Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys looking to upgrade my 95cr thought it would be fun to ask for opinions on everyone's favorite topic.... Performance!!!!

So I'm starting a thread to compile info on performance mods best bang for the buck. You send in you opinions and I'll try to tally the results.
I know I want the 41mm FCRs.... That is a big bang for the buck, but wahts next??? Termis or are Remus a better BBFTB mod? 888 forks or race tech valves BBFTB? This could be a good thread to ponder our performance Dollars budgets BBFTB

09 GT1000 Ohlins F&R Termis, Rizoma everything
95 SS 900cr Alum swing arm 5.5 rear with 170 misc bling.....???.
81 SR500 Yamaha total Cafe project

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Magnesium wheels. You don't need FCR's.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
You definitely want FCRs; they are the biggest bang for the buck! After that, either suspension (I have Superbike forks and a Penske shock) or magnesium wheels.
Joe

·
Registered
503 Posts
I'm assuming that slip-ons/Jet kit have been done as I've rarely seen an SS where this hasn't been done. If not, I'd start here, I personally love the sound and feel of a 900SS with these simple mods.

Next, I definitely vote for suspension tuning as it can make a noteable change in the ride and would get my vote for most bang for the buck.

I personally wouldn't venture into 944 territory on the older bikes, I have 3 different buddies, 3 different bikes ( 2 SS's and 1 Monster) that have had charging system/starter/battery issues pretty consistently because the 944 takes more effort to turn over ( at least thats the explanation Ive heard).

I don't have experience with the FCR's, for the most part people seem to love them.

Wheels sound good, but the "buck" part of the equation is usually pretty high...

No matter what, the 900SS is a great bike even in its stock form.

·
Registered
266 Posts
performance improvements

+3 vortex

my monster 750, 749 and 900ss were all geared for top end, so I went +3 on the rear on all. huge improvement in low end dig for short bucks. the push-back at 6K rpms is very sweet on my 900ss. no more lugging about, or slipping the clutch for smooth take-offs in first. it has been my experience that +2 on the rear is "ok" but still results in a little lugging in first while chain rub on the swingarm top plastic guide prevents -1 on the front.

ratio on +3 is 2.667 (8% steeper than stock of 2.467). 8% off my rated top speed of 140mph is fine by me, cause i'm old. :D

plenty of opinions of the HP advantages of termis/open air box, but i'd be surprised if you got more than 2 -3hp everythere.

next on my wish list is gold valves/respring/lighter fork oil wt for the forks, followed by termi's (still miss that rumble i had on the monster). maybe rear shock? sargent seat? lighter wheels would be my first choice, but ........... $

good luck,
bobp

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
I personally wouldn't venture into 944 territory on the older bikes, I have 3 different buddies, 3 different bikes ( 2 SS's and 1 Monster) that have had charging system/starter/battery issues pretty consistently because the 944 takes more effort to turn over ( at least thats the explanation Ive heard).

QUOTE]

I modified my '96 SS/SP with 944 kit, HC pistons, lightened flywheel, 41 mm FCR's on Malossi short intakes, Race Tech springs, Barnett billet clutch, race weight CR fairing, aftermarket cans, and a bunch of stuff I can't remember. It was pretty kick ass. It did turn slowly when starting but never failed to start, even in cold weather. The FCR's were a major "bang for the buck." Without a choke you had to twist the throttle a few time to start it but never an issue. In conversations with Bruce Myers he guessed that it made in the high 80's for hp at the wheel. It was pretty cool. When I did the mods it had about 8K mi. on it. I ran it for another 20K mi. with no issues.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
815 Posts
I'd do suspension before the FCRs. These bikes are oversprung in the rear but undersprung up front.

·
Registered
297 Posts
My ride

I have gone mostly for bling myself.

I put 39mm flat slides on and an Ohlins rear shock, and Alth rotors, and a wave rotor on back, and Vortex 39 tooth sprocket, and carbon parts, and Dyna coils and race wires, billet triple clamp, and just about every other fancy milled billet part made.

As for things to consider you could do the 944 big bore kit, or a nichols flywheel, ti rear swingarm rod. A fork swap is good, something I'll be doing, just looking for some good SP forks first.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Double sparkplugs. They improve throttle response and after that you can only wonder why they didn't do that in the factory (before 1000ds). It doesn't cost much to make holes for second plugs.

·
Senior Italophile
867 Posts
Suspension. Wheels.

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
BBFTB first day Tally and opinion

BBFTB first day Tally and opinion

Great start guys thanks for helping!!
I’m sure many of us can make use of these results. I think I will make basic categories, Like under $100, under $300, under $600 under $1200 and then big bucks. Hey you guys with the mag wheels… bless you I love the idea but if I could call that BBFTB I would buy a 996 super bike instead. I figure a used super bike is around min 8K so…. Average SS 900 is 4K so… BBFTB would mean: lets see if we could keep our dream SS900 project to 4k in mods… if I make my budget max 4k in additional parts ( 5k max if you just love the ss so much!) then sorry probably no mags…. L
BTW this is a street bike. Hey INDY 36 Thanks for the pics your bike is inspirational.
My GT is loaded with bling and I love it to. I have some billet going on the SS like the clutch slave etc. but here I’m thinking more about BBFTB performance wise

The first thing I did on my GT 1000 was go to a 14T countershaft sprocket MAJOR difference. Supersport guys don’t like to put a 14 on front because of clearance problems but that is not so on the sport classic. I next added Termis kind of big bucks for the e.i. DS 1000 but way cool…. I added a comfort seat well worth the bucks… so lets see about the Supersport 900.

How much are dual plug heads? And maybe one should just wait and do that along with the 944 kit (if that is in the budget) I’m thinking get all the BBFTB stuff that is cheap and wait on the expensive mods until I’ve done everything I can do on a budget.

Under $100
BBFTB is Gear ratio change, -1 in front or +3 rear maybe not so low if you have FCRs and a 944 kit.

Under $300
BBFTB is fork kit like race tech which I have in my SS and it is great.
Barnett clutch would be nice, there could be some improvement there.
Billet clutch slave

Under $600
I have a sergeant seat on my SS and a Ducati comfort seat on my GT, great mod
Used super bike forks possible and or used rear shock?

Under $1200
BBFTB 41mm FCR carbs is in the lead ???$900??
Aftermarket pipes ???$500-$1200 Any Ideas on price here?
Better rear shock ??? Used?? New $1000???? Any Ideas on price here?

Big Bucks
944 kit high comp

Keep them coming !!!! I’m getting Ideas. I’ll post some pics soon. Aloha

09 Ducati GT 1000 Ohlins F&R Termis Rizoma bling
95 Ducati SS 900 CR
81 Yamaha SR 500 total cafe project bike

·
Premium Member
748 Posts
One piece of advice I've got for the OP is to consider just selling his 900CR and finding a '93 SS or a later SS/SP. The suspension is better, brakes, the rear wheel is wider, the swingarm is aluminum, and he might find a bike that already has a lot of the stuff I've listed below. Even if he dumps the CR for $3k, there have been a lot of SS/SP's that guys are buying for $4k or low 4's. At least the SS/SP makes for a better bike to start with, and once the economy starts kicking the SS/SP's will definitely climb in value.

Since at this point in their lives most of these bikes already have aftermarket pipes, I'm ignoring that. This is my list:

1. Revalve forks and have suspension professionally tuned. This is the cheapest and best mod you can make.

2. FCR Carbs. I have one 900SS with them, and one without, and there is no comparison in the way these bikes run with the FCR's. I'm waiting for my next valve/belt service for my FE to install FCR's. The bike with FCR's is a kick to ride.

3. Dynacoils. A must-do with FCR's IMO. Easier starting and better low speed throttle response. A cheap mod at $200, and easy to install.

4. Sargent saddle. This is actually an expensive one considering it's not a performance mod and it will cost you north of $400. A huge improvement if you spend long days on the bike though.

I don't see much point in going beyond this stuff (maybe HP pistons) because I think if you're going to spend much more money, retrofit superbike forks, etc, you might as well just buy yourself an 851 or 888. At least then you've got an honest collectible that if certain to appreciate with time. The only 900SS's that have any real future value are Superlights and FE's, and based on current values for those it's only a small premium over a standard SS (really mint Superlights are stronger though).

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Your CR shock is better than an SP shock wrt valve. Both suck in that you can't adjust ride height via the shock.

Once you go to a Spaghetti header and have your carbs jetted the advantage of the FCR is gone.

BCM always ran stock ignitions on their race bikes (900cc) from what I understand.

It all depends on what you are looking for. If you just want to ride a lot, then go for the seat first. Easy do it your self mod. Double bubble windscreens are nice also.
I personally have concentrated on reliabilty and handling prior to power.

·
Registered
41 Posts
How much are dual plug heads?
You don't have to change heads to get double spark plugs. You can make holes for second plugs. That's how i had it done. Works like a dream.

I don't think that i have modified much my bike and everything seems to be quite well in budget. Total is under 2000usd.

-Tuneboy engine management
-Ported heads with larger nimonic valves
-double sparkplugs
-2-1 exhaust with termignoni muffler (DIY)
http://juhana.pp.fi/images/album/car and bikes/SS900FF/Pakosarja/
-dyna coils

I'm not finished with mapping but first run in dyno gave 80rwhp and it was running way too rich. A/F was 11... After that ignition map has changed, AF is now 12,5 and there is still some work to do. Biggest improve was in torque. Now it starts to pull from 4000rpm and 6000-9000rpm is really sweet. The whole package is totally different from what it used to be.

