would agree with most of that, but I don't see why you can't do any of it. My dealer allows me to do my own oil changes, but I do need to pay them $50 to reset the oil change reminder. My dealer is a 90 minute drive away, but takes more like 2 hours on the bike because I always take the back roads to get there :)

My BMW was the same way, but luckily there were some cost effective ways to reset the oil minder without going to the dealer.

I don't see why you couldn't adjust the chain or change brake pads though??
$50 to reset the reminder is BS... that shop would never get a dollar from me. I've had it done twice and wasn't charged by either shop.

Reactions: Pampero

·
Registered
224 Posts
$50 to reset the reminder is BS... that shop would never get a dollar from me. I've had it done twice and wasn't charged by either shop.
Well good for you. Dealers have to pay hugely inflated costs to Ducati to get these tools and diagnostic computers. They're not going to just hand our freebies at every turn when you don't use their services. it's $50 ffs, relax

·
Registered
6,714 Posts
I guess that’s one way of looking at it. Then, when it’s time to buy a new bike, explain why I’d buy a bike from that dealer , rather than whoever will sell it cheapest ? If you’re going to make all about the money, don’t expect any “ customer loyalty “.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Well that's good for you, but my next closest Ducati dealer is several hundred miles away, so I'll stick with paying $50 once a year or so instead of hoping the next one is running a non-profit organization :p

·
Mexican Ducatista
1,101 Posts
I love my 2016 multi touring but I hate the way Ducati has made them not dyi friendly, I realize it is a high tech bike and quite complex to work on but really ,,,,oil changes, adjusting chain , changing brake pad Must be performed by your authorized dealer, F*** that, my love of motorcycling is the relaxing satisfaction of working on my bikes, we have a long winter here in Quebec so I have the time to work on the bike for the up coming season. I do the maintenance anyway and live with the service lights on the dash, just did the 30k valve adjust and everything else on the 30k check list but the cel came on and of course we have no way to plug in a tester to check without the dealer, could be just a loose connection , who knows,,,oh ya the dealer knows ,,once I bring the bike on a trailer to the local shop, 1 hour away which is not bad from other people. If it’s under warranty I guess they will put up a fight to say it’s something I did caused the problem, if it’s something I did, prove it and I’ll pay otherwise just fix it I hope. Motorcycle needing software updates wtf. Sorry for the rant , To much time on my hand with social distancing, love the bike but need to clear cel. Stay safe everyone
I also like to work on my bikes and I never take them to the Ducati dealer.
This is the reason that has prevented me from buying a Multistrada or a diavel (the 2 bikes I am considering to add to the stable to make it more diverse). I might choose to buy a 950 Multi in the near future. The engine is not as complex and I really don't need more than 113 ponies.

·
Premium Member
3,809 Posts
I guess that’s one way of looking at it. Then, when it’s time to buy a new bike, explain why I’d buy a bike from that dealer , rather than whoever will sell it cheapest ? If you’re going to make all about the money, don’t expect any “ customer loyalty “.
Right... I have all significant service done at the dealer, but if they nickel and dime me that tells me where their head is at and I move on.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The 600km I brought it to the dealer just for new bike piece of mind, the oils light came on the year after for the yearly oil change, I brought it to the dealer so they would turn the light off but they said they wouldn’t because I only wanted the oil change not the complete yearly check up. I do do the chain adjust etc but it’s just the fact that they presume no one will do it properly unless you are ‘authorized’ . When the weather gets better I will go for a ride to the dealer to have it checked out. All this said the bike has never let me down in 32000kms and every time I hop on it puts a smile on my face.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Yeah I'm no expert on the multi since I just bought mine last fall, but AFAIK, the CEL and oil change lights are separate, so I don't see what reason they should have to refuse, assuming you can provide them with receipts proving you purchased proper oil and filters (I buy mine from the dealer to avoid this issue)

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm 250 miles from my dealer and so use Melcodiag, a Ducati 4 pin to OBD adaptor and the correctly chipped OBD with a USB cable. Connect to a Windows laptop and can reset the service reminders and figure out some codes that are thrown. It takes a little googling to get it all figured out. But it cost less than $50!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Anojones , are you using the melcodiag on a DVT motor , I was understanding there was nothing that works with the 2016 and up multistrada, no one has cracked the Bosch ecu. If it works you’re my hero.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Does the service light bother you that much? Mine's just always on

I find the chain adjustment on this bike to be as easy as any bike I've owned. Brakes are a real bitch if you don't do it perfectly but if you do, it's just another brake job.

As for valves and anything that requires opening the motor...whatever the dealer charges for that is a small price to pay to ride this bike. It's just marvelous.

·
Premium Member
3,809 Posts
Does the service light bother you that much? Mine's just always on

I find the chain adjustment on this bike to be as easy as any bike I've owned. Brakes are a real bitch if you don't do it perfectly but if you do, it's just another brake job.

As for valves and anything that requires opening the motor...whatever the dealer charges for that is a small price to pay to ride this bike. It's just marvelous.
that light would drive me nuts...but agree about everything else.

·
Premium Member
3,809 Posts
The 600km I brought it to the dealer just for new bike piece of mind, the oils light came on the year after for the yearly oil change, I brought it to the dealer so they would turn the light off but they said they wouldn’t because I only wanted the oil change not the complete yearly check up. I do do the chain adjust etc but it’s just the fact that they presume no one will do it properly unless you are ‘authorized’ . When the weather gets better I will go for a ride to the dealer to have it checked out. All this said the bike has never let me down in 32000kms and every time I hop on it puts a smile on my face.
If the bike is due for it’s 30k desmo service then it needs a lot more then just a checkup so that’s what your dealer is worried about.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts