Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
The Ohlins are supposed to be good, having said that I've got the stock damper and have never had any problem with it, seems to work fine :)

·
Registered
709 Posts
I can't speak for the other brands, but I had an Ohlins on my 748, and it worked perfectly. In all honesty though, even on the track, my stock unit handled the few head shakes I had with no trouble.

I have Bitubo on my SS [I don't know if they even make one for superbikes] and It seems to be a very good quality unit also.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I do a lot of riding in town, and the streets are fuxxed, so I wondered of an adjustable would benefit city vs open road riding or if thats just hype.

·
Registered
791 Posts
I removed my stock damper for a short period because it was hitting the corner of my cf tank. I can tell you the damper does make huge difference in the way the bike tracks/turns on the superbikes. Other bikes it's not so noticeable. I ended up replacing it with a OEM Ohlins unit. The adjustability is awesome depending on what type of riding you're planning on doing. One or two clicks forward or back to lighten or stiffen it up. I went with the Ohlins because it was an easy no brainer. With the Scotts/GPR units, you will have to install the special adapter plate made for the superbikes that fit on top of the triple. This makes it cumbersome to remove if you ever need to get to your triples or rake adjustment. However, one thing that's nice is the adjustments are right there in plain view. With the Ohlins/Bi-Tubo/DP, you'll have to reach around to get to the knobs. But you'll get used to it in no time. Either type you go with, it's a good upgrade. Not a necessity but it does what it does.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I thought the stock damper on my 996 was crap. One particular ride did it for me: it was fairly hot out and I was accelerating on some pretty bumpy and patched pavement, and the front end shimmied like mad. I got a Toby damper because I got a good deal on it, and it's head and shoulders better than the OEM one. If I could justify spending the cash, I would definitely get the Ohlins.

S

·
0 Posts
The Scott unit is made by Ohlins but is sold under the scott name in the U.S.. Go figure. Both unit are great but the standard Ohlins is much easier to adjust on the move. If you decide you want a Ohlins give me a call and I can help you out.-Ken

1 - 7 of 7 Posts