Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1999 ST4 I've been trying to sell, and potential buyers have balked because of cosmetics. It runs very well and has only 28k miles on it. I'm retiring from motorcycling, but I'm not going to give this bike away. I parted out an old BMW years ago, and it was very satisfying because a lot of buyers were very happy to get the parts to keep their old bikes running.

Any suggestions for traps to avoid? Should I sell certain parts first before others?

·
Premium Member
5,656 Posts
As one of those who’s been buying parts from parted out bikes for a project, my advice would be to sell some things in assemblies. As a buyer, I avoid buying the brake pedal for $30, the brake pedal mount for $30, the master cylinder for $30 and the freaking mounting bolts and spring separate too. I would buy the pedal, mount, cylinder, bolts, switch, spring etc for say $80 in a second, however. What you should think about is do you want to attempt to maximize profit by selling every bolt and small piece separately (and wind up keeping most of it, who really needs rear brake mount bolts without the mount too) or do you want to move the parts and make a reasonable profit ending up with few leftovers. Larger items, like the forks, sure sell them separate from the brake calipers and triples. I'd sell the triples as an assembly, bearings and all. As a buyer, I like parts I can bolt on and use without having to search for the bolts and other small parts too. Even if I didn’t need everything included, I'd rather buy the assembly at a fair price and sell off the rest at a later time or keep for spares.

When I bought the frame for my project bike I got the one that had most of the hardware. Engine mount bolts, rear suspension and swing arm pivot bolts. It even had the coil mount, steering stabilizer mount, and special air box mounting bolts included as well as a bag with all the rubber wire straps and the steering head eccentric. It was about $50.00 more than another frame that was completely stripped of every part. Well worth the extra $50!

I’d say consider which parts are specific to the ST and sell them in a way that would appeal to someone repairing crash damage, for example. Other items that will fit many other Ducatis, probably sell in smaller assemblies. There are really two types of buyers for parted out bikes. Those repairing (crash) damage and those (fools like me) who are building a bike from scratch. Not many folks building up an ST, so consider that when listing ST specific items. Sell big, or wind up with a box of leftovers.

One last thing. I LOVE buying grab bags of stuff. Just spent $45 on a big grab bag of Superbike teardown hardware. Nuts, bolts, fairing screws, exhaust springs, those funky little dog-bone looking things you see for rad mounts and such, looks like there is even an extra neutral switch in the bag, which I need. That is a way to get rid of the leftovers. Much of the hardware is the same for many Ducatis. Years ago, I bought a bag of stuff like that from an ST teardown. It has proved very valuable both for replacing parts as needed on my ST and for the 916 build.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Parting out ST4

Thanks for the great advice! I'm not interested in making a profit, I just want to get a fair price for the sum of parts, so I should be able to sell assemblies as you suggest.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.