Next stage is to get Öhlins rear shock and front internals, STM slipper clutch and monoseat conversion.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Forgot, If you don't have a competent clutch cover and crankcase cover these might be first to be done. Ounce of protection.

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
BBFTB Day Two Tally

BBFTB Day Two Tally.

Thanks for all the cool suggestions
OK My 900 ss CR already had a few mods. the first 7 on the following list. I picked it up for 3K and added some new things. I live on Maui (hard to buy and sell Ducs, no dealer here) and I love it so I’ll keep it, just want to get all the logical BBFTB upgrades, doing all my own work

My 900 ss CR already has the following mods: Most of these were also mentioned as BBFTB on this thread

Race tech fork kits
39 T Rear Sprocket (just right IMHO)
Corbin Saddle (I thought it was a sergeant)
Givi Bar risers
Billet Clutch Slave
Double Bubble Smoked screen
Billet breather and fill cap
MPL billet CS and Clutch covers
MPL pressure plate and SS springs
5.5 inch wheel just got on Ebay
Aluminum Swing arm just got on Ebay
I’m planning on a 170/60 on the rear and a 120/70 on the front
I’m sort of making a SP out of a CR????

From what I’m hearing here I’m doing great so far and I do love my SS. I know I want exhaust and FCR carbs but I need to figure out BBFTB between these two items, I know it depends on which pipes I get (help?) I love the Termis on my GT but $$$$ what’s the BBFTB on exhaust.

Obvious items I’ve learned from my new pals here. Thanks to you all I tend to agree with Josephvman about the whole thing. Also VTGPDUC I’m confused how can the spaghetti exhausts make the FCRs insignificant? Seems like they would work together? Sledgrehammer, Nice bike!, I agree with you and others about the Ohlins Rear Shock, but I would wait on the heads until I need to take them off anyway BTW How much for the mod? Dyna Coils (they can’t cost that much ) get some performance and some bling for small ; $ win-win

Next: help me prioritize: is this the best order, BBFTB ? The bike handles great and has good acceleration and plenty of top speed. Still I want to keep improving over time BBFTB first;

Exhaust
Carbs
Ohlins rear
Dyna Coils
Head work
944 kit at rebuild time

What do you think? And Thanks again for the support and fun with the first thread I’ve ever started.

BTW I have the cracks in my Aluminum Swing arm at the pivot, (that I just got on Ebay) I want the billet upgrade that I saw on a one listed now on Ebay if you have this problem check out this link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160361574033&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

09 Ducati GT 1000 Ohlins F&R Termis Rizoma bling
95 Ducati SS 900 CR
81 Yamaha SR 500 total cafe project bike

·
Premium Member
748 Posts
Wow, what great pictures? What kind of camera, and how do you host them? I take good pics and they look like crap on photobucket.

You don't have to change heads to get double spark plugs. You can make holes for second plugs. That's how i had it done. Works like a dream.

I don't think that i have modified much my bike and everything seems to be quite well in budget. Total is under 2000usd.

-Tuneboy engine management
-Ported heads with larger nimonic valves
-double sparkplugs
-2-1 exhaust with termignoni muffler (DIY)
http://juhana.pp.fi/images/album/car and bikes/SS900FF/Pakosarja/
-dyna coils

I'm not finished with mapping but first run in dyno gave 80rwhp and it was running way too rich. A/F was 11... After that ignition map has changed, AF is now 12,5 and there is still some work to do. Biggest improve was in torque. Now it starts to pull from 4000rpm and 6000-9000rpm is really sweet. The whole package is totally different from what it used to be.

Next stage is to get Öhlins rear shock and front internals, STM slipper clutch and monoseat conversion.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
If the priority is handling then get a decent rear shock and springs for the fork first and foremost. An Ohlins rear was a huge benefit. .90 kg/mm. springs on the front balanced the suspension response front to rear.

Wheels.....to make a real improvement you need mag or carbon wheels, plan on $2500 minimum. This would be my next and last upgrade. Those that have done it swear by this.

I've got 41 FCR's, hi-comp pistons, dyna coils, and 15/39 sprockets. This is a very good package for these bikes. I ride with a guy that is on a 999 and when he is leading, and we both pull around a car to pass and roll it on I'm right with him. An un-scientific test to be sure, and needless to say on a long straight that wouldn't happen. But the basic premise is that for twisty road riding it's plenty of power.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Wow, what great pictures? What kind of camera, and how do you host them? I take good pics and they look like crap on photobucket.
I use Nikon D200 and Sigma 18-50mm 2.8 lens. My picture host doesn't compress pictures so the image quality doesn't change. I have 50GB space for pics and it comes with my DSL deal.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